1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

PS2 VF4 Trial Mode -Translations (Part1)

Discussion in 'Console' started by CreeD, Feb 11, 2002.

1. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I 'translated' the trial modes on PS2 VF4 - I actually translated nothing,
    this is just a short description of what each trial is trying to teach you, and
    how to pass it.

First: choose whether to go through trials with a saved character on the memory card, or choose "CD ROM" to pick any of the game's 13 characters. The first one is Akira, and that's who I picked for the trials below. Many of these trials will be different for other characters.

1A : Beat your opponent's guard by attacking on different hit levels. You can use mid attacks vs. crouching defenders and low attacks vs. standing defenders. Your goal is to hit wherever wolf is not blocking... i.e. he'll block high for a bit, so use low kicks (or whatever). When he blocks low, switch to elbows (or another mid). Do it five times.

1B: teaches about the concept of interrupting attacks. Interrupt wolf's comically slow charge charge attack with your own strikes. You're given a little 3 second countdown so you can see it coming. 5x.

2A: Basic throws - throw successfully five times. To make it harder, the opponent jabs every couple of seconds.

3A: Learn to block correctly. Jerky does a series of high, mid, and low attacks. You must correctly block (or avoid) these attacks nine times in a row. Since this is more about memorization than anything, you can cheat and use this pattern:
    HLHLLHLLH

3B: Block complex canned strings correctly. Observe Jerky's PPEPd+K a few times, then block it correctly three times in a row.

4A: Successfully QR/TR three times after being knocked down with a knee.

4B: QR/TR throws. Wolf twirls and you must QR/TR it three times.

5A: Struggle out of staggers. Jacky does a puntkick, which staggers you. You must struggle hard enough to recover and block the next puntkick. Do it three times. Probably the easiest struggle situation in the game.

5B: A little tougher, but still easy: Use struggling techniques to roll out of Akira's pounce after he connects his dodge attack. For effortless success just hold down on the stick and keep tapping guard.

6A: A less than realistic situation... use an elbow to stagger a croucher. The unrealistic part is that aoi crouches the instant she senses the execution of your elbow, thereby ensuring the result is a stagger. IRL of course you must predict the crouch or recognize it on sight. Anyway, press f+P 5 times and be done with this. Other stagger-inducing mids work also.

6B: Cause a stagger (using an elbow in this example, but whatever will work).. then hit the staggering opponent before they recover. The example is akira's elbow stagger, PP combo. My suggestion to get more out of this: Try to figure out what will hit after a stagger and what won't (e.g. will DE? SDE? b,f+P+K?). Five repetitions and you're done.

7A: Float your opponent three times. Akira is encouraged to use the shrm.

7B: Now float'n'combo. Example is Shrm --> P --> DLC. I think the condition is just to inflict a certain amount of damage over several float combos. Basically just practice shrm combos until the game says you're a winner. If the game never says this, you are a loser.

8A: All about dodging. Just dodge three times.

8B: Building on the previous exercise, dodge wolf's slow attack three times. Notice the "major counter" dodge properties. Again you're given a timer to make the MC dodge easier.

8C: Now dodge and use the canned dodging attack (dodge+PKG) to punish wolf after you correctly anticipate and avoid his slow attack. 3 reps.

9A: Building on the previous exercises, the game shows how you can (sometimes) attack and then safely avoid your opponent's counterattack with a well-timed dodge. In this case, let the opponent block your sidekick, then dodge his immediate dashing elbow.

9B: Using the same technique as before, bait your opponent into the evil dashing elbow. This time, don't just dodge it - dodge'n'attack using PKG.

9C: dodge the knee strike in vanessa's canned PPK combo. Time the dodge after successfully blocking the first two punches. 3x.

10A: A demo, you need not do anything except choose "NO" at the end. This shows how you can punish the opponent's dodges by using any throw.

10B: Another demo showcasing more techniques you can use to foil dodges. One is to just guard and then use a safe P(G). Another is to use an attack that tracks (?? In this case akira's DJK hits). Or you can just keep blocking.

11A: This shows how some attacks are counterable and some are not. Jeff does a high/low punch rush that akira cannot beat with throws. However, when jeff commits to a knee, akira cheerfully throws him. You're expected to watch for counterable attacks (f,f+P,P ... knee... b+K,P ... etc) and then throw. Do this five times vs. a variety of attacks.

11B: This teaches you how to recognize some common counterable and uncounterable attacks. You're encouraged to throw counterable moves and low punch the ones that are safe when blocked. Five mC throws will cover you here, I'm not sure if low punching is worth any credit here. Probably not. You get to choose your opponent here! Now you can figure out which common attacks and canned combos are safe and which aren't.

11C: A demo that seems to focus on anti-backdashi/machi techniques. Akira backdashes, and jeffry punishes him by forward dashing and doing a throw. The next backdash is followed with jeffry's elbow drop (to no effect? Is the game showing how backdashes can avoid some anticipated moves??). The third back dash is punished with a crouch dash into XPD.

11D: Here are some guessing games you can try after you successfully land a punch major counter. Jeffry follows his high punch MC with a knee, which floats akira. Next time, akira blocks after the MC punch, so jeffry throws him. Then akira tries a quick, safe attack the next time he eats a punch. Jeffry foils this by doing a low punch which MC's the safe move and allows jeffry to throw.

12A: Low punch MC tactics. The first low punch MC you saw got jeff a throw, but in this example Akira punches jeff out of an obvious XPD attempt. The game also shows how an elbow after the low punch MC is effective (Jeffry is staggered).

13A: First we see a risky move get blocked. The CPU throws Akira for free. You are shown how throws in these situations can be escaped. Let Jeffry block your yoho and then escape his P+G throw afterwards. 3x. A good training stage to test the counterability of various attacks.

13B: Building on the previous lesson, the game shows that while Akira can predict Jeffry's throw, he can't predict which throw jeffry will use. By guessing incorrectly, Akira eats jeffry's throw. So you are shown that by entering multiple throw escapes, you can avoid many different kinds of throw attempts. The game kindly slows everything down so that you can see Akira's bodycheck getting blocked, followed a second later by three lightning quick throw escapes. You are then expected to triple escape correctly 5 times. To keep it fair the game keeps track of your inputs, so just guessing which throw jeff will use doesn't cut it. Only a 'true' triple escape will register as a success.

14A: E-TE (dodge, throw escape) training. You just had an uncounterable attack blocked, now comes a guessing game. The opponent might throw or they might attack. You can reduce the guessing game by dodging after your blocked attack - then immediately enter a P+G throw escape. If your opponent chose an attack, you avoid it. If they chose a throw, you escape.

14B: This shows how sometimes throw escaping is not enough... what if the opponent chooses to counter with an attack while you're busy trying to escape throws? The solution is to use the throw escape - guard technique. Call it TE-G or G-TE or whatever you want. Jerky blocks your attack, you must then 1. quickly enter a throw escape, 2. release P+G for a fraction of a second, 3. press and hold Guard. If it's all done correctly, all of jacky's attempts to counterattack will be foiled. Five reps, you're given plenty of time. The game doesn't make it clear that releasing P+G before pressing guard is needed. I couldn't do it just by pressing P+G, then releasing P.

======================================================
    That's it for part 1. I'll have the rest up tomorrow or so. I'd need to be awfully bored though if I were to do this for ALL characters. =)

2. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    WOW...great stuff creed. This is very helpful. Nelson, Rodney, and I were trying to figure all this shit out yesterday, but to no avail.

I love you Creed.

3. Triple Lei

Triple Lei Well-Known Member

OMG, thanks a lot...!

...and you'd better be hella bored for the next few weeks! XD (and I never say "hella"!)

4. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I love you too bunny. Don't forget the tongs and the icy-hot.

5. Killbomb

Killbomb Well-Known Member

Re Trial 11B: Yes, you do get credit for low punching the "safe" moves. So either throw the slow recovering moves or low punch the quick ones. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif
    Also, in the TTE trial (13B), I found it was much easier to do the escapes in this order: F+P+G, D+P+G and finally P+G. It seemed that every time I would start out with P+G, I would fail. Perhaps I was pressing P+G too quickly and doing F+P+G took the split second longer I needed to register the escape. Anyway, hope this helps anyone having trouble with the TTE.

6. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

I KNEW IT!!!!
    I knew that's the reason I didn't see u bring ur ass online for the entire weeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!~ /versus/images/icons/smile.gif /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

7. Sausage Man

Sausage Man Active Member

I thought you could throw counter everything in 11b. Isn't that the one that the computer low punches after every move?

8. Kaede

Kaede Active Member

In Trail 13B a DTE will register as a success.

9. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    In 14b, i got it to work by pressing PG and then releasing P.