1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

ps2vf4 U.S. version movies.

Discussion in 'VF.TV' started by CreeD, Mar 12, 2002.

1. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I gots a few... three to be exact.
    ftp://vf.dyndns.org/recent%20vf%20movies/PS2_USVER_VF4_wolf1.avi
    <a target="_blank" href=ftp://vf.dyndns.org/recent%20vf%20movies/PS2_USVER_VF4_wolf2.avi>ftp://vf.dyndns.org/recent%20vf%20movies/PS2_USVER_VF4_wolf2.avi</a>

Astute players will figure out where these are from /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

=========
    some information on the translation quality...

-Kumite mode is still called kumite. Your opponent's names are translated. I'm wondering if any of the off-color ones (I heard one was called like evil bitch pai or something) are translated. From what I can see, some of the translations are kinda lame: Krazy Kage!

-In trial training, staggers are called staggers, tech rolls/quick rise are called "Exact recovery". The official name for 3D walk is used... ARM - all range movement.

-There's a semi-transparent banner at the bottom left during ranking matches that tells you what will happen, e.g. "your rank goes up if you win".

-Kyu/Dan are translated, so you see "1st Kyu" ... "tenth dan".. etc. We can only assume haou and above will get translated too, and that some of the translations will be funny. Fist King and Mini-Emperor... hrm

2. takira

takira Well-Known Member

does it have replay in it!? vs reply!
    I heard they gona improve the antialising from the japanese versioN! cause it was lame!

3. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

riiiight.. anyway. I asked the guy who made the flicks if anything seemed new or different, he says no.

A trick ppl can try to improve the antialiasing: Boot up the PS2 without a disc, then press triangle. Go to the version info where they show the graphics and CD driver, and change graphics to "Smooth". Changing CD rom driver to "fast" might also help with load times.

One more thing about the movies: they were encoded in DivX 5. If you can't watch them, you need to go to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.divx.com/divx/>www.divx.com/divx/</a> and choose the first option for download. If you have a mac, I also have the original 20 meg mpegs. I'll post those in the recent movies folder now.

If anyone has a slow connection and wants to know the best movie to DL, I recommend the second wolf one, it shows the most translated stuff.

4. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

...change graphics to "Smooth". Changing CD rom driver to "fast" might also help with
    load times.

I'm pretty sure those options only affect PS1 games... and setting the drive to "fast" may even cause some games to crash. I think I read that in the PS2 manual.

5. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

smooth works on armored core 2. I can't say I noticed on VF4, but I only tried it once a while ago.

6. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Heh, how could you notice? Aren't you connecting to your TV with coax cable? /versus/images/icons/shocked.gif
    =)

7. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    I got my us version from my homie at SOA on monday. essentially the same.

I'll post more impressions later, but for now:

files cannot be shared between versions. system files, replays, characters, nothing.

the trial stuff is translated very nicely, and the glossary no longer needs to be unlocked.

the weak-minded, puritanistic, terrified, lame, thumb-sucking, pussy-ass, crying for mommy cunts at SOA have edited almost anything to do with shun's drinking. while he still drinks and gains strength, the manual says that his style "pretends to be drunk" and he gets stronger by "pretending to drink". and once again, unless I'm seeing things, shun NO LONGER TURNS RED. cunts.

Spotlite

8. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Re: Shun

Isn't the game rated T for "teens" because of "mild, life-like violence?"
    So if someone gets drunk in a movie, then its going to be rated R? Can't let anyone under 17 see that kind of behavior... /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif
    Are there actually people out there that would complain about a video game character getting drunk? What about all those RPG's where it's mandatory to visit the local pub whenever you enter a new town to hear the latest gossip/hints?

9. Darknight

Darknight Active Member

Save data can be used between JP and US version if you convert the data. You'll need an EMS memory card adaptor to aid in that process. I've already converted data between versions.

10. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Which bytes do you edit to convert character files from JP to US? Also, is there a way to change character names through hex edit...? (One of my friends created a "vs Howy" character but wants to change the ring name to something more generic now...)

11. Bu_Jessoom

Bu_Jessoom Well-Known Member

"Save data can be used between JP and US version if you convert the data. You'll need an EMS memory card adaptor to aid in that process. I've already converted data between versions. "

Man I would love to try that. Did you convert your charecter files as well?? Or just the system files? If you can convert the charecter files, I am gonna go ahead and order the adapter.

And if you can do so, I assume it's gonna show your records, Items, and all?

12. Reno

Reno Well-Known Member

Yupa: it's more of a proactive stance that they're taking by removing any mention of Shun's drinking. Most companies are very afraid of consumer backlash about their products ("oh, my little son Johnny bought your game and in it there's a character that DRINKS! You'll never see my money again!"). Sad, but true. Sega feels it's better to just get rid of any potential problems than face possible complaints about it. It's too bad we're way more uptight on these issues than in Japan. :\

13. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

I know I'm stating the obvious~~~
    It's hypocritical. The whole game is violence. One person beating up another.
    If you're going to complain about drinking, then why aren't you complaining about the violence in the game first? Don't bother answering... It's the same as nudity on american TV. You can show people being shot and killed with little complaint from the public, but as soon as someone shows half a cheek, it's time to call your congressman /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

14. akiralove

XBL:
    JTGC
    what really pisses me off about this is the way SOA markets themselves as this edgy, progressive alternative to companies/products like nintendo. Even the VF4 poster I got from SOA and the back of the US package say "prepare for a beating!". What are they going to beat me with, their terrified PC limp wrist?

The more I know about SOA, the more I realize it's all just bullshit. I feel bad saying this because of my friend who works there, and I know his job means a lot to him. SOA's entire existance is just as a group who's job it is to sell Japanese products to Americans. And if you ask me, they don't do a very good job of it. I think the reason is that in Japan and Asia, people understand that Sega games are products for hardcore gamers, and there those gamers truly drive the industry. In the US, SOA tries to sell the same enthusiast-oriented products to who the US game industry sees as it's most important customer: the casual gamers.

The real joke is that as far as I can tell, the latest game to take the casual market by storm is GTA3. Everywhere I go, every person who even mentions games starts going on and on about GTA. This is a game where you can go up to stereotypical gay-looking character models in the street and shotgun or flamethrower or baseball-bat them while they say "YMCA" or "In the Navy".

and SOA thinks that having shun turn pink will cause some kind of uproar? Actually, they don't think that, the publicity would be good. they think that in some remote way, somewhere, it might hurt sales. That's what gets me, they've edited someone's art because they think they'll make more money that way. But as GTA proves...

chickenshit grovelling worms

Spotlite

15. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

That was a great roasting - I don't suppose you would forward something like that to 'real' SOA email address (I know your friend's got one)? ... maybe even a re-edited version?

16. akiralove

XBL:
    JTGC
    It wouldn't do any good. That's the last, possibly the most insane part of the SOA puzzle: they're so arrogant that they'd never consider for a moment that they'd done something that was up for criticism. Seriously, every time I've tried to give input to the people that handled VF4, they just act like I'm some kind of annoying fanatic. Actually, they put on this air that suggests I'm some kind of fanboy jocking them for the inside scoop (which couldn't be further from the truth, since they don't know shit). I've never met more casually rude or aloof people. Do they think it's good business to condescend to their audience? Or that it's a wise move to ignore people who are essentially experts on the product you're selling?

Last year, a handfull of us from the board made a 15 or so page document about what we wanted to see in the PS2 version, which we gave to the VF4 product managers to look at before they asked AM2 for specific things. They just wiped their asses with it, and submitted their own genius ideas like Tag Battle, CG endings, extra costumes.....

I remember one thing in particular we mentioned was game balance accuracy, using wolf's double claw after GS in DCtb as the example. I was told that even though it was explained numerous times to the PMs (who consider themselves hardcore gamers), they couldn't understand what we were talking about.

Their idea of how to sell VF4 to the masses was to make sure it was just like every other game.

There's really no one who cares. Maybe a Japanese magazine would find it interesting. I know Famitsu had a coulmn where Shinjuku Jacky went to play VF4 in Korea, and he took pictures of the strange buttons, arcades etc. Seriously though, I don't even think Suzuki cares. I think it's obvious to him that it's all pearls before swine at SOA, so he should just focus his energy on the market that cares, Japan.

Spotlite

17. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Damn...so that's what happened to our suggestions eh?~

Thankfully...Yu realized the value being able to save replays..a good training mode etc etc etc.

Thank god.

""I think the reason is that in Japan and Asia, people understand that Sega games are products for hardcore gamers""

It's funny. Before I settled down in Down Under...I was never laughed for being a hardcore Sega Fan/Nintendo Fan.

I never had to answer questions like 'can ur machine show CG intro? Mine can haha!"

It's still like this today. Just last week when Xbox was launched..I rocked up..hoping to find JSRF. Well, no JSRF, no xbox for me. I then went to the demo booth...hoping to catch a glimpse of DOA3. Well guess who was there?

Some dickhead arguging with a girl abt Xbox being the only machine worth buying cause Gamecube is for kids. His theory behind Gamecube's failure is plain retarded too.

According to him..he said "there was a 8bit nintendo machine, a 16bit nintendo machine, a 64bit nintendo machine..now 128bit, parents will be pissed off with nintendo..thus they won't buy''

I stood there n told myself what a fucked up theory it was. It's like saying we all should stop buying shoes because eventually it'll wear out anyway...so why buy em? Go bare footed instead!".

Anyway..it was indeed amusing to see him n the girl argue n stuff...then the girl said ' Well GC n PS2 has Sega...there's no way they can lose to Xbox'...the guy's reply was just plain anal... "Well The DC sucked, that's why they stopped it n started developing for Xbox...THE MOST POWERFUL MACHINE ON PLANET EARTH".

I walked up..gave him the finger..told him where to go and left.

I was shocked when I first arrived in Melbourne, seeing for myself (first time in my life) how casual gamers were...how poorly maintained the amusements were.

More importantly, I was put through hell during the Sega Saturn era..all thanks to ozzisoft (the fucks)

When the DC was launched (finally) it was painful to see ozzisoft ripping ppl off..charging 99 bucks per month to go online with the DC.

Since then..I was convinced that Sega for some reasons...likes to employ dickheads/ignorant/arrogant/stupid/losers to help sell their products.

No wonder they failed.

thank god my friends were willing to send games n consoles to me for these past ten yrs.

(Sidenote: it was funny to see microsoft employees trying to sell DOA3 " there's 4 buttons, lp,rp,lk,rk. A total of 24 characters...My fav character is Paul by the way...he's the really cool ninja u see in the intro".

Bleh.

18. BZMew2

BZMew2 New Member

If I remember correctly, shun's face didn't turn red in the USA version of Virtua Fighter 4 on Saturn either. I think SOA said some false shit about "hardware restrictions" or something as an excuse.

19. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I walked up..gave him the finger..told him where to go and left.

<hr></blockquote>

i would've choked that guy... seriously. /versus/images/icons/crazy.gif they say ignorance is bliss..../versus/images/icons/crazy.gif