1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

PS3 VF5 FAQ

Discussion in 'Console' started by Myke, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    PS3 VF5 FAQ
    This hopes to answer many of the Frequently Asked Questions about the Playstation 3 version of Virtua Fighter 5. Please keep in mind that I have not played any of the builds or the final version.

The information in this FAQ is largely based on the latest build that was provided to the media. How close this build is to the final version, which went Gold only a couple of days ago, remains to be seen. Personally, I'd be surprised if any major features or changes crop up in the final release.

I will also try to keep this FAQ updated as new information comes to hand. Apologies in advance for any errors. Please point them out to me and I'll happily correct them.

Contents
    • FAQ Version History
    • Release Dates
    • Game Version
    • Player Profiles
    • Replays
    • Censorship
    • Language Settings
    • Region Settings
    • Online Support
    • HD Resolution
    • Joysticks
      • SEGA Virtua Stick High Grade
      • HORI Real Arcade Pro Stick 3
      • HORI Fighting Stick 3
    • Game Modes
      • Arcade
      • VS
      • Quest
      • Dojo
    • VF.TV
    • Customize
    • Options
    • Closing Words
    FAQ Version History
    • 2007-02-06 v1.2 Updated Language section. Added Region information, Online Support and HD Resolution.
    • 2007-01-27 v1.1 Added Censorship and Language sections. Updated Joystick availability in the US. Added more information on Replay files.
    • 2007-01-26 v1.0 Initial version.

Release Dates
    • Japan: February 8, 2007
    • Asia: February 8, 2007
    • US: February 20, 2007
    • Europe: March 23, 2007

Game Version
    The PS3 port of VF5 is based on VF5 Version B in the Arcades.

Player Profiles
    The player profile system consists of 30 profiles in total.

There is no longer a limit, other than the global 30, to the number of profiles you can assign to character. In PS2 Evo, there was a limit of 2 per character. However, in PS3 VF5 if you wanted to assign 2 per character, you couldn't because you'd need 34 profiles in total (17 characters x 2), and I find this strange.

Profiles are not transferable. Like PS2 Evo, they appear to be a part of the system file. So, you can't take your profile to your friend's place, and use it on his system.

Replays
    Just like in PS2 Evo, you can save match replays in Versus mode. You can only watch match replays in the VF.TV game mode.

Again, like PS2 Evo, replays are saved as stand-alone files which means they are transferable. Filenames are automatically generated by the system, and include information on the date and characters played, much like PS2 Evo's. The files have a proprietary format, but seem to consist mainly of recorded inputs. Playing back a replay via the game is essentially a process of streaming the inputs into the game engine. As such, replay files are very small in size, making them easily transferable.

VFDC will support the upload and sharing of PS3 VF5 replay files once the game is officially released.

If you wish to encode a movie of a match replay, so that others may watch on their computer (or similar device), then you must connect your PS3 into a video capture device and use the appropriate software to do so.

It appears as though you can not save replays in Arcade or Quest mode. It will be a shame if it remains that way in the final release.

Censorship
    Yet again, Shun Di does not turn red as he drinks. However, Vanessa's "bra" style outfits are in the game this time.

Language Settings
    The in-game langauge defaults to your PS3 language settings. If set to Japanese, you'll get everything in Japansese, and likewise for US-English. This affects all game menus and text, AI character names, ranking names, and commentary.

Therefore, you won't find any of the Japanese-named AI characters in the English mode, and vice versa.

It is unknown if Shun Di will turn red as he drinks if you switch your language settings to Japanese.

Region Settings
    There is no region protection on the game. Therefore, you can play any region game disc on any region PS3. Yes, this means you can buy a Japanese or Asian version of the game and play it in your US PS3.

As mentioned in the Language Settings section, the in-game language will default to your PS3 language settings. So even though you have a Japanese game disc, everything will be in English if your PS3 is set to the English language.

Note: The PAL version has no in-game commentary. It was removed/disabled due to localisation issues within the various PAL territories.

Online Support
    The PS3 version of VF5 has no online support or functionality whatsoever. You cannot play online. You cannot connect online and download or upload any saved data or replays.

However, it is not outside the realm of possibility that updates may be downloadable via PSN. This is not confirmed and purely 100% speculation.

HD Resolution
    The game has been confirmed to support 1080p HD resolution.

For more information regarding PS3 configuration, hardware, resolutions, and lots more, check out PhoenixDth's PS3 Tips and Tricks FAQ.

Joysticks
    Currently, there are 3 joysticks available and worth considering for PS3 VF5:
    • SEGA Virtua Stick High Grade
    • HORI Real Arcade Pro Stick 3
    • HORI Fighting Stick 3
    The only joystick officially being sold outside of Japan is the HORI Fighting Stick 3. For the other two, try your local game import store, or order one online from a site like Play-Asia.

SEGA Virtua Stick High Grade
    Play-Asia: Buy Virtua Stick High Grade (PS3)
    Price: $79.90 USD
    [​IMG]

HORI Real Arcade Pro Stick 3
    Play-Asia: Buy HORI Real Arcade Pro Stick 3 (PS3)
    Price: $89.90 USD
    [​IMG]

HORI Fighting Stick 3
    Play-Asia: Buy HORI Fighting Stick 3 (PS3)
    Price: $49.90 USD
    [​IMG]

Note that the prices above are as at 26-Jan-07, and do not including any shipping fees.

Game Modes
    [​IMG]
    Main Menu

ARCADE
    Battle your way through a set number of opponents and fight Dural at the end.

VS.
    Battle against another human opponent in versus play. Saving match replays in this mode is possible.

QUEST
    All arcades in Quest mode are immediately available. In PS2 Evo, you had to "complete" one arcade before you could unlock the next, by placing top 3 in that arcade's tournament. There are no "Quest Orders" to complete in PS3 VF5, as there are in PS2 Evo.

[​IMG]
    Quest Map - All arcades are immediately available

Once you enter an Arcade in Quest mode, you can select which machine to challenge on, and which AI character is currently dominating it.

[​IMG]
    Quest Arcade - Who's playing in this arcade?

There are two types of tournaments: Local and Official. Local tournaments are held in the arcades. Official tournaments are held in Event Square. Invitations to tournaments occur when some criteria (as yet unknown) is met.

[​IMG]
    Event Square - The place for Official Tournaments

DOJO
    This is the renamed Training mode. There are two types of training available in the Dojo, Command Training and Free Training.

[​IMG]
    Dojo - Improve your skills​

One of the biggest shocks to fans regarding this home port is the lack of any tutorial or challenge training. These highly regarded features from the previous PS2 versions will be missed. How will the new breed on the PS3 take to learning the game? By asking on VFDC of course!

VF.TV
    Here you can watch saved replays, exhibition matches provided with the game disc, or promotional movies.

[​IMG]
    VF.TV - A theater for VF matches

CUSTOMIZE
    Customise the appearance of your character in this mode. In PS2 Evo, this was previously available only within Quest mode. Moving it out to the main menu makes more sense, since you can use your customised character anywhere within the game, not just Quest!

The level of customisation in VF5 has been improved since VF4. There are more areas on the body that you can equip, as well as 4 different outfit types per character.

OPTIONS
    Standard options game settings will be found here.

Panty Shot
    The obligatory panty shot, just to see if you're paying attention.

[​IMG]

Closing Words
    Do you have a FAQ suggestion or question about the PS3 version of VF5 that you need answered? Have you spotted any errors in this FAQ? Let me know here!

Screenshots taken from gametrailers.com video preview. Joystick images from Play-Asia.

2. vfcypriot

vfcypriot Well-Known Member

my friend the vf5 come in march in europe and australia.

3. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Yeah, sorry about that. The FAQ is now corrected! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

4. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

5. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    I'm pretty sure the last of the 3 sticks is being offered locally here in the US. Game retailers EB and Gamestop have it up on their sites, w/ a Feb 2nd date last time I checked.

It's too bad they've screwed the pooch again w/ some of the features, it seems rushed to me. I'm hoping we can play the "Knockout" mode from arcade version B. I can't believe they got the character save file right with the very first version for the PS2, where a PS2 memory card could basically be used like an unlimited vf.net card, and inserted during character select.

Of course, the reason they didn't try harder is obvious: no one in Japan gives a shit about these things, they can just go to the arcade.

6. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

7. gregor_thewolf

gregor_thewolf Well-Known Member

Hello!

What kind of format are the replay files in? Can they be played on a computer?

Can you use a custom character to act as your training dummy in Dojo mode?

When setting up exhibition matches in VF.TV, can you use customizations on the characters?

8. KTallguy

KTallguy Well-Known Member

As far as I know, they are in a VF5 proprietary format. You need a PS3 and VF5 to watch them.

9. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    FAQ updated.

2007-01-27 v1.1[/size] Added Censorship and Language sections. Updated Joystick availability in the US. Added more information on Replay files.

10. Griever

Griever Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Griever_PL
    The most important question. Is there any, even the slightiest possibility of VF5 for PS3 being changed before the launch.
    By changes I mean, tutorials, and transferable characters. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

11. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Come on, be serious, how much time left until the release, two weeks? Nothing's gonna get changed... :p

12. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

vf5 is in the gold phase, so the game is finished. Sega is making copies ._. that's all

13. gregor_thewolf

gregor_thewolf Well-Known Member

Two weeks... but I want it noooooooooowwwwww...

Oh, and to add to the FAQ, the release date for Asia is also February 8.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

14. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

"The obligatory panty shot, just to see if you're paying attention." ^___________________^!

By the way, the Tekken Zaibatsu peeps are said to be using elecom convertors fine for PS2 sticks to PS3 so if anyone wants a convertor for their old stick (I know I do) that seems to be the way to fly.

15. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

16. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

I can't believe Plague hasn't posted to chortle over his name placement as one of the arcade fighters! pictures for the win!

GE

17. Krafty Matt

Krafty Matt Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Matt_K
    XBL:
    KraftyMattKraft
    Do they have support for non-widescreen televisions? As it stands now, I will not be able to afford one for a while, but I still want to play this game.

18. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Yes.

19. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    You ordered a stick huh? You order a PS3 as well? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

20. Kikimaru

Kikimaru Well-Known Member

PSN:
    kikimaru024
    No tutorial/challenge training FTL /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif
    AM2 better have this ready for Ver.C...

Also, is there no way of linking 2 consoles together for a Jap-arcade-style setup?