1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Punishing (ever so softly) with Aoi

Discussion in 'Aoi' started by Sebo, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    You don't need this.

2. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

I think /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif generally does more damage then /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif

3. Sorias

Sorias Well-Known Member

33P+K can do more, but the move takes more to learn than 66K. Depending on whether your opponent was standing or crouching when it hits (counter hit may matter too), it will change how high it launches, which changes what you can combo off of it.

4. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

This is largely irrelevant when you're using the move as a punisher though.

5. DubC

DubC Well-Known Member

Akira DblPlm is -13, not -15 (or else I wouldn't use it as much).

6. Sebo

PSN:
    Sebopants
    False. It is a 13i move, but is -15 on block.

Good point! Will update.

(thanks for input, seriously)

7. LDC

LDC Well-Known Member

Holy Jesus (takes notes)

8. Sebo

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Wait... what?

9. Leonard_McCoy

Leonard_McCoy Well-Known Member

That's hell of useful! TY for updating it!

10. Sorias

Sorias Well-Known Member

My point before was relevant because you punish both standing and crouching opponents, depending on what move they used. It's just worth noting for beginners that it's a lot easier to whiff the juggle combo with that move, despite the increased damage.

That said, there's something that's been bothering me about your posts for a while, sebo... I can't really figure out who your audience is. First off, this is cool info... the first section of your first post with the annotated Aoi moves is really great. But, the rest of it... it's all info that's readily available in the site's move lists already, and it basically requires playing the game and going through dojo anyway to understand it. That is, even a long time player like me, who can use a lot of characters, can't recognize any random opponent's attack by seeing the input command, generally.

It's not *really* a criticism... you provide some great info, but it often seems too in-depth for a beginner to want to read, or be able to absorb... but too extensive(?) for an expert to actually need all of it.

11. solfizz

solfizz Well-Known Member

Dude this is awesome Sebo! Great effort!!!

12. Sebo

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Stupid banter.

Banter banter banter.

13. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Concerning Akira, add blocked /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif to the -12 list.

ps. Good work. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

14. ViperExcess

ViperExcess Well-Known Member

Good point. IMO punishment should be a basic concept for everyone to learn and apply at any skill level. Granted, it's hard to recognize when one can punish and which punisher to apply in timeframes nearing 1/5 of a second. But people should take things one step at a time. Learn the actual punishers first, and then learn when you can use them. Getting the punishers down cuts off a lot of unnecessary "learning time" or add s a lot of it, depending on the person, haha.

I disagree. Long time players, especially ones who fool around with other characters, should be able to recognize moves from solely their inputs. It's part of the whole "long time playing" thing.

15. Leonard_McCoy

Leonard_McCoy Well-Known Member

I may have a stupid question but:

What is a guaranteed follow-up/finisher for Aoi's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif [-> into stagger]?

16. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    I forgot to say, concerning Akiras
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif//forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif
    If you block /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif you can throw Akira before /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif. CPU taught me this. Wont get clashed or anything Akira is just thrown. One of the reasons I rarely use the evade after the shoulder. I doubt this info is that useful unless the opponent uses the evade way too much. Getting hit with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is much more of a threat.

17. kingo

kingo My bitch G0d3L is a scrub Content Manager Aoi

PSN:
    kingofvf5
    XBL:
    kingofvf4
    "/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif - This is an option when the opponent is at -16. Sure, a punishment list should have guaranteed options, but has a few benefits: being a special high it can be used to punish standing and crouch-recovery moves and it staggers on hit. (These won't be listed, just look at the frames and use when you feel like it)"

Are you sure you can use a special high attack to punish crouch recovery move ?

18. Fulan

Fulan Well-Known Member

thanks for the list of disadvantages per char. very useful.

19. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Not in its recovery, no.

20. Sebo

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Banter banter banter.