1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Q: Are Japanese Software Companies Necessary to Win The Console War?

Discussion in 'General' started by sayow, Jun 23, 2002.

1. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://virtuafighter.com/versuscity/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1024849480sayow">

<font color="yellow">Are Japanese software companies necessary to win the console war between PS2, Xbox and GameCube?
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />Yes
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />No
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />Undecided or Need More Information
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>
    </font color>
    CLICK HERE TO SEE THE CONSOLE WIRE/BLOOMBERG REPORT

<font color="white">"Investors already think Xbox is irrelevant in the Japanese market,'' said Makoto Suzuki, who helps manage $1.1 billion in Japanese equities at Chuo Mitsui Asset Management Co. "Sony is now the maker of choice among owners of home-use game consoles.''...

"It's a certainty that the Xbox isn't a threat anymore to Sony's PlayStation 2,'' said Toshiyuki Fukushima, who helps manage 250 billion yen in Japanese equities at Sumisei Global Investment Trust Management Co. "I'm interested in how this will affect the parts suppliers for the Xbox.''
    </font color>

<font color="lightblue">That having been said that in April 2002, Xbox is likely not to get very many software companies to back it. If they feel that way toward Xbox, GameCube cannot be too far behind...

These are my questions:</font color><font color="yellow"><ul type="square">[*]Are Japanese software companies necessary to win the console war between PS2, Xbox and GameCube?[*]If YES, who are the most important/necessary Japanese software companies needed to win the console war?[*]If NO, who are the most important/necessary non-Japanese software companies needed to win the console war?[/list] <font color="lightblue">Thanks for joining the discussion ahead of time. I'm just curious of what the VF4 Community thinks...</font color>

2. HighKing

HighKing Well-Known Member

Yes, of course Japanese game developers are most important for any console. Big name developers such as Capcom, Sega are important, and back in the PS1 vs. Saturn days Squaresoft had to be the most important developer. If you look back at previous consoles you'll see that the console with squaresoft had beat out their competitors. Squares Final Fantasy 7 was important in the ps1's victory over the Saturn. It sold huge amounts on the PS1, launching the playstation's popularity. Unfortunately it was supposed to come out on the Saturn but it did not, so that game and that company were important to the playstations success. But that's just one example of how japanese developers contribute to the success of a console. I can't think of any memorable american made video game. RPG's were the most popular video game genre in the 32-bit era which were mostly made by japanese developers.

3. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

<font color="lightblue">Side 1: It's never been done before...

Side 2: It's a brand new era for video consoles. Anything is possible...</font color>

4. HighKing

I should've never replied dammit. /versus/images/icons/mad.gif

5. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Well, the most powerful jap. developer is probally Sega, who is fully supporting Xbox....Capcom is supporting Xbox (Tekki droooool)

6. stompoutloud

stompoutloud Well-Known Member

We will just have to wait and see who fails first huh? I mean, it's ultimately up to the gamers that buy the game. Heck, remember the N64 and it's limited software selection. They hardly had any japanese developers in the beginning but they had lots of european developers that helped them make money. Then you have a lot of japanese companies making quality games that didn't sell. (ie dreamcast with Jet Grind Radio, Crazy Taxi, Ecco the dolphin). So it just depends on each individual game. Obviously, the more support for a system, the better.

7. HighKing

The only reason Nintendo survived against the playstation is because of one reason. [6]POKEMON[4]

8. stompoutloud

stompoutloud Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. I mean, Nintendo never borrows any money. So they are never in debt. So they survive almost everything. Also, goldeneye had a lot to do with it. But then again, that was the past and another fiscal year to take of for each of the three companies. Good luck guys.