1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Akira

Discussion in 'Akira' started by Chinny, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Chinny

Chinny Well-Known Member

I have a question about using Akira's[2_][6][P],[P], [2_][4][6][P], and [2_][6][P]+[K] in mid-air combos.

Something along the lines of this has probably already been asked/answered, but I'm new on this site and just started playing VF4:Evo about a week ago. So please be patient with my lack of knowledge.

For instance, I've seen [P], [2_][6][P]+[K], [2_][4][6][P] used after his [3][3][P] floater. And [2_][6][P],[P] used after his [6][6][6][P] on a counter hit.

Is there a way you can buffer the attacks that start with [2_] so they execute quicker. I've been trying to just do it as fast as i can, but it's not working for me.

Any suggestions?....Or do I just need to keep practicing it?

Thanks.

2. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

3. Chinny

Chinny Well-Known Member

Thanks for the explanation and the link to the thread, Cuz.

I appreciate it.

4. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions like these. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. Chinny

Chinny Well-Known Member

Sounds good.

6. Condor

Condor Well-Known Member

for all you akira players out there (maddy, plague and such...),i have a question.......ive been playing akira for about two months now, and the style that i play is a little predictable and somewhat boring. im still learning akira. anyway, can you really do a lot of mix ups with akira or is he just a linear offensive character?

7. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

You should watch clips and learn from them. Akira being linear doesn't matter much if you know how to incorporate 3 way guessing games.

8. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Maddy,

I'm familiar with the idea of forcing two-choice guesses, like mid or throw. I don't remember what the three-choice is - there was a discussion about it a few months or a year ago and I forget what it said.

I like that all this Akira stuff has been coming up in the threads recently, I've been thinking about practicing [2][P] ->[6][6][6][P] (I think there's even a training mode session for that) and even just [P] -> [6][6][P] to get counters off of opponents [P] response to getting punched in the face. Haven't been playing enough as of late. It's amazing how fast things go away.

It's totally not the same thing, but I think I understand what Yosuke means when he says "I haven't been playing VF so I suck at it now." All that stuff I have to keep my mind focused on goes away when I stop training. It's just different levels of things to get rusty on.

9. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Hey Plague, it's either Attack, Throw, or Delay.

10. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Thanks, man.

I was thinking "do nothing" and that seemed a tad ineffective. So, it's actually "do nothing for x frames and then do something else" /versus/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /versus/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /versus/images/graemlins/confused.gif /versus/images/graemlins/blush.gif /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /versus/images/graemlins/lol.gif

11. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

Nitaku is use of mid or throw. This mixup is great and have 50% chance of sucess until your opponent starts doing ETEG. A lot of western players don't go beyond the nitaku layer of mind game. Unfortunately the great Evo training mode failed to emphasize the mind game above nataku well enough.

Santaku is an addition of a delayed attack to beat ETEG. Delayed attacks include backdash attack since it's a natural way of delaying your move.

For Akira, the infamous backdash Shrm is one of the best delayed option you can do. Delayed SPOD or Yoho is also great if you guess right. The key in using delayed attacks is that you should set up the situations right beforehand. Unless you force your opponent to use ETEG, your delayed attack would either lose to an ON or get blocked.

Practicing Akira's elbows is pretty hard but rewarding. Have the CPU do two LPs in a row and try interrupting the 2nd one with SDE. You get +4 when you block a LP, so it doesn't look hard on paper, but it's actually pretty hard to pull off. If you can do this, other situations will become easy.

12. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

in EVO, backdash attacks can be used to force agressive opponents out of low P mashing, aswell as breaking ETEG. meaning, they either turtle, or guess an unorthadox reaction like a long mid. in FT, backdash has been shortened so it doesnt work much anymore~ even though akira's backdash shrlm still works im pretty sure ive been beaten by it.

same principle i guess~

13. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

All the backdash options against ETEG or LP works the same in FT. The shortened backdash in FT is visible when you try to step around but not when you use it in an anti low P/ETEG setup.

As far as not attacking back with a LP to beat a delayed attack, you should just do your launcher. No need for a long range mid. Just a launcher or a high P will do it.

Mukki is famous for his use of Akira's knee in dis. RN with a launcher serves two puposes. It will beat a throw and it will also beat a delayed attack on counter.

For example, guessing against Yosuke is risky, because he incorporates this concept well in his game. If I guess wrong and go for a delayed attack in a wrong time, I normally eat a launcher in my face. My game with Akira uses the same approach, so I use big attacks like Yoho, Knee Shrm or SPOD a lot in forced guessing situations when I think either a delayed attack or throw is likely to come.

14. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

hmm, last time i tried backdash attack in FT, i know i got low P attacked. ~ at first i thought that low P was longer /versus/images/graemlins/crazy.gif~

im gonna try next time i go to play FT, coz i really was convinced i cant do backdash SS no more~~

yeah against backdash and RN methods, launcher's best. 8 wolf is nutorius for spamming out SS shoulders, but then again so am i ~ /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. Condor

Condor Well-Known Member

maddy, plague,

is the elbow that really useful.....i mean i havnt use it alot, just [P][K] often. should i start praticing buffering the elbow?

16. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

The timing of which you execute the move after the backdash is vital in deciding whether your back dash attack can beat a lp. It also depends on character, distance, and stance to some extent. Also it depends on the animation of the move you are using after back dash. There are a ton of very specific and minor nuances that factor into what will work and what doesn't. SS after back dash is a fairly strict window compared many other moves.

17. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

I also feel that backdash attack against 2p is nerfed when I play FT. Backdash > 3k with Pai against 2p and so on wasn't a fun tactic in FT (i.e not working at all).

18. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    [ QUOTE ]
    Condor said:

maddy, plague,

is the elbow that really useful.....

[/ QUOTE ]

GoatCheeseBlues tells me it's the best elbow in the game - mainly because of it's range.

I don't use it enough.

19. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

The risk of using elbow is very limited when defended. In evo guaranteed damage can be had when this move is evaded (you can be launched), but compare that to an easy b n' b combo in sde -> djk. Very discouraging as it deals good damage, and forces the opponent to be more apprehensive next time. Learn the logic in why you do something now for later.

1. SDE hits on counter followed by combo...

2. SET in your mind the next tactic based on your previous knowledge of character, and your opponents tendency. i.e next time try to mix throw in anticipation of him/her defending...

3. Or continue with SDE until they do so otherwise.

In high level matches these concepts of guessing, and planning are always in play. This is where the player armed with more knowledge + experience prevails.

20. The_Shunjinkogh

The_Shunjinkogh Well-Known Member

I dont't think holding down would work, because I tried it and it didn't work for me either. The buffered crouches would probably finish the combos.