1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Question about charge attacks

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Reno, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Reno

Reno Well-Known Member

Don't have the PS2 version (yet), and I forgot to try this at the arcade this morning ^^;

Anyways, does anyone know if you can throw characters that are in the middle of using their charge moves? I mean, would it be possible to throw Lei-Fei if he's in the middle of charging his DM Dashing Palm since he's not actually attacking in this state?

Thanks ^^

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I'm fairly sure I've seen movies where the following happened.. specifically with akira...
    Akira blocks high rising attack.
    Opponent expects throw, but akira does charge attack.
    While akira's charging, opponent is busily entering throw escapes, and you see them do the whiffed throw attempt animation.
    Akira's charge attack reams them.

So unless Akira is considered too far away to throw, I don't think you can interrupt these with a throw. I guess I can't say for sure without testing. I can't remember the exact clip, which might help.

3. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

To be quite honest I haven't been thrown or gotten a throw off on anybody that was using a charge up move. I think it shares the same property as a stagger or something. Of course thats only if my facts are straight and you can't in fact throw in the middle of the stagger animation which I don't think you can do. It's probably best to get a MC off a effective move rather than a throw. Just my opinion. It actually depends on what throw you have your heart set on getting off. later.

4. danny13

danny13 Well-Known Member

You can't throw any character at all when they are charging. you can't low throw them too even though they look like they are crouching(eg. lau's and shun's charge moves.).

5. LAU Abuser

LAU Abuser Well-Known Member

But you can punch or kick 'em out of their charging animation.

6. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Something I noticed over the weekend is that you can get a large MC dodge as soon as on opponent starts to charge an attack. (That's logical, they're in execution phase.) You'll finish the dodge before the attack even starts. What I'm wondering about is if it's possible to do multiple MC dodges?

7. LittleWild

LittleWild Well-Known Member

I saw a Jacky player dodging Lau's P+K(charge) twice.
    I can't remember if I heard two "yeah" coming from Jacky or not.

I think some of the charged attacks have limited homing abilities, like Lei Fei's arrow punch. If you dodge too early you will still get hit even though it is a MC dodge.

8. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

Yeah, its like semi-homing qualities. My Jacky Charge up won't hit a TRer, when setup. It's unfortunate that they aren't completely homing, Like in Tekken. Come to think of it Akira's B,F+P+K is completely homing I think. Would be nice if somebody knew all the homing properties of the charge ups. And can they be Evaded? Haven't had any success in evading Akira's.

9. jackybrothas

jackybrothas Well-Known Member

in addition to early mc dodge you can delay the dodge attack to the last possible moment. in doing so the character will mc dodge then dodge even more right after entering the delayed g+p+k.

10. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Lau's charge attack is quite easy to dodge (as long as you're not caught doing something else when he starts it /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif) You don't even have to pay attention to stance.

11. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Come to think of it Akira's B,F+P+K is completely homing I think.

Dodge towards his back...

12. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Aren't moves in VF4 uncounterable by throws in execution stage anyway? About moves that track though, last I read was that if your holding G while rising your opponent would track you.

13. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Some normal throws grab during some normal attacks. I dunno why or what the conditions are. I'm just sure I've seen it.

14. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

search : interrupt throws
    i.e. normal throw will interrupt a catch throw.
    How much do people actually play to not notice these things?

15. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Ugh, thats freaky. Could probably be a certain window in the exe stage of the move where it's interrupted by a throw. Gonna test it.

16. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Oops. Sorry. I overlooked your post. In reading a thread it doesnt come across one's mind to use search when everyone is talking about the same thing, but I see your point.