1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

question about EX2

Discussion in 'Joysticks and Other Controllers' started by Andramelech, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Andramelech

Andramelech Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Andramelech
    Update: I figured this out.. I have the habit of taping [8][P] , before an opponent even hits the ground, to get a stomp in early enough. I've been doing this since the old Virtua Fighter games with Pai.. The whole difference now for me in Final Showdown, is that I have to wait for them to be grounded first. Now it doesn't matter if I'm a little sloppy with the stick, it will work if I wait..

Hi yall. I own an EX2 which seems to work great except for the following. It seems like ever since I started playing FS I have this problem with getting the joystick to register exactly when I press a button. It's hard as hell to do a stomp attack now for some reason. When I look at my detailed input, it shows the button being hit from 1 to 2 frames before the joystick registers. I have to correct by consciously moving the stick as split second before I go to mash the button. It seems to do this equally on all corners or sides

I'm probably just being a noob, but I wondered if this is something anyone knows about, that I can fix. I know the first thing you'd figure, is I'm just slower with the stick than I should be, but I've never had this happen with the old VF. The stick has all stock parts, and I was thinking of trying to put a sanwa stick in there eventually, just to see if it'd be better.

It doesn't seem glitchy at all except for this, and I wondered if they maybe wore out slowly that way. I'm guessing that FS is perhaps more picky about inputs than the old VF, but I don't know.

2. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

The window for down attacks and pounces is stricter (smaller) in Final Showdown. At least that's my observation and it was very noticeable when I first played FS ^_^

3. Andramelech

XBL:
    Andramelech
    It sure seems that way. I also wonder if an 8 way restrictor plate would help, as I have trouble with the [1][3][7][9] moves, more than the [2][4][6][8]moves. The corners of the stick take longer to get to, than the sides. More travel, and they click twice, instead of once, smoothly..

Like a lot of people here, I have this silly daydream of me playing in Japan arcades someday. I'll learn on the 4-way if that's better. Does the Arcade Japanese version of Virtua Fighter 5 FS come with an eight way restrictor, 4 way, or round?

Also, has anyone tried modding just the restrictor plate on the Hori EX2? I'm wondering if it can be done without soldering of any kind. I have never soldered anything in my life..

Sorry for the random questions, I'm just wanting to hear peoples experience with this controller.

I see them being sold for like $100 bucks now. It almost seems like you could practically trade one for a mad cats te. I guess people pay a lot because they're rare.

4. Andramelech

XBL:
    Andramelech
    I read a little more. I guess square plates are best for VF. I'm just being a noob. I found I have more control when I put the joystick on a table.

I opened the stick case, and it looks easy to mess with. I don't think I will though, as the buttons and stick seem to work fine.

5. capt_catalina

capt_catalina Well-Known Member

PSN:
    capt_catalina
    @ Andramelech, PineConeAttack did a good mod tutorial on the EX2, see link below:

http://pineconeattack.com/2008/12/0...with-authentic-arcade-parts-xbox-360-version/

The stick is OK for a casual player, but eventually upgrading those parts would be desirable, but not for the feint of heart due to the tendencies of the PCB suiciding. The Joystick itself isn't bad as is, but dropping Cherry Switches in there would help you a little bit. The buttons are what they are, and are prone to failure. I swapped them with some Mad Catz buttons that were kicking around to make a functional Frankenstick. Consider Seimitsu PS-15 snap-in buttons, as they will give you more breathing room inside the stick. If you follow the tutorial, you can get your gear up to top form.

Shag likes this.
  6. Andramelech

XBL:
    Andramelech
    Thank you. I've read that tutorial, and will upgrade when I get a chance and learn to solder. I just got a major improvement by fixing some video lag. I was always told to avoid "game" mode on the HDTV's, but mine brought me from 20 to zero lag. Stomps and tech rolls work a lot better now..