1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Question About Oki/Tech Traps

Discussion in 'New Starter' started by OniwabanCL, Aug 12, 2021.

1. OniwabanCL

OniwabanCL Member

Hi everyone! Maybe this question was made a lot of times and it's a basic mechanic, but I've doubt about oki/tech traps.
    I'm a Soul Calibur player and a noob VF player (I started to play in 2012 but without a real experience) both games has similarities (a few ones) but in the oki/tech traps VF is a complete new universe.
    In SC if you do a combo you can guess if your opponent will do a Ukemi, then you input a move (generally a mid/low horizontal one) and catch your opponent, the damage will be added to the initial combo damage.
    In VF I watched some fights where, for example, Wolf or Goh can throw the opponent with a low throw after a successful ukemi, Taka can do a 2K+G after a simple combo like K+G P 1PP 33P+K and it'll generate a stagger state on the opponent and take can do P+K as a starter combo. But sometimes this attacks doesn't connect.
    How does the ukemi traps works? Can all characters do it? is it a 50/50 mechanic?

Thanks to everyone for your time and help! I've a lot of more questions

Chanchai likes this.
  2. Blessy

Blessy Moderator / -10 is just Nitaku Staff Member Content Manager Goh Bronze Supporter Content Manager Aoi Tournament Manager

With Taka, 2K+G doesn't induce stagger but it is +15 on hit so the P+K is guarenteed.

Using Taka as an example though:

Taka knocks the opponent down and reads that they will tech roll.
    He can do 2/8K+G for the low, 4P+KP for the mid, or potentially just throw the opponent.

If the Taka times it properly with these attacks being meaty then it is a 50/50. However if these attacks are not meaty they could potentially be evaded.

Most characters have oki options and can force a similar situation, though some characters can achieve this easier than others.

OniwabanCL and Chanchai like this.
  3. OniwabanCL

OniwabanCL Member

I'm very sorry for the laaaaate reply (so much work), but thanks for your help. I was training your suggestion but there is something I missed, you have to guess if the opponent will do a ukemi, right? but also do you need to guess if the opponent will finish his ukemi with a standing or crouch block?
    I mean, again with a Taka example, if I guess the opponent will do an ukemi, my next move could be 4P+K P if the opponent will be in a crouch block state after the ukemi or 2K+G if he finished the ukemi in a standing position.
    I've this doubt because in Soul Calibur you only must guess the ukemi, the next move (a low or middle move) will connect for sure.
    Again, thank you so much for your help