1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

question on throw escapes

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by _wu, Apr 20, 2002.

1. _wu

_wu New Member

Im a newby so please excuse me if this has been discussed b4.........

I am curious about throw escape buffering........say my opponent does a d+p into throw........now, am i able to buffer escapes as i would if i had a move blked? It seems to me if i get hit by a d+p and do g+p in anticipation of a throw.......I in turne will end up doing a throw myself......? any help would be greatly appreciated

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

When you get hit by d+P, even if it hits as in interrupt, you recover just before the opponent. So their throw isn't 100% guaranteed, but it's close. I think they have 7 frames of advantage time over you. So yes, you can buffer P+G as you are reeling from the low punch, and as a result you will do a (Whiffed) P+G throw.
    What actually should happen is:
    -Opponent low punches and you are stunned
    -you enter P+G during the stun, your opponent enters his throw.
    -your opponent's throw attempt does nothing for the first 7 frames, his character just reaches for air.
    -On the eighth frame you start to whiff your own throw and at the exact same time, the opponent's throw connects.

What happens after that is fuzzy for me. If you are in the process of whiffing a P+G throw, and get thrown during that whiff, does the enemy's throw succeed every time?
    Or is pressing P+G within a few frames of your opponent's throw sufficient to be called an 'escape attempt' by the game, and therefore you get out of their throw?

To put it another way, if you get hit by d+P --> throw, should you

1. tap P+G once with really good timing (a hair after their throw connects?) or
    2. tap P+G once and buffer it during your own hitstun?
    or 3. double tap P+G just to be sure?

3. egghead64

egghead64 Member

In response to that,

Actually, the game is so in-depth that it teaches you pretty good tactics that have gotten me a lot more than a little better at the game itself. Go to Training and enter Trial Mode, it'll teach you a lot of good strategies, as well as the problem you mentioned before. Holla.

4. egghead64

egghead64 Member

My bad, the tutorial teaches you nothing about buffering throw escapes, sorry.

5. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Thread moved.

Beginner type "how do I.." questions belong in this board.

6. skuall

skuall Member

i remember learning on trial mode several things about it, like multi throw escape and so. I use lion.