1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Questions from a Tekken player

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by DonGato, Feb 13, 2002.

1. DonGato

DonGato Member

I have a few questions:

1 - Does Virtua Fighter have chicken? (in Tekken, when you do a reversal's reversal, it is called "chicken")

2 - Does VF have guard stun?

3 - Is the VF animation motion captured?

Thanks in advance.

2. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

Hello fellow tekken player, I too have traveled the beaten Tekken path and found myself at the doorstep of VF4. It rocks doesn't it.

1.) No but VF has something called Option Select which is kind of like that. Instead of one opportunity to break a throw like in tekken you can input one SS and (2) throw escapes ex.F+G+P, then d/f+G+P. This allows you to be somewhat invincible in certain situations.

2) No Guard stun is not in VF. But frames play a big part and you have what is called Blocked frames, hit frames, and Major/Minor Counter frames. Also with the character that is doing the said move, he has recover frames from that move that was executed. ex. Large shoulder from Wolf, opponent gets free throw, standing punch, or minor counter special. Depends on whatever move wolf does and is blocked.

3)UHHM not sure, anybody know?

3. DonGato

DonGato Member

Thanks for the info, but I'm not sure if I made myself clear with the first question, I was talking abour breaking a reversal, not a throw.

In Tekken you can break throws just by pressing certain buttons (depending on the throw), but in order to break a reversal you have to input f + the button used for the move that is being reversed (if it works, the anouncer says: "chicken").

I know that in VF you can break throws by pressing the last direction of the throw + some buttons, but I wanted to know if it is possible to break a reversal (like the reversals of Akira, Pai, etc.).

Thanks.

4. Blondie

I understood your question and there are no chickens in VF, Once a reversal is executed your pretty much at the mercy of the Akira player. What makes this even out is that timing is more crucial with the reversal than in tekken. I know what chickening is. Tekken was my life for quite sometime. Good luck to you in your VF endeavors.

5. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Actually, there is *one*. Pai's reversal-reversal. But it's so rare to see that...

6. DonGato

DonGato Member

Besides of the timing, I guess there's no chicken in VF because there's like 4?, levels for reversal instead of only one like in Tekken.

So I guess it's actually harder to succesfully reverse a move (you have to guess between four levels instead of one).

7. Blondie

Hey Don go to Gamefaqs.com and read the VF faq there not the pai one but the Tekken to VF one. It's long but it helped me get a really good understanding of the game and the differences you'll battle between the two forms of gameplay. Good luck.

8. DonGato

DonGato Member

Thanks for the info, this faq is just what I needed.

9. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

1. None except one, and thank god. There are only 3 reversal levels in VF4.

2. Not exactly like in Tekken, but functionally you have the same concept in non-struggable staggers. And there is the usual recovery from blocking an attack.

3. Yes, but many animations are also hand coded.

Hardcore Tekken fans are always welcomed to VF, but be ready to expand your mind. Once you get to know the VF system a little better, you'll realize how constrained the Tekken system is.