1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Questions on Tech Roller vulnerability

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Genie47, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Genie47

Genie47 Well-Known Member

1. Is the tech roller invulnerable during the roll animation? Or is he vulnerable at the end of the roll animation registering as a crouching non-defender?

2. I have done an elbow-knee knock down with Sarah. I did a b+K, d+K+G to sweep them. The victim tech rolls and the sweep passes harmlessly under them. Was I too slow or is there some invulnerability during the tech roll?

I ask these questions due to my doubts over the practicality of using the TR, sidestep, P+G throw escape, G technique as listed in TRIAL 18A against a Leifei player going for the flying punch for the backstagger combo of death.

2. Tetra

Tetra Well-Known Member

i don't know alot abt this but i am rather sure tat if u fall down normally and if u crumble fall. the tech roll animation is different in the last part.

if u crumble fall u can actually see the character turning around in squating position for a split sec when techrolling. tat's the vulnerable part of techroll. whereas normal fall techrolling doesn't have this animation. tat's why its supposely invulnerable to all attacks if u get up and block.

most probably ur sweep doesn't hit cos it's a normal kind of techroll. if ur sweep does hit, it will hit ur opponents' guard.

this is based only on my opinion after testing some backstagger combos with my bro. hope my post isn't too confusing.

3. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

I believe you are invulnerable when you roll. It's only till you rise that you are considered a crouching non-defender and are therefore in danger. Merely delay your sweep until your opponent begins to rise.

4. Genie47

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I believe you are invulnerable when you roll. It's only till you rise that you are considered a crouching non-defender and are therefore in danger.

<hr></blockquote>

This is what I think as well. Leifei's flying punch is a straight line attack. The attack cannot home in on a victim already on the TR but will only when the TR just finishes and the victim just starts to rise. Result will be the backstagger combo of death. But learning from TRIAL 18A, which is doing a TR followed by a TEG (in short TRTEG), it seems like you can escape the impending attack. Again, learning from TRIAL 18B, Wolf low throws you only after the TR animation. Buffering a low attack during the TR animation to interrupt the low throw as shown. So the vulnerability period is during the TR recovery.

I forgot, I have tried delaying the sweep to catch the crouching non-defender status of the roller when he ends the roll. Its rather iffy. Sometimes, Eric will hold down+G after the TR and the sweep gets blocked. When Eric tries the immediate sweep on me, I QR which I learned from the CPU KUMITE players and the sweep misses due to my legs up in the air and I recover standing to punish with a DC.

Anyway I digress. Anymore comments. I believe there is superior technique to avoid the backstagger combo of Lei. BTW, I can get the TRTEG quite consistently. It is best to execute it this way. After knockdown, start your TR by holding down or up and tapping ALL x 3. The moment the TR starts buffer the dodge by tapping down or up x 1 the same direction of your TR. Then followed by P+G, release P. You cannot execute it by tapping up or down+P+G, release P. You character will not execut the dodge.

5. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

If they are in the position to block the sweep then use either [FL] K+G or better yet [FL] f+K+G. Catch them when they rise with [FL] u+K too. You have the advantage just be patient and adapt accordingly.

6. Genie47

TR are possible only when you float fall. What you are trying to say is that if the character float falls face up, initiating a TR will result in the character recovering from the TR facing the opponent. And for someone who float falls face down, starting a TR will result in a vulnerability period when the TR starts? Which explains why the person is hit at the back staggering.

7. Tetra

Tetra Well-Known Member

yea something like tat. so basically when u do a crumble move u just continue with a move tat makes the guy float. so he can do a TR.

when he does a TR his getting up action will be a turn around crouch animation which is the vulnerable period. the rest of the TR parts are practically impossible to hit with any moves.

8. Genie47

I still don't get what you are saying. Are you saying that Leifei starts a KD move. The victim falls slowly face first. Leifei carries on with some moves to float the KD victim. So the victim float face down and as a result float falls face down. Victim starts a TR while he is face down so the backstagger occurs with that backstagger starter move.

9. Genie47

OK I got better info by searching a past <a target="_blank" href=http://virtuafighter.com/versuscity/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=versus&Number=18774&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1> post</a>.

So that means to say that face down TRs are rather dangerous things to do. Face up TRs are OK in many cases.

Thanks.

10. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

Hey Genie47...

I was checking out the very same post.

It reads that a player is vulnerable to attack from the time the tech roll is initiated until the player stands. At least that's what I understand from the info in the post. I think somehere in this thread it was stated that tech rollers have a time frame where they're invulnerable.

11. Tetra

Tetra Well-Known Member

sorry i wasn't good at explaining. But i think u get the idea from that old post /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

12. Genie47

Yes I was searching for past posts on tech rollers. Strange thing is that using "tech roller" and few stuff came up. Using "tech roll" and the needed post showed up. Funny search engine.

13. Genie47

More questions. Now from the old post, we can see that there are 3 stages of vulnerability. Beginning of roll stage is vulnerable to ground attacks. Late roll stage to recovery to normal condition is vulnerable to normal attacks.

Again back onto TRIAL 18A. Since the vulnerable period for normal attacks is from late roll stage to recovery, then how does doing the TRETG help? I mean, the late roll is vulnerable already. The ETG will not take place until you have recovered from the TR even if you buffer it in during the roll. If the info from the old post holds true, then you will get hit during the late roll stage and TRETG is a useless technique.

Comments please.

14. Tetra

Tetra Well-Known Member

ermm. might as well try it out since we got a home ps2 hehe.

but from my experience vs danny. i tried to dodge his double palm after i techroll but i usually get hit not sure if my timing is way off.... or his timing is way good to catch me slightly before dodging. Another possibility is u are vulnerable at the late stage so u can't dodge at all.... have to try this one of this days.

15. Shundi_05

Shundi_05 Well-Known Member

U can actually see the moment when the character turn around after TR on crumble moves in the training mode. Just put to slow motion.Hopes this help. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif /versus/images/icons/smile.gif /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

16. Genie47

Maybe you pressed G after the evade. Remember pressing G will align you to the aggressor. So to get out of the way, you have to strictly press P+G after the evade and release P for defence. Doing TRIAL 18A is great for this. Wolf will either do his f, d+K, throw or shoulder ram. Success depends on your execution of the P+G, G part. Evading after a TR and is not good enough. The computer will not register the action. Right now, I am just doing this repeatedly until I get a hang of it.

Also, I have tried TR > evade attack (TREA). Though TRIAL 18A does not register it but I get a good hang of it. However, it will align your aggressor towards you and not to their side. Successful evasion to their side (no G button pressing) will leave their side or back exposed for Sarah's DC.

17. Tetra

Tetra Well-Known Member

ermm... i only press evade(tap up/down). didn't even do escape throws hehe. tat's why i still don't really understand dodging double palm. can't get it right /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

Double palm have some tracking(i think) but it's dodgable cos my bro did it alot of times after he techroll.

i can never get DC to connect most of the time after dodging especially against vanessa...... cos she just bash her can combos through and get too far away for my DC to connect.

18. Genie47

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

i can never get DC to connect most of the time after dodging especially against vanessa...... cos she just bash her can combos through and get too far away for my DC to connect

<hr></blockquote>

Use the uf+K FSD. Very good range but hitting them at the back will not cause the leg flop KD. Just do b+K, u+K for a cool 52 pt damage. Because FSD is also a straight line attack, Vanessa can evade even with her back to you. Some more weirdness. Doing FSD, P(G), b+K, u+K will give you only 51 pt damage. Replace u+K with d+K+G, you get 50 pt damage. Make things a lot simpler by doing just FSD, b+K, u+K will give you the mentioned 52 pt damage. Funny thing this float modifier is.