1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Quick impressions VF4 PS2

Discussion in 'Console' started by Shang, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

Snow and Sand reductions. Lightning is very different, not as appearent as the arcade seems. end result I feel is the character doesn't blend in to the stage as well as the arcade. Character face textures seems to be of less quality. Character model are on the spot from.
    Akira's qcb+p > bdk does wayyyy less damage now. Now. I must go mod my PS2.
    over all.. very nice conversion, much better than VF3tb DC. And the interface ROCKS!! There is a japanese female voice accompany your cursor movements. I love how she says "Kumite". More to come..

2. Rary

Rary Member

Is the aliasing/shimmering _very_ noticeable? It's the only graphical flaw I really care about. How big is your TV, and are you using a S-video or component cable?

I hope you'll post more impressions, especially about how the gameplay is in version C.

3. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

yea aliasing is noticeable.. I almost cried when i saw dural. Lion and Lei actually hit back on ps2. I was a bit shocked when lei reversed my elbow.

4. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

But can't aliasing be ironed out like TTT was when it was shipped to the US and Europe? By comparison, the Japanese version was a sea of fuzzy lines.

Also, can you manually edit the characters costume colours other than the one's provided by the VFnet schemes.

5. Rugal

Rugal Well-Known Member

The Aliasing isn't half as bad as the totally crap texture detail.
    This game sux HARD in that respect. Some of the stages look like they were done on the saturn.

6. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

"Some of the stages look like they were done on the saturn"

Now that's an exaggeration surely. What were you expecting?!

7. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Adio
    Ignore him..he's a tool.

8. Rugal

Rugal Well-Known Member

I was expecting textures that were at least on par with Tekken Tag Tournament. In most cases they are a lot worse.

And summers, grow a brain retard. If you don't have anything to add then don't post. Or better off don't even read the thread.

9. Rugal

Rugal Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some shots from Gamespot. Texture quality is bad on these stages. It's also poor on Akira's stage.

10. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Namco had more resources as there wasn't much to render for the stages. Namco also have an interment relationship with Sony and past experience with the 246 board in Ridge Racer. You have to tip your hat a little, it is their first try after all. Everything else is equal or superior to the arcade with gameplay and home options respectively. And who knows, they might do a Namco and clean up the picture here and there.

Textures and lighting are a small price to pay for gameplay and longevity.

11. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

OMG, is that Nina fighting Aoi in that pic?! hehehehe jk

-Chanchai

12. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Out of the two pictures you showed, why does the bottom one look much clearer than the top?

13. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

Qcb+p > bdk: I can't get more than 73 points of damage. Qcb+p > djk does 67 points. but I suck at this combo anyways.
    SPoD does 70 points normal. (weak!)
    And Lion came in with a Power ranger helmet on me. There seems to be ALOT of edits you can do with the character. clothing, items etc etc. In Replay mode you can slow mo the match, cool stuff. There are some pretty scarely good matches on the CDROM via Replay too.
    It's probably better to talk about Ver. C gameplay changes than how ps2 ver. graphics are different than the arcade. Shit like Lion's hair doesn't move in PS2 (which it doesn't), big deal. AKira's Doublepalm does noticeable less damage now, it is sad day, but Rich and Creed are happy! you can press select after every match to save it to replay. There's a HD option there too, might have to invest in one of those. Loading is hardly noticeable anyways.
    There is a new stage where you fight in a closed pool with metal fence around in front of a western style manson. The water is almost up to the knees, when you fall down you are completely submerged underwater.

14. DuoWing

DuoWing Active Member

Well I dunno bout the Japanese version, but I think they will prbly fix it up more, before they release it. And plus The shots from Gamespot are usually crap. So I would wait and see. From the videos Ive seen VF4 looks really good

15. FILTH

FILTH Member

I never expected a spot on conversion from Naomi 2 to PS2. Fact is that even dreamcast supports more hardware based graphical effects than PS2--not as many polys though--which is why DOA2 looks better on DC than PS2. Naomi 2 is an evolved version of dreamcast hardwre. The end result is obvious. Still, the Saturn version of VF2 didnt come anywhere near the Model 2 version, but it was still a great product, overall. With sega out of the hardware business lets be thankful we're getting any home VF game at all. I'm sure once VF4 lands here on march 3rd, the only people that will be whining are the Tekken whores out there.

16. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

I've just seen the latest 30 pictures of the finished version from Coremagazine.com. Everything looked good in general, the pictures with Jacky's stage were adequate and the character models looked fine.

The colours were much paler though, and on the 29th picture which shows a head shot of Akira I saw how bad they are. But these are stills and in motion It won't mean as much yet, textures on Lau's face on pic17 are good. Guess Akira has more textures than others.

17. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

You wanna see it in motion?
    check out the ruliweb movies (mirrored) ... halfscreen size, not a lot of compression, good frame rate.. . very high quality movies that let you see all the detail...

..unfortunately..

<a target="_blank" href=http://ruliweb.com/data/rulinews/read.php?num=7005>http://ruliweb.com/data/rulinews/read.php?num=7005</a>
    on my site they're called vf401.mpg - vf414.mpg.
    Bear in mind the ruliweb takes a LONG time to respond, but does work with accelerators and eventually gets up to good speed.
    My site does not.

18. vf4me

vf4me New Member

19. 3of19

3of19 Well-Known Member

PS2 games often look really crap on screenshots.
    I don't remember in detail, but it has something to do with the image output on the PS2. I remember reading a thread in great detail about PS2 and screenshots. Something with the PS2 alternately outputting 2 fields of the picture in 640*240 resolution. If you grab such a picture, you only get one field. They propably did that in the top screen and upsampled the resolution to 640*480, to avoid having the screen look like something that was driven over by a steamroller, hence the noticable jaggies in the vertical resolution.
    The other option is to take two pictures right after another, but then you get some blur in it, as the game moved.
    The second picture is propably a RAM dump taken with a devkit.