1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Random Brad

Discussion in 'Brad' started by tonyfamilia, Feb 22, 2008.

1. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Originally posted by tonyfamilia, restored from Google cache:

This thread is for all you of you who have played with Brad and have found interesting things that are not common knowledge about Brad.

I'll start off with a few things that I accidentally discovered while playing with Brad.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif can go under certain mids. The timing is strict but I have gone under opponent's rising mid kicks and other mids with this move.

Brad can be low-thrown while Slipping, Ducking and Phase Turning.

Brad's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif has the most active frames of all his moves and does more than 20pts of damage making it Brad's best move to stuff opponent's rising attacks. I learned this from VF4Evo's awesome in-game tutorial.

Brad's wall attack is full circular and according to the movelist and even the game itself, is supposed to hit mid but it can be ducked. You can check for yourself, Brad's awesome knee off the wall is a mid-level hit that for some crazy reason, will not hit a crouching opponent.

Brad's Slipping and Ducking can avoid certain mids when done at just the right time.

What random quirks/perks have you discovered with Brad?

2. tonyfamilia

Originally posted by KrsJin, restored from Google Cache:

It's funny but that /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif really is amazing. It looks so simple and harmless, but I swear it has got to be in Brad's top 10 moves lol.

Duno how helpful this is and I'm sure any Brad who's played for a day has applied it, but I've been noticing you can really condition people with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif( /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif. If you're playing against duckers this move is incredible, otherwise seems risky. But anyway. If you get people use to say, one mid /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif then /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, you can train them to thinking you'll always /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif after one mid /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif.

Here's where the fun begins. Do one mid /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, then options open up. If they tend to duck to avoid this? Wreck them with a mid of your choice. If they tend to side step, throw. If they stand, throw. Or, just throw out more of those following mid /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gifs until you feel an opening coming. It's also nice because you can delay each /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif ever so slightly giving the Brad player that much more control.

3. tonyfamilia

Originally posted by eiyujpn, restored from Google cache:

my info is not all that good but it could help others with the same problem I had.

I used to be really bad at trying to do SL K because it was hard for me to see which leg to use on spot then i started to note these things that let me know in advance which direction to slip left to (my explanation might be confusing so go to dojo and try these for yourself, ill give examples from 1p side):

4P+G:
    Brad will slash the opponent either into the screen or away from the screen. So slip into the direction that brad slashes into. (ex. brad slashes towards you, slip towards you, 1pside- 2P+K+G)

46P+G and 33P+G:
    brad will always knee with his lead foot so slip into that direction. (ex. right knee, 1pside- 2P+K+G)

3P+K,P:
    the last uppercut will tell you which direction to slip left. (ex. his left hand uppercuts so 1pside- 8P+K+G)

6PK:
    Brad will kick with his rear leg so slip opposite of the leg he uses. (after the kick, 1pside- 8P+K+G)

etc.

4. tonyfamilia

Originally posted by tonyfamilia, restored from Google cache:

Thanks, KrsJin, I used to do that with Brad in Evo a lot but I had all but forgotten to use it in 5.
    eiyujpn, thanks for that too, it should help other players who were having that same problem you were. Brad is a little more stance dependant than most characters in the game so every little tip helps.

Here's some "Sobering" tips for those Brad vs Shun fights-

If you k.o. Shun with a move like /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif then he will be standing there k.o.'ed for a little bit, so here's a series of moves that will take 3 drinks away from him before the next round starts:
    Slip Left /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif(Smash Hook) -> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + -> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif
    This is not a combo since the last hit can be TR'ed/QR'ed but you can do it on a k.o.'ed Shun and take away 3 of his drinks.

And if you k.o. Shun with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif then buffer in a crouching dash towards Shun with your back turned towards him and you can do BT /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif ->BT /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif -> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif to sober him up -3dp.

5. tonyfamilia

Originally posted by Blahzie, restored from Google cache:

Just wanted to say nice tips in here, especially the shun-sobering ones. Good stuff.

6. Jemun

Jemun Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Double-Jemun
    oh my. there are so many details i have to learn with brad. but i will practise, because he has style

7. StoneColdSerb

StoneColdSerb Well-Known Member

Thanks for this, mate.

8. Jay David

Jay David Well-Known Member

Hey I think I might have something useful for this thread. If its not, or something everyone knew already then I'll just delete my post. ^.^

Alright, something random I think worth noting is that Brad's 1P+K is a very special reversal move. It says in the dojo it catches and reverses mid kicks right? Well it does more than that. Along with catching linear, half-circular, and full-circular mid kicks, this counter can also catch kicks that pass through the "mid region". For example they show in the dojo that you can catch a rising high kick and reverse it. However this same principle works for some overhead kicks! Right now I'm able to counter vertical overhead kicks from characters like Jacky, Vane, Jeff, and Pai. I'm still experimenting to see if I can catch roundhouse kicks that start high and passes mid but if its even possible it'll probably work in limited situations. Sorry if everyone knew this already, but ya never know. :p

9. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    I think you are mistaking moves that "appear" visually to hit high, but the actual game property of the move is a mid attack.

Edit: I am quite sure all rising attacks (on the ground) are either mid or low...no highs.

10. tonyfamilia

Here's a vid showing Brad's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif going under a mid kick @0:45

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K2tC4Ui_wFw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K2tC4Ui_wFw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

11. Shinn_Akira

Shinn_Akira Well-Known Member

wish it was consistant like shun mid avoid low kcik, but sadly its not worth the attempt in a match. for me anyway.

12. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    It is consistent, just against higher mids.

I bet it goes under Jeff's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif with no problem.

Just get a friend and test shit (but not too many people are willing to put work into anything though).

13. tonyfamilia

Tired of having opponents sidestepping all of Brad's options from Long Ducking? Try delaying a LD /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif
    Also try using Brad's LD /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif even if they sidestep the first two punches they will get hit with the third if they try to sidestep it too.
    Don't believe it? Try it in Dojo mode. Put the cpu to sidestep in either direction and you will see the cpu get hit trying to evade the 3rd punch.
    You can also try LD /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif Slip Left/Right /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif
    Getting 2P'd out of it try LD /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif Ducking /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif
    Another good option is LD ->0frame throw.

I could prob create a whole thread about LD but maybe I should play it safe like a lot of people here and not give away all of my secrets /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Well, I hope this helps all you Brad players AND all you Brad player haters out there /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

14. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

I found that when Pai and Aoi attempt to throw Brad after guarding his [3][3][P][P], they will often whiff. They can throw him if their backs are close to a wall post guard, but otherwise they whiff. As far as Aoi is concerned, this might happen only if the foot position is closed when she goes for the throw.

15. tonyfamilia

Cool. Here's something that Danny13 shared:
    http://virtuafighter.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/194328#Post194328

P+K on a rising attack (MC 11-14+ frames) is best followed up by PK online. It's still pretty good damage and you get +4 to work with.
    Funny thing is that 6P+K will hit them during that crouching state but it will miss certain characters when Brad does it after blocking a move that doesn't even leave them crouching [​IMG]

16. deathsushi

deathsushi Well-Known Member

This is likely an easy one that most people are aware of, it's strong enough that it should be mentioned. You get HUGE dividends off of the hunting kick (SL [K]).

Get into the habit of inputting [P] + [G] as soon as you see this kick hit, as it's a guaranteed clinch on successful hit, counter or regular. Once you're doing this consistently, get in the habit of following up with either [3][K] or [1][K][K].

Most opponents will try to counterattack after the hunting kick, especially given that the kick has a big windup and leaves the opponent with the impression that you'll require time to recover frame advantage. In actual fact the kick leaves you with +5 frames advantage on a guard, and both of the above moves are 16 frames to execute. Even an 11 frame jab will clash with these attacks, and lose out to them, as they do more damage. Once you've got the opponent trained to block in these situations, your game can really open up and you can enter into throw options, or use the opportunity to push further into more stances. If you do throw out [3][K] on block, be sure to input, once again, [P]+[G] on hit, as this will enter clinch on counterhit.

Work that yomi!

17. Sharp7

Sharp7 Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Sharp J7
    SL K, is DEFINITELY one of brad's best options when he goes into stances because of the + on block that most people don't know about/end up counterattacking from habit since every other move from stance leaves brad at disadvantage.

I actually follow it up with 66K and surprisingly 80% of the time or more it lands on CH. It is a bit risky, but for some reason people just don't see it coming.
    4K or 4K+G, K are also good options as they put alot of pressure and end in stances. I've seen videos of good players using those moves a lot after the SL K.