1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

ranking up after 1st Dan?

Discussion in 'Quest, Kumite and Items' started by FastLightning, Mar 31, 2002.

1. FastLightning

FastLightning New Member

after ranking up to 1st Dan, I fought and fought and fought. over 90 matches actually. And not one of them was a ranking match. I also noticed my exp. points are gone. What exactly is going on? How do I rank up. I know I should be much higher and it's driving me nuts!

2. Moby

Moby Well-Known Member

You can do a quick search on ranking up in Kumite mode here in the forum, or look on the frontpage for the guide on the whole ranking system. Essentially, at the dan level you just have to beat 5 opponents of the same dan as you to move up.

It's odd that you fought over 90 matches as 1st Dan without fighting any other 1st Dan opponents. If this happens, you should exit Kumite mode into the main menu, then go back in; sometimes the computer gives you the right opponents right away or after a match or two.

3. Will_Gotti

Will_Gotti Member

At Dan level you cannot lose more than 5 matches cause how it works is you get victory points instead of exp points like in Kyu. When you win a match vs. someone the same rank or higher you get +1 victory points and once you reach +5 you get a ranking match. If you lose a match you get -1 once you reach -5 you lose your rank. That's why people cheat and save their AI from losing by pausing and restarting to prevent a loss on their record and more importantly prevent losing their rank and ending up in the negative on victory points cause you'll be there for years trying to pass Dan levels cause they AI would eventually get killed and you'd never advance. The AI isn't that smart.

4. Jalaad

Jalaad Member

This happens to me as well. My Sarah is 1st Dan, and she only gets to fight the same group of eight or nine opponents. There are two Vanessas, two Pais, two Aois, and a couple others that rotate in and out. I've gotten up to 60-ish matches where I've only fought ONE (count 'em, ONE) other 1st Dan opponent. All the others have been 3rd Dan and above. Once I even bested a 7th Dan Akira. THAT was a bloody match...

Starting over, shutting the system off, exiting and re-entering, all of them don't work. Maybe we're just the victims of extremely bad luck. My Akira has had no trouble at all finding Kumite opponents of his rank, and he's all the way up to 10th Dan...

5. 3of19

3of19 Well-Known Member

90 matches without a ranking match doesn't mean FastLightning never faced 1st Dan opponents. Maybe he just won and lost somewhat equally against the 1st Dan opponents, so he never got up to 4 victory points or down to -4 when he faced one...