1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Rare/Lost Virtua Fighter 3 Wallpapers & Artwork

Discussion in 'General' started by Thesch28, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Thesch28

Thesch28 Well-Known Member

So after watching a very old Akira combo video from 2006 (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QKEBV6xyhI)
    I found some VF3 artwork and a wallpaper i've never seen before in it, so i decided to make a quick image search since i like VF3 also because i never see much artwork of it, so after searching for a while a stumbled across 3 VERY old pages 2 of them being Japanese, Here are the links:

SEGA's Old VF3 page: https://web.archive.org/web/20010602021812/http://www.sega.co.jp:80/AM2/
    Taka Arashi HomePage: http://www.oocities.org/timessquare/arcade/9553/taka.html
    Download section of an old VF3 JP blog: http://raymanworld.tripod.com/download.htm

I have uploaded some of the images i found at this Imgur link: https://imgur.com/a/jSOXS

But feel free to take a look at the old pages and download stuff from them.

So here are some of the images I found!
    First we have some images of what it seems to be a VF calendar!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here We have some character portraits.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And i also found renders of the Stages.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see these Images are very high quality for 1997 standards, some of these images seems to have appear on a section of SEGA's page called (Weekly Virtua Fighter) where it seems they used to post VF related images mostly VF3, I also was able to find some other cool stuff and that's some BETA renders of some old unused costume that got removed in the final version of VF3!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ok so now we have some Good Quality VF3 Artwork!
    But that doesn't mean we found everything! in fact it seems these 3 images are lost since their links no longer exist!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There's also this Jacky one which, i could find but not in it's original quality from the SEGA Site, but "the Macintosh link works for the Dural and Jacky images" but they are compressed in some weird format called .hqx I tried to uncompress them with a program to find another file with a weird mac format called .sit which i don't if it's another compression format, i don't know if this formats can be used with modern macs or of some mac users are even familiar with them but if anyone is then it would be nice if you tried to convert these to PNG and shared them on this post.
    upload_2018-4-14_17-55-36.png
    It also seems that there was a Zip file which contained all the 12 calendar wallpapers! But apparently the links for it are also dead :( and yes the Macintosh one is dead too... This means that the Lau wallpaper will be the hardest one to find.
    upload_2018-4-14_18-2-26.png
    I would appreciate if someone helped me to find these images, as you can see that Akira combo video had some Artwork from the Page so maybe there might be some people on the internet who still have these wallpapers (hopefully on their original quality) so far the only people i could think of that might have the images are the creators of the Taka-Arashi HomePage or the guy who made that Akira combo video but of course there's still a chance they lost them at this point but who knows.
    So in case you know someone who might have the missing wallpapers or if you happen to have them i would really appreciate if you shared them if possible, Anyways Thanks to everyone who read this whole post and thanks to (Made Man) for recommending me VFDC to post this, hopefully we will find the missing calendar wallpapers and maybe even more stuff!

(Edit)
    The Dural & Jacky .pict have been found thanks to (KakiharaTheTerrible) from the Virtua Revival discord now only the only missing calendar images are the Lau/September & All/December
    ones, I would really appreciate if someone helped me to find these.
    [​IMG]

(Edit) 05/10/2018
    I have updated the Imgur page with 13 high quality renders of the stages, huge thanks to (Sudden_Death) for giving me these images. Here are some of the HQ Stage renders, all 13 of them can be found in the Imgur page which you can find at the top of the post.
    Taka-Arashi's Stage.
    [​IMG]
    Wolf's Stage.
    [​IMG]
    Jeffry's Stage.
    [​IMG]
    This is it for now, if i find something worth posting i'll update the Imgur page, If anyone finds some more old renders in decent quality or something rare feel free to share them here.

(Edit) 05/11/2018
    I have updated the Imgur page with 24 VF3tb renders found in the "European Dreamcast Premiere Disc"
    This Disc is a CD that was given to the members of press just before console's launch in Europe. It Includes many images from the existing and planned games for the Dreamcast as well as imagines of the console and some accessories.
    As always i converted the images to PNG, here are some of the "NEW" images that can be found in the imgur page, I'm going to post just 2 more images here since VFDC forums don't allow me to add more than 20 images to the original post, all the images can be found in the Imgur page.

An Akira Render which has some weird edges, it was probably cut from a high quality version of one of the CG renders found in one of the VF CG Series.
    [​IMG]
    Here's a very high quality render of Lau, some renders similar to this for a few other characters are in the page now.
    [​IMG]
    Anyways that's it for now, you can find All the images in the Imgur page now.
    Imgur link: https://imgur.com/a/jSOXS
    If i find something new i'll make sure to edit the post to notify everyone, also don't forget to feel free to share any new rare renders not found in the Imgur page if you happen to find any.
    (Edit)
    This is may be old news but for anyone who didn't know Oneida uploaded all the Wallpaper images from the Virtua Fighter 3 PC Disc in an Imgurn Gallery:

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  2. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Nice find, this is really cool stuff! I love the unused costumes especailly!
    @oneida have you seen this?

3. Thesch28

UPDATE the Jacky and Dural .pict files have been converted to PNG thanks to (KakiharaTheTerrible) from the Virtua Revival Discord, you can find these two at the Imgur album.
    upload_2018-4-15_22-30-23.png

upload_2018-4-15_22-30-40.png
    With that only the Lau and ALL wallpapers are left, if someone has these images on their original quality please share them on this post if possible.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. MadeManG74

That's really cool, thanks for adding the latest, Thesch!

5. oneida

oneida Long Arm of the Lau Silver Supporter

PSN:
    oneida_vf
    XBL:
    oneida1
  6. nou

nou Well-Known Member

Aren't these from the Sega Saturn CG portraits CD for the Sega Saturn. I remember seeing some of these in an old (ANCIENT) EGM where Saturn VF2 had a huge review and couple pages dedicated to it

7. Seminasuke

Seminasuke Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Seminasuke
    That Shun outfit is the dorkiest thing ever...and I'll main him if they bring it back.

8. Thesch28

Most of the Calendar wallpapers are from the CG portraits but the important thing about these is that they are probably highest quality versions of those images in existence

9. Titan

Titan Member

Some awesome finds here, especially the artwork of the removed costumes! Got quite misty eyed digging through some of this stuff. However, I couldn't find the renders of the stages...could you provide the link to them, or post them here?

MadeManG74 likes this.
  10. Thesch28

I added the stage renders to the imgur link: https://imgur.com/a/jSOXS
    I didn't uploaded them before because i was trying to find higher quality versions of these images but sadly i haven't been able to find them at the moment.

11. MadeManG74

[​IMG]

Virtua Gear Solid

beanboy likes this.
  12. Thesch28

I thought the same thing the first time i saw this image.

13. Thesch28

I updated the page with 24 new renders from the "European Dreamcast Premiere Disc"
    as always you can find them in the Imgur page.
    By the way this image looks like a phone wallpaper :V
    [​IMG]
    VF3 Lion with his VF2 Costume
    [​IMG]
    AM2's logo
    [​IMG]

MadeManG74 likes this.
  14. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

This looked sooo advanced on the oldeer magazines I used to read back in the day.

Somehow, Pai looked the best in VF3 compared to 4 and 5 IMO.

It's funny, VF3 is the only VF game I have never played which sucks cause I know some peeps are crazy about it.

beanboy and Thesch28 like this.
  15. Thesch28

I updated the imgur post of VF3 renders with new stuff from the "Nürnberger Spielwarenmesse 1999 presskit'' and VF4 Dedicated artwork disc.
    among the new images you can find this really cool Taka render.
    VF3 Taka renders are quite rare so it's great to see one in such great quality!
    [​IMG]

Tumbling Dice, beanboy and MadeManG74 like this.
  16. MadeManG74

These are great, thanks for sharing! Amazing that we get these in high res now.

Tumbling Dice likes this.
  17. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Wow! Those are some really cool looking pics.

Tumbling Dice likes this.