1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Read here, read here! The mini-New York Gathering

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by ice-9, Nov 30, 1999.

1. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

While I was in New York, I couldn't resist the temptation to meet up with some of the NYC gang and get a few games of VF. Well, those "few games" turned out to be two full blown, 12++ hours of non-stop VFing! Definitely very cool. I'll run through my brief impressions of all the players and how they play.

Hiro
    Well, most of you should know about how Hiro plays by now. He didn't change much, but he did play Kage and Wolf a helluva lot. Now Hiro can get a pretty consistent TFT -> perfect knee. This...was BAD news for the rest of us! /images/icons/smile.gif Hiro probably had the most winning streaks out of all of us, although I don't think anyone broke double digit in the two nights of play.

adamYUKI
    Adam's Akira was sorely missed at Omaha! Well, I got the chance to play with him again, and his Akira has definitely changed. It doesn't seem to be as flow-chart based any more, and Adam now relies on hit/run and a few key flow charts. This makes his Akira much more difficult to hit, but Adam has lost a bit of the "clean GAMEST style" that had distinguished him from before. Still an extremely powerful Akira though--Adam scored a lot of SPODS during the two nights and that were instrumental in his come backs.

ghetto-SHUN
    I've always known Nelson's Shun could be a pain, but the two nights of VF was when I truly realized how frustrating Nelson's Shun could be (the way Shun SHOULD be). Nelson's offense is spot on, and his chouwan combos are flawless, but it is his defense that really makes him so difficult. His combination of d+P, d+K, d/b+K,K(G), and various other moves that make Shun fall to the ground makes his Shun one slippery target. When Nelson has more life than you do, and time is running out, you will realize how impossible it is to come back. /images/icons/smile.gif

CrewNYC
    Andy too was sorely missed at the Omaha Gathering. Andy played Pai and also debuted his quick Jacky. Well, most of you know how Andy plays--dizzingly fast. His Pai was mainly a combination of Ps, d/f+K, CD heel kick, d/b+K+G, and swallow kicks. When Andy gets into a groove, he's really the man to beat.

Overall, play was quite balanced during the two sessions, with everyone scoring winning streaks but never dominating. I played Kage, of course, but because Hiro and I were sharing playing time with him, I also played a few other characters. I was quite successful with Lau, Jacky, Aoi, and Taka to a limited degree, but struggled with Sarah, Jeffry, and Lion. For me, one cool highlight was a Jacky fight fest between the five of us, as we pitted Jackys against one another. It was a highlight because my Jacky emerged the most evil among them all, bwahahahahahaaaa!!!! /images/icons/wink.gif My Kage also improved a lot towards the end of two sessions after some feedback from Hiro; be warned though, it's slightly more scrubbier now. *grinz*

ice-9 | Sennin

2. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Yep...it was definitely very cool having jeff over for the two days. It was definitely hardcore, although when it hit about 4 or 5 AM, most of us had trouble keeping our eyes open (*_*)
    A couple of non-vf highlights include Andy seducing the waitress and asking her out when we all went to eat at Johnny rockets...hehehehe....you shoulda seen his face as he was building up his courage to ask her. Also Ice-9 couldnt stop farting the two nights we played with him....manoman...the guy has <font color=white>NO</font color=white> shame whatsoever!!! But a fun time was had by all.
    ICE-9...i didnt know i even had a "clean GAMEST style"...so can you just elaborate on the things that i dont do anymore, as i dont think i consciously remember my transition to this new style. Although i do remember Hiro always telling me to change my routines as he notices that i have a few BAD habits that he exploits quite easily (although now for some reason his WOLF doesnt give me any real problem though). Id like to retain the stuff that you think was effective (things that i used to do before that i dont do anymore)and augment it with this new "hit and run" style...hahahahaha.....
    Your input would be greatly appreciated ICE-9 (aka the <font color=red>mad</font color=red><font color=blue>FARTER</font color=blue>) !!!

<font color=red>ORA! ORA! ORA!</font color=red>

<font color=white>adam</font color=white><font color=red>YUKI</font color=red>

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Err, ignore those farting comments. A big fat lie I tell you!!!

*Ahem*

Anyway.

Adam, it could be just because you were playing me that you changed your style--I'm not sure. Previously, your Akira continuously moved from one flow chart to another. However, when I played with you during the past weekend, you used a lot more movement (half back step, crouch backwards, etc.) interweaved in your attacks, and that is why I used the term "hit/run" to describe your style. Personally, I think I have a lot more trouble with this style than "clean GAMEST style". I actually love playing against a "clean GAMEST style" since Ting Akira, one of the sparring partners I learned the game with, always played that way and it's something that I'm used to.

ice-9 | Sennin

4. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

Err, ignore those farting comments. A big fat lie I tell you!!!

Both Mike and I know that it's not a lie. You proved yourself otherwise at Omaha too.

Anyway, I don't know how Adam changed his play-style in the past weekend, but I've always thought that Adam/Ice/Sumeragi had a very clean style. Clean...meaning that it's fair and square, and what else...sorry I cannot explain well. But one evidence I can cite is that I don't get bothered at all when I lose to thevir CLEAN style.

Oh, I forgot to include Rich as well. Some may say things about his style, but to me, it all makes me. I was crouching...elbow-stagger. I was standing...b,b+K+G. Every time I lost to Rich, it made sense how Rich took advantage of my weaknesses. So I couldn't have get bothered much (perhaps because I did not lose 10+ in row)

On the hand, Hiro/Nelson/Me/Harold/Emil sold their souls to the devil. We will pretty much do anything to kill the opponent. No remorse. As Hiro once put it, "Physical damage is not everything about VF. It's also mental. So concentrate on hurting your opponent mentally." Yes, when I lose to these guys, I get annoyed, especially Harold. Losing to Nelson's Shun is frustrating. Emil also plays non-theoretical game, so I don't understand why I'm losing. Oh, losing to Hiro's 4-move Pai is also something too.

5. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

"Anyway, I don't know how Adam changed his play-style in the past weekend, but I've always thought that Adam/Ice/Sumeragi had a very clean style."

Because of Hiro's influence...we're all falling to the dark side....aaaah! /images/icons/wink.gif

ice-9 | Sennin

6. Guest

Guest Guest

"Yes, when I lose to these guys, I get annoyed, especially Harold."

Muhuhahahaaaa!!! Although I didn't realize my game was _that_ "un-clean" so to speak. I usually try to play by the book (Gamest I guess), but when going up against opponents more skilled/experienced than I am... well... I have to rely on mind games and other "voodoo tactics" as Emil likes to call them. I concentrate more on throwing an opponent out of his game instead of just countering it. And nothing accomplishes this better than by pissing the guy off. *grin*

No one did this better than Brian from Minnesota though... If we're gonna talk about the dark side, then his Aoi was Satan incarnate.

Harold