1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendations for a new computer??

Discussion in 'General' started by ono, Jul 10, 2002.

1. ono

ono Well-Known Member

Hello all,

I have come to a stump in the road. I am completely unsure of what new PC to buy, problem caused to the vast variety. I ask for your help to inform me on the best performance/price/gaming pc's availible.

Here are the specs that i would like in a general idea...

-2.0 GHz processor...not sure if AMD or Intel P4 is better....but make your suggestions
    -a fast frontside bus.....400 mhz
    -256 MB RDRAM
    -80.0 GB hardrive
    -DVD-RW drive
    -Not sure which is a good video card, but i need a good one for online gaming, but im not using two monitors..
    -A good sound card
    -at least 17 inch monitor

well those are my specs, give or take a little...

please post your reccomendations asap.....for this old slow thing is getting on my nerves......

-ono-

2. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

P4 is more reliable for me, but Athlons are very good too (but need better cooling). Get more RAM! 256 MB is nothing. For a decent video card, either Radeon 8500 or GeForce3 Ti500 / GeForce4 any-not-MX.

3. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    Not sure how to reply to this. You already much know what you want. /versus/images/icons/crazy.gif

For vid card, get one w/ at least 16MB Vram. I believe Monster sound cards are the best.

If you going to a major manufacture. Go with Dell.
    Steer away from Compaq, their home systems are not good. /versus/images/icons/mad.gif

Try out these sites. /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif
    Firing Squad
    AnandTech
    Tom's Hardware guide

4. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

give that list to a small local shop that custom builds and just give them a couple of days.

You know what you want in a PC, just don't be fooled into buying something less, or something really expensive. For god's sake don't get it at sears or circuit city or staples$!@#!@#

5. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

For vid card, get one w/ at least 16MB Vram. I believe Monster sound cards are the best.

Come back to 1997 or so, where you belong /versus/images/icons/wink.gif Today 64 MB of video RAM is minimum for games. And, Nvidia and Radeon are pretty much the only companies /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

6. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

heres a little somethin something to look at or drool over......

G4

7. Ellinas

Ellinas Well-Known Member

Listen to Creed and get it custom built. If you buy it from one of the major manufacturers they're going to give you some really substandard parts. Really a bad idea. Or if you have some computer geek friend buy the parts and get him/her to put it together for you.

You can't beat AMD for performance/price
    my recommendation for processor/motherboard/ram/videocard:
    AMD Athlon xp 1800+ (get the boxed version so you get a fan with it)
    Asus A7V-333
    1x or 2x 256 megs DDR333 ram
    MSI GF4 8670 TI4200 128M DDR

The xp 1800+ is easily the best price/performance combo right now. You don't have to worry about reliability of the processor unless your fan stops, in which case your processor is fried, but considering how cheap it is.... well, it's no big loss. Pentium 4's used to be a horrible buy, but not really since intel got more reasonable with the prices. Overclocking a P4 1.6 Northwood is another great performance/price buy, but i'm guessing you don't want to go in to overclocking, ha.

Any other 333 motherboard would be good also, but I would recommend asus because they've been very reliable and overall good in my experience with them. If you don't want to spend that much money on a videocard, I would suggest a geforce 3 ti200 or ti500, possibly a Radeon 8500 but you might get headaches with that one. I posted some stuff about videocards here: http://virtuafighter.com/versuscity/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=tecmo&Number=45616&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1
    if you care to look...

256 ram is enough, but it's pretty cheap so I would go with 512.

8. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

if you know someone who can put together a sys, go to
    pricewatch.com

usually VERY cheap prices on pcs/parts. also tccomputers.com is also a good site but not too cheap. BUY MAC BUY MAC.....lol. j/k.....

9. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    I stand corrected /versus/images/icons/blush.gif

I don't play many games on my machine. And I forgot how FPS are such resource hogs. I take that back, every new game is resource crazy /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

Come to think of it, I'll be upgrading real soon