1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Reduce LAG

Discussion in 'PlayStation Network' started by Fabrizio Villavicencio, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Are you experiencing LAG issues using PSN? You can't connect to certaint people while playing, your lagging while playing online, PsStore is either laggy or you can't use it? Here is the solution, and it's really, really simple. This is what helped me back in the day when i was frusterated beacouse i couldent play with friends due to lag. Any router and internet connection will do. Cable or wireless. Lets start.

How to reduce or get rid of any LAG regarding Ps3 and/or PSN.
    Provided to you by PortForward.com and Hakon.

Introduction.
    What is the key to reduce bad connection and lag you may ask.
    They key is to setup a static IP to your Ps3. In this tutorial, the guys at PortForward.com will do just that. Lets go ahead.

What is an IP adresse?
    IP addresses are four sets of numbers separated by periods that allow computers to identify each other. Every computer has at least one ip address, and two devices should never have the same ip address. If they do, neither of them will be able to connect to the internet.

Dynamic IP vS Static IP.
    Most routers assign dynamic IP addresses by default. They do this because dynamic ip address networks require no configuration. The end user can simply plug their computer or console in, and their network will work. When ip addresses are assigned dynamically, the router is the one that assigns them. Every time a computer or console reboots it asks the router for an ip address. The router then hands it an ip address that has not already been handed out to another computer or console. This is important to note. When you set your PS3 to a static ip address, the router does not know that the PS3 is using that ip address. So the very same ip address may be handed to another computer or console later, and that will prevent both devices from connecting to the internet. So when you asign a static IP addresses, it's important to assign an IP address that will not be handed out to other devices by the dynamic IP address server. The dynamic IP address server is generally refered to as the dhcp server.

The Tutorial.​

Step 1.
    Turn on your PS3, and then navigate to the Settings option on the main menu.

Step 2.
    Move down this list to Network Settings. Network Settings should be at the very bottom of the list.

Step 3.
    After you have selected Network Setting, move to the right and select Settings and Connection Status List in the list that comes up.

Step 4.
    Write down the IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Router displayed here. You will use same Subnet Mask, and Default Router down below. You will change the last octet of the IP Address and enter it below as well. More on how to do that later. Go ahead and go back to the Netowrk Settings menu.

Step 5.
    After you have selected Network Setting, move to the right and select Internet Connection Settings in the list that comes up.

Step 6.
    An short message will pop up. Press Ok to move on.

Step 7.
    Select Custom for the setup method.

Step 8.
    On the next page select Wired or Wireless connection depending upon how your PS3 is connected to your network.

Step 9.
    We are going to setup this connection manually so we can forward ports to your PS3. So select Manual Settings.

Step 10.
    Auto-Detect the speed and duplex settings.

Step 11.
    We are going select Manual Settings on the IP Address Setting page.

Step 12.
    Enter the the ip address you want to use for your PS3 into this page. It's important to choose an ip address that not in your router's dhcp range. You can check this by login in to your router and looking at it's dhcp or LAN page. Alternatively you can just pick an ip address that is not close to the ip address we found earlier. For instance if your PS3 was using something like 192.168.0.2, then you would want the new ip address to be something like 192.168.0.200. If your PS3 was using something like 192.168.0.240, then you would want the new ip address to be something like 192.168.0.2. Only the last group of numbers on the ip address should change, and that group of numbers would range from 2 to 254. Please, don't over think this just pick a number and go with it. I have just tried to provide some guidelines here so you can pick a better number.

Enter the Default Gatway and Subnet Mask we wrote down earlier.

You will also have to specify the DNS servers your PS3 will be using. This is usually required when your network's router is not passing the dns server information to the computers that have static ip address properly. First you need to find out what DNS servers your PS3 should be set to. The easiest way to do this is to give your ISP a call. They will probably ask you why you need them. Tell them the truth, your PS3 is requesting them. They should give you two ip addresses, one for the primary dns server and one for the secondary dns server.

Step 13.
    Select Automatic for the MTU settings.

Step 14.
    You should almost always select Do Not Use on the Proxy Server page. The only time you need to setup proxy server settings is when you connect through a proxy server. If you were doing that, you would have been given specific instructions from your isp on how to setup this section.

Step 15.
    Set the UPNP options to Disable. UPNP should be turned off so it doesn't try to use it, instead of your port forwarding configuration.

Step 16.
    Your PS3's IP Address should be Confirmed. If it is not then you have made an error in setting up the static ip address for your PS3.

Step 17.

Your PS3 should save your settings. Select the Test Connection option on this page.

Step 18.
    All of the tests should pass, except the UPNP test. We previously disabled it.

So far, So good. What's up next?

Your Ps3, now has a static IP. This itself will better your connection by ALOT, but if you want that extra little push for each game, you can go ahead and keep follow this tutorial. We will be opening ports now.

How to open port's in your router for better gaming experience.
    Provided to you by PortForward.com and Hakon.

Introduction.
    Opening ports will make the game run better on your connection. You will get less laggy, and better connection.

The tutorial.

Step 1.
    Got to Portforward.com. Click on "Router List". Find you router and click on it.

Step 2.
    Pick the game your going to forward ports against. Click on it and follow the on screen instructions.

Hope this little guide helped you in anyway. Happy gaming on a lag free connection. [​IMG]

2. This is my own one.....

Port Forwarding PS3 Virtua Fighter 5 on the Ubee U10C022-Ambit

What is Port Forwarding?
    View all Router Screenshots.
    To setup port forwarding on this router your computer needs to have a static ip address.
    Try our free PF Setup Static IP Address Program which will setup a static ip address for you.

Or you can take alook at our Static IP Address guide to setup a static ip address. When you are finished setting up a static ip address, please come back to this page and enter the ip address you setup in the Static IP Address box below.

Do not skip this step!

[​IMG]
    Open a web browser like Internet Explorer or Firefox. Enter the internal IP address of your router in the address bar of your browser. If you do not know your routers internal IP address please read our How To Find Your Routers IP Address guide.

In the picture above the address bar has http://www.google.com in it. Just replace all of that with the internal IP address of your router. By default the IP address should be set to 192.168.0.1.

[​IMG]
    You should see a box prompting you for your username and password. Enter your username and password now. By default both the username and password are user. Click the Ok button to log in to your router.

Please visit our Default Router Passwords page if the username and password shown above do not work for you.

[​IMG]
    Click the Gateway link near the top of the page.
    The menu on the left should change. In this new menu, click Forwarding.
    [​IMG]

Entry #1

We will list a series of lines here that will show you exactly how to forward the ports you need to forward. PS3 Virtua Fighter 5 requires you to forward the 5223,3478,3479,3658 ports. Go ahead and enter the settings shown above into the Forwarding menu and then click Apply.
    Index Local IP Internal
    Port Public Interface IP Ext Start
    Port Ext End
    Port Protocol Enabled
    1.​
    192.168.0. Both

Entry #2

You should see another page of settings that need to be entered into one of the blank lines on your routers Forwarding page. Go ahead and enter those settings and then click Apply.
    Index Local IP Internal
    Port Ext End
    Port Protocol Enabled
    2.​
    192.168.0. Both

Entry #3

You should see another page of settings that need to be entered into one of the blank lines on your routers Forwarding page. Go ahead and enter those settings and then click Apply.
    Index Local IP Internal
    Port Ext End
    Port Protocol Enabled
    3.​
    192.168.0. Both

Entry #4

Index Local IP Internal
    Port Ext End
    Port Protocol Enabled
    4.​
    192.168.0. Both

And that is it! You are done!

To test if your port has been properly forwarded, you can use our Port Checker tool.
    Didn't find the screenshot you were looking for? Check our our giant collection of router screenshots.

DomAug, BeastEG and RzaRectah like this.
  3. Valakrie

Valakrie Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Valakrie_2041
    For everyone liking these posts, does this actually work?

4. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

I did something similar on my xbox360 and it works. The quality of your connection is called NAT. When it's red or yellow means something is blocking the port where the connection goes through. To open it (and make it green) you need to follow that procedure.

5. DigitlSamurai

DigitlSamurai Well-Known Member

PSN:
    DigitlSamurai
    XBL:
    DgtlSamurai KOF
    I don't recommend opening a port on your network for any reason, ever. The original post failed to mention that by following these instructions you will compromise your computer's security.

6. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

The port opening is for the router, not the netbook. Unless you connect your xbox/ps3 to play online.

7. Andramelech

Andramelech Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Andramelech
    I wasn't able to this time, but sometimes if your router has a dmz option, putting your console in there will leave all ports open to it.

Digit - you have to compromise security to do anything. You wouldn't want to put a PC on your dmz, no, but you and everyone else has ports 80, 443 among others open, just to surf the internet. Everyone has ports open all the time..

8. Mister

If you are so worried about surfing on internet with those ports open, just install a firewall and firewall those ports on your PC. That way the ports are safe but not blocked on the router and you can use your console to play with an open NAT.

9. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

Just done the static IP thing and the Port Forwarding. I'll try playing a few games now and see if I notice any difference.

10. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    http://portforward.com/

Just start at the router tab since we all obviously don't use the same router. There are guides for XBL / PSN / Specific Games / Torrent / etc etc etc. It's all there....

I've been doing this for years and it does make a difference. I think Shidosha was recently experiencing some connection problems and after he was told about this everything has been aye ok.

I'm pretty sure there is an old thread that already covers all this somewhere on VFDC.

MarlyJay likes this.
  11. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

Does using the game VF5 still work even though we're using VF5FS now?

12. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    Doubt it since FS is using a net code similar to Daytona USA. Perhaps that might work, but honestly I don't know.

13. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

I did everything, played a game, and it didn't really seem any different. Still noticeable lag and spikes and stuff, but it wasn't any worse, so I'm not too fussed. I'm thinking we need different port numbers for FS since it's a different game to VF5.

14. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    The ports are system-based not game-based AFAIK.

PSN ports are TCP: 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480, 5223, 8080 and UDP: 3478, 3479, 3658.
    http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/connecttest.html
    Also make sure that the ports are open not only on your side, but on you ISP side as well!

Personally I tried this. I get slight but noticeable improvement on PSN and pretty nice improvement on XBL.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  15. Ben_Lord_Dur

Ben_Lord_Dur Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Ben Lord Dur
    Most ISP router have an XBL setting via web setting menu.
    It opens specific port for XBL and that's it! You can also turn Upnp ON.

16. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    Assigning a static IP adress to your PS3 and opening ports does absolutely nothing to reduce lag or fix a bad connection. What it would fix is that if your PS3 is having problems connecting to the internet/router, for the static IP, or you're having problems connecting to other players or PSN, for the ports. The connection itself doesn't improve at all, if you have a shitty internet, your only choice is to get a better one. There are no magic tricks.

Valakrie likes this.
  17. Valakrie

Valakrie Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Valakrie_2041
    Judging by the posts in this thread, this is what it seems like it boils down to. To be honest I was kind of hoping for the magic trick :(

18. Junsuina Chikara

Junsuina Chikara Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Jun_Chikara
    XBL:
    LeprekaunTM
    AFAIK, the only setting you need to care about is UPnP. If UPnP is enabled on your router and it's enabled on your PS3/X360, it will automatically open the ports when either console tells the router it needs something to come through. With UPnP enabled, I get a perfect connection test on X360 and PS3 reports NAT Type 2. This malarchy of setting DMZ, opening ports is NOT required.

If both systems report the ports open, then the ports are open ;)

19. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

From my experience changing the UPnP on the PS3 hasn't really done anything either way (my router's always been set to 'on'). I got a new router a week or so ago, and the upload speed on the PS3 internet connection test is really really low when I use wireless (wasn't too bad with the old router), so I've been trying all this stuff again to see if anything works, but it just sits around 200kbps (my old router would be around 3~5mbps).

20. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    #1 UPnP is a rather large security risk and is not recommended if you know how to open ports/set a DMZ, plus the PS3 UPnP is whack anyway.
    #2 Don't use wireless.

Really, there just isn't any tricks when it comes to this, it's all been explained a million times before and the only things you need to do are:

1) Assing your PS3 a static IP address, Google that shit if you don't know how. While you're doing that, assing all of your network devices one and turn off DHCP at your router if possible.
    2)Open the required ports on your router and assign them to your PS3's IP address. The ports can be found in the PS3 online manual, but they are TCP 80, 443, 3478-3480, 5223, 8080 and UDP 3478-3479, 3658. If you have a firewall on the router, you need to set it accordingly too.
    3) If all goes well, you get reported NAT 2 on the PS3 network test and voila. If not, most likely your ISP has blocked some of the ports or your router is just shit, for the longest time I had the latter. Google for routers that have been reported to work with PS3 and buy one if possible, but for the ISP one you are fucked.