1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

revised vf4 stepping?

Discussion in 'VF.TV' started by chingdude, Feb 27, 2002.

1. chingdude

chingdude Well-Known Member

my nizzidges!~ /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

there has been discussion on the japanese bbses regarding methods of step movement; see the following:
    translator. oddly, it looks a lot like a mishima lightdash only in reverse.

step technique:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-King/5962/step_60.zip>http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-King/5962/step_60.zip</a>

2. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

I don't suppose you can do this forwards can you? Is there a difference in the limits of backwards CD and forward CD?

3. Rulakir

Rulakir Well-Known Member

There seems to be a lot of cancelling of moves such as d+K, G cancelling involved in order change stances. What I'm baffled is why the constant use of the G after the CD ? Granted that it is a pretty good defensive measure, but it seems redundant in that the movement distance is actually lessened wouldn't it ?

4. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

This reminds me of the "Chicken Step" (I think it's called) in VF3tb (I'm assuming it's in all VF3).

That particular step was done with rapid QCB type of motions if I recall. I never spent time on it, nor did I get good at it. But this clip really reminds me of that step.

-Chanchai

5. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    <blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

There seems to be a lot of cancelling of moves such as d+K, G cancelling involved in order change stances. What I'm baffled is why the constant use of the G after the CD ?

<hr></blockquote>

As chingdude posted, the inputs for this rapid backward CDing is:

db, db, G, db, G, db, G, db, G, .....

The use of the G allows you to effectively cancel one CD with another CD, indefinitely. I don't think you could do it as fast if you simply tried db x N.

Compare:

db, db, G, db

with

db, db, db, db

They both result in the same thing: a backward CD cancelled by another backward CD, but I'm sure you'll see that the second method of input is much easier, and hence is able to be performed much faster, which is what you see in the movie step_60.mpg.

Granted that it is a pretty good defensive measure, but it seems redundant in that the movement distance is actually lessened wouldn't it ?

<hr></blockquote>

Lessened in the sense that the distance covered by each CD isn't as big, but when you combine a few of them together, done at a fast pace, you'll be able to move away quicker than you could otherwise.

But I will agree that it's pretty redundant. I find that just doing db,db x 2 is sufficient enough whenever I need some space. A simple hop backwards is fine too.

6. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

db, db, G, db, G, db, G, db, G,

Doesn't tapping guard here clear the buffer, so a single d/b couldn't suffice for a crouch dash command?

I mean you can't backdash with b,b G, b, G, b, G.

7. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

need.....to.......practice..........

8. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

Doesn't tapping guard here clear the buffer, so a single d/b couldn't suffice for a crouch dash command?

I mean you can't backdash with b,b G, b, G, b, G.

<hr></blockquote>

You would think that the buffer should be cleared, but for some reason I can't explain, it doesn't, and the rapid CD input sequence I listed works.

As for the rapid backdash input you listed, well, again, I can't explain why that won't work while it does with CDs. Maybe there's a property unique to CDs that allows a kind of meta-buffering with the G button. *shrug*

9. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

rather than breaking the rules, maybe dude's using the quick wiggle motion? He does a C-dash, the stick is at d/b... taps guard while stick is still at d/b. Game registers guard for a few frames, then immediately registers d/b when he releases guard. Dude returns to neutral or down, then goes to d/b again and taps guard.. .repeat.

You see the idea? the game is registering d/b, n, d/b (or maybe d/b, d, d/b) but the guy's just splitting one d/b into two d/b's by tapping guard and holding the stick there very briefly.

10. LittleWild

LittleWild Well-Known Member

In the original Japanese post, the guy who did the move mentioned that the neutral motion of the stick has been omited from the 33G3G33G.

So it should have been something like 33Gn3Gn33Gn

I think I sound real stupid if I ask this, but how does this CD thing improve gameplay?

11. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Its an option among many. It's more a novelty skill.

Only useful but dashing backwards quickly. For going forwards running is much faster.

In general its quite useful for faking mistakes from your opponent.

12. chingdude

chingdude Well-Known Member

http://baiagu.hoops.ne.jp

p.s. i just realized that baiagu.gooside.com is the webpage of baiagurau, the lau player that place 3rd overall in the japanese national tournament.

13. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

i think the cd'ing can lead to more setups if done correctly and use wisely. quick ins and out of range.......

14. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

are there any <font color=yellow>evade</font color=yellow> & crouch dash cancel methods yet discovered? ... i need to get out of this linear feel.....

also, what's the chicken step? i've never heard of this method... care to tell me more?

15. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

yeah evade + crouch dash was discovered in VF3. Yes, it works in VF4 under some conditions, which have been discussed to death.
    <font color=red>Use the </font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://virtuafighter.com/versuscity/search.php?Cat=>search</a><font color=red>, Luke. I am your father. </font color=red>
    The real search is above the 'your'.

Chicken step is a joking term used to describe constantly running away with multiple buffered crouch dashes, or even back dashes.... or even good old b,b --> f,f --> b,b --> f,f machi movement.

16. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

thanx creed,... i reeeeallyy need to get VF4 in the home to practice these things... ^_^

17. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

err... i could'nt find it on the search... could anyone tell me about the <font color=yellow>evade</font color=yellow>/crouch dash cancel method in VF4? (plz)

18. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

In VF4, evades are so small (usually) that there is no time to evade and then crouch dash while evading.
    Also, the motion for the evade makes it a little tricky.

If the opponent does an attack, your evade is long, like in VF3. So crouch dashing out of the middle of this evade is possible.

There is no way to do evade - crouch dash - evade - crouch dash like in VF3, unless the opponent keeps attacking you.

19. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

U kinda can do it
    not like the speed of KSing...but u still can do it~

Because whenever I do it..my friends all say it looks very much like the way I KS in VF3

5 pair of eyes cannot be blind at the same time /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

20. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

hmm, i'll need to do some experimenting...... thanx for the info /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

sometimes i wonder about VF4's development..