1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Ring outs in tournament play

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by jn91, Apr 15, 2005.

1. jn91

jn91 New Member

I'm curious,

Watching match videos in the media section, I notice that a lot of times, not always though, when a player is backed up the edge of an open ring, his opponent will often back off to the middle, allowing the player some breathing room.

Why do they do that?

Is it because the player on the offense doesn't want to take a chance that a skilled player will use a side-changing move on him, costing him a round. So he prefers to back off and finish the opponent on his own terms.

Or is it because there's some sort of "code of honor" among some tournament players that think that ring outs are bad form.

2. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

"
    Is it because the player on the offense doesn't want to take a chance that a skilled player will use a side-changing move on him, costing him a round. So he prefers to back off and finish the opponent on his own terms.
    "

Ding Ding Ding. We have a winnar.

Yes, this is exactly why they back up. Certain characters have dangerous setups when their backs are to the wall/ring. Namely Wolf or Kage (basically anyone with a position changing throw)

3. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

not oly that, but if you are well ahead of your opponent in life, you're better off just fighting it out, instaed of going for a ring out (or risking being ringed out yourself)

if however the person has less life, they will ALWAYS attempt for a ringout.

4. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    Nobody ALWAYS does anything, nor should they.

5. jn91

jn91 New Member

I understand.

That's yet another reason why I love this game. The amount of psychology that can go in matches is amazing.

6. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] nah, if you're in decent ringout position, and have a lot less life, you will/should always go for ringout.

7. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    That's an extreme situation and it isn't like your opponent isn't going to see it coming anyway. Variety really is one of the best weapons, period.

8. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

and there are varying ways you're going to attempt the ringout.

trust me, i highly doubt there are many instances where one person is trying to go for a ringout, and the other person doesn't think they are.

and well, even if you know your opponent is going for a ringout, that doesn't mean you'll be able ot stop them.

9. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    Your options aren't exactly huge if your opponent's back is to the ring-edge and you're trying to knock them out of it. Mostly because your opponent doesn't have many options (ie they can't use backdashes, can't really guard too much or they'll be pushed out etc etc) so you're left just trying to beat their evade or something. But if you always use the "obvious" full-circular to beat their "obvious" evade to get your ring out then you're running the risk of them guarding you and taking their free finishing mC combo. That's just the scenario that came to mind, I know things are more complex than that.

Obviously the ring-out would be the "best" option but like any other situation if you try the less expected route it can yield good results also. And I know there have been times when I've rushed in for a "cheap" ringout and been finished for my predictablity.

10. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

I just want to point out that jn91 was merely asking about a particular situation/instance:

"Watching match videos in the media section, I notice that a lot of times, not always though, when a player is backed up the edge of an open ring, his opponent will often back off to the middle, allowing the player some breathing room.

Why do they do that?"

And the simple answer is that the player is respecting his opponent's options at the edge of the ring.

11. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

you should come to Metro and play against the boys.

GE

12. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

sure, when do you want to pick me up? /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

really though, i would be more than interested.

13. GodEater

you live in mississauga, right? Depending on when everyone is playing and if I'm coming from home or from work I can pick you up. Alternatively, we sometimes gather at my place in Georgetown to play so that is always an option.

you can PM me your address and stay active in our Jamboree thread if you're serious.

GE

14. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

correct... i live almost right at thomas and winston churchill.

15. GodEater

yeah, you're only 20 minutes away from me.

now back to the ring out discussion already in progress.

GE

16. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] nah, if you're in decent ringout position, and have a lot less life, you will/should always go for ringout.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you shouldn't. That's pretty bad advice. If I'm low on life w/ Kage with my back to the edge of the ring, what do you think is on my opponent's mind? In this position I can't just do TFT when I have advantage and expect it to work. For example, if I land a P hit, P -> upper is something that would be smart in this situation. Anyone with half a brain will attack at disadvantage in this situation, especially if they have much more life. If it's about even they are pretty likely to do evade-throw escape along with attacking back. And guess which throw they're going to escape?

You have to be aware of all the guessing games.

17. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

when i say decent ringout position, i mean opponent's back to ring.

18. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

It goes double there. Akira and Kage's evade attacks can ring out if their back is to the edge, so you have to be very careful of attacking. And if you throw or delay even a bit, a simple pp4p from Kage will push you far enough back to lessen the threat of a RO and give Kage initiative. Same with anyone with 3~4 hit PP strings.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't push RO, but understand that there are strong options for both players. If your opponent's back is to the edge and you have more life, against a strong player it's a wise choice to back up.

19. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

alright, so there is no disagreement :p

20. Painty_J

Painty_J Well-Known Member

And then it turned into a full blow discussion on what those options are and how they are applied, etc.

Hey, at least nobody said it was "To be polite to his oppoonent"