1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Riot's new Fighting Game - League of Legends fighter?

Discussion in 'General' started by MadeManG74, Oct 16, 2019.

1. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

What's everyone's thoughts on this? Lot of chatter around the FGC that this could be a major thing with the potential TenCent money behind it.

What we know so far is that Cannon brothers are involved (Evo creators), most other details are pretty thin.

Interested to see what they do, I'm hoping they try to shake things up with Free to Play model or something similar. Hopefully it's something that'll benefit the other games in the scene rather than hurt them.

2. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

@MadeManG74
    I'll be honest. I know that the game is still in early development, but from what I've seen so far, the game unfortunately looks kinda similar, to SF4, SFV, and many other 2d fighting games out there, that appear at Evo etc. Hopefully, Riot Games does something outstanding, and cool with it. Because it looks like it has alot of potential though.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    MadeManG74 likes this.
  3. MadeManG74

I have to agree, so far it looks very derivative unfortunately. I don't want to judge it based on a handful of seconds though, there's still a lot that we don't know.

beanboy likes this.
  4. beanboy

Yeah. True.
    But the thing I'm curious about, is how many characters, will be in this fighting game? I'm thinking like 50 plus characters might be in it, since League of Legends, has a ton load of characters. And dlc characters, will most likely be a thing too.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  5. MadeManG74

Do you think they could realistically make 50 characters for a new fighting game? I'd be surprised, although I guess it's possible. I would more likely expect a smaller roster to start and maybe regular DLC?

6. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

With the amount of money Riot has anything is possible.

beanboy likes this.
  7. MadeManG74

They got the money, but they also have to make a return on that investment, and I wonder if a roster that huge out of the gate would ever pay off, or even be a big draw for the game.

I think they'd be better off cheesing the customers with a DLC plan.

beanboy and Tricky like this.
  8. beanboy

It's kinda possible. But most likely, it might be 20+ characters in the main release, and the remaining 30+ might be cheesy dlc, and microtransactions. Hopefully, they don't go too much in that dlc/microtransactions route, like other game companies.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    MadeManG74 and Tricky like this.
  9. Tricky

I think they’ll go the lol ftp model and have rotating free characters and a base set of free ones.

beanboy and MadeManG74 like this.
  10. MadeManG74

That sounds likely too. But I fear that a fighting game with that many characters, especially locked out for most of the time is just going to be a nightmare for learning.

beanboy and Tricky like this.
  11. beanboy

@Tricky
    Yeah, the free to play model, might be a good idea.
    I should have mentioned that, in my previous post. Lol!:p

Tricky likes this.
  12. Tricky

Smash bros seems to manage just fine. The huge roster is the selling point for a lot of folks.

beanboy likes this.
  13. MadeManG74

Smash Bros also has previous games to draw on for animations and movesets etc, which this game doesn't have the luxury of. Smash move-sets are also much smaller than traditional fighters, no? I might be wrong.

14. beanboy

15. beanboy

Yeah, close.
    Smaller and larger in some cases. To a certain extent, you can kinda compare the number of moves from smash, to games like Street Fighter, Guilty Gear X and King of Fighters etc.

16. beanboy

I may not know, the whole lore, behind League of Legends. But....
    I wonder, who the final boss of this fighting game will be?:holla:

17. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    Just for reference, Riot's foray into board games has been a critical success.

And i read good things about their current foray into digital card games.

A decent track record so far.

beanboy and MadeManG74 like this.
  18. beanboy

That's good news for the Riot guys. Cool!
    And wow! Almost every game company, is jumping into the digital card game thing. I even saw a vid of Maximillian Dood, playing some Teppen game with the guys, the other day too.

19. beanboy

I'm curious to see, how this League of Legends fighting game plays.
    Hopefully they release a demo, when it's like almost complete.:p

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  20. beanboy

I wonder, will this game be on the nintendo switch too?
    Gasp! Unity game engine? Now it all makes sense.:holla:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020