1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

rising attacks

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by alantan, Dec 31, 2001.

1. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

I just read some stuff on the daily VF site.

Rising attacks. If you delay your rising (mid) attacks, it becomes throw counterable!! (except akira which remains uncounterable)

Even if the rising attack connects, the rising character DO NOT have initiative. Is that true? wow that makes okizeme very good.

can someone with better japanese take a look?

http://www.joy.hi-ho.ne.jp/d13492/ukemi.htm

2. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

My experience seems to support mid-rising attacks being throw counterable, with Akira as an exception.

Overall, okizeme in VF4 seems to be REALLY strong. And it's a topic that I think deserves more attention than it gets here.

The super priority of rising attacks is just plain gone in VF4 and you get some interesting "general" oki options. For instance, with Lion, I've actually used u+K quite a bit to beat both low rising attack AND MID RISING ATTACK. Same for d+K+G against sweep type low risers. Those are just a couple among many examples.

Even though the rising character doesn't gain initiative, I've still been able to do some pretty mean stuff after successful rising attacks against (at least) all of the opponents I have faced. But that is pretty new to me, that there's no advantage given to the riser.

-Chanchai

3. alucard

alucard Well-Known Member

Nice link Alan. :)
    What I understand from the article.

1. Delaying a rising attack makes a difference.

2. Non-delayed rising attacks(done ASAP) are not counterable, "with a few exceptions"(not mentioned).

3. Delayed rising attacks are throw counterable if blocked, low rising attacks are elbow counterable.

4. Generally, rising attackers do have the initiative if the attack is not blocked, with a few exceptions.

5. Most delayed low rising attacks leave the defender with initiative if its a normal hit, advantage is given to the attacker if its a counter hit.

6. Akira's rising attacks are not counterable.

4. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hey Alan, not just throw counterable, elbow counterable too I believe!

5. SeriousGround

SeriousGround Member

Recently I threw an Akira player after blocking a mid-rising kick three times in one round (he was having a shit day). Each time, he attempted to do a move after seeing me block his attack. To be honest I'm not sure if this is contradictory to what you're saying because I'm uncertain of what you mean by a 'delayed' rising kick?

6. marcel

marcel Well-Known Member

You are my savior. My brother and I play VF4 arcade and he always play as akira and me as pai. He's sitting here cursing because I didn't know you couldn't counter akira. Thank u :) Ow stop hitting me Chris!!

7. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

you know you can hit kick right away and get a rising attack, or wait a second or two and then do the kick? That's what he means. Or you can do a rising kick without rolling, or roll first and then kick. The gist of it seems to be that waiting a bit and then attacking makes your rising kick suck. I wouldn't be surprised if akira was an exception to this though, as he's clearly the golden boy :) ...you sure your friend wasn't just trying an incorrect throw escape maybe?

8. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

2. Non-delayed rising attacks(done ASAP) are not counterable, "with a few exceptions"(not mentioned).
    6. Akira's rising attacks are not counterable.

Was playing against comp Wolf with Akira, I got knock down and my non-delayed high/mid kick got reved (was mid-rev animation on Wolf). Akira was facing the floor before the rising kick ( guess thats one exception if he hits mid? )

9. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

Counterable does not mean reversable. Uncounterable moves mean no moves are guaranteed after blocking.