1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Rochester, NY - Feb 8th - EGS "Revival" tournament

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by supergolden, Jan 8, 2003.

1. supergolden

supergolden Well-Known Member Content Mgr El Blaze

Hey all,

Electronic Gaming Society over at RIT (Rochester, NY) is going to be holding "Revival" - a series of game tournaments to get together the local gamers with some tournaments... Including VF4, CVS2, MVC2 and Tekken 4.. The entrance fee will be small (probably $5 or $10) and it will be held somewhere on the RIT campus (likely the Student Alumni Union Cafeteria)... There will be a nice prize for the tourney (I even offered to donate one if necessary)... It will be held on a PS2 version hooked up to a projection screen with actual arcade controls (the folks over at EGS have a real nice setup with custom-built control cabinents)...

Although it probably won't be the biggest VF4 tournament it will be run well and on nice equipment. Double elim, 3/5 rounds, 2/3 matches... The other tournaments will be real nice too if you play those games...

Rich and I will be there and should provide some decent competition for anyone who decides to make it... Should be fun, hope to see some of you there

-Alex

2. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Rochester is not far from Toronto. I'd love to try and make it down...I'll double check my schedule and let ya know...

Thanks for the heads up /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

cheers,

3. supergolden

Great! We would be glad to have you... It is about a three hour drive I think, and if you need a place to stay for the night we can hook you up...

-Alex

4. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Well, I'm trying to put a Toronto group together for this...it looks as though a few of us (3 or 4) will come down. Been a while since we've had a little road trip - looking forward to it. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

cheers,

5. supergolden

Hey guys,

We're very excited Toronto players are coming down for the event! Tekken has always been popular in Rochester, but now they'll see some higher level VF players and that might spark their interest!

-Alex

6. supergolden

I'm going to bring a camera to videotape the event... Will we want to bring a memory card to save some matches (for the semis and finals, and maybe all if not too many people show up)? They've got a setup at this school so I'll be able to digitize the matches and footage and put it online...

And the impression I get is that you guys would rather play with your own controllers than the ones EGS is going to provide... Should I tell them that they can use their joysticks for another game ?

Looking forward to it,

-Alex

7. Namflow

Namflow Well-Known Member

hey guys - any thoughts as to what kind of tournament you want this to be. Right now its pretty standard double elimination, but I was wondering if doing a round robin of some sorts would be a good idea or not. Any thoughts?

8. supergolden

9. Namflow

Hey all just posting to get this thread moved back to the top and to remind everyone that is this weekend! super and I are going to be there (as well as the Toronto crew last I heard) so it's going to be a good event. Not that big, but it should be quality. Anyone else planning to brave the lands of ice and snow for some VF action?

10. supergolden

I was thinking it might be fun to start new characters for the day of the event, ala NYG3 because we're going to be getting a lot of free play on before and after the tournament... You guys interested?

Also I'm not sure how the setup for the tournament will be, whether it is completely random who fights who, or if a random roc person will fight a random toronto person in the first round, and then just go from there.. suggestions?

-Alex

11. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

I think you should use spoons to see who gets first. Everyone gets a spoon and the last person to lick their spoon says "ipsy-doodle"; if that person doesn't say "ipsy-doodle" any other person gets to shout "grum grum nugger" and do a double-tap with their left foot. At this point everyone has to give their beer to the person to the left and do the tea-cup dance (If there's no one on your left just dump the beer down your pants and then do the tea-cup dance); First two people to the joysticks gets to fight each other.

Remaining contestants repeat the steps above until everyone has gotten to play.

How many guys are in the tournament? If its rochester against Toronto you'll want to make sure Toronto doesn't end up fighting Toronto and Rochester versus Rochester since y'all could do that without travelling. I would say make sure its home against visitors.

Are you guys going to try a team battle or will there not be enough players for that?

GE

12. Namflow

I don't think the setup for the tournament is so much rochester vs toronto, but rather I know if I was in Toronto's position I wouldn't want to drive all the way down here just to fight my best bud in the first round. Of course I don't want to fight super in the first round either, but it just goes without saying that if you go to a tournament you'd rather fight new people as much as possible. Ya know?

That's a good idea about the team battle. I know Toronto will have enough for it but pickings are looking slim on the Rochester side. Ahh we can scrounge up an extra person to play with alex and myself and it'd be fun just for the hell of it.

13. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

definately agree. the good news is that if there is sufficient play time prior to the tourney then everyone gets to fight everyone anyway (and have fun!) and then buckle down for the tourney. At that point it might not matter who is versus who so much.

GE