1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

rumor time: VF Evolution coming?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by 3of19, May 10, 2002.

1. 3of19

3of19 Well-Known Member

Re: To add to this fact

I am pretty sure that VF Evolution will be on N@OMI2. The game is set to release this summer, I seriously doubt that AM2 would have been able to port the game over to the new Xbox/Xbox-PS2 board in this short amount of time.
    I certainly wouldn't mind a port over to the Xbox, it should be a good deal better than the PS2 port in terms of graphics, but I don't think even the Xbox would be able to do a 1:1 conversion, mainly due to the earlier mentioned RAM advantage of about 40Megabytes the N@OMI2 has. The Xbox shouldn't have any trouble with the polygon count (just like the PS2), but I don't think it can handle that amount of texture detail, though it sure would look better on Xbox than PS2. The Xbox just is lightyears ahead of the PS2 in the texturing department, but still not as good as N@OMI2.
    Looking at it from a financial point of view (which might not be enough, since VF is Sega's most prestigious arcade franchise), it wouldn't make sense to bring it on any other platform than N@OMI2 and PS2, since the game engine is already done, and the game only would need minor adjustment. Like it or not (and those who know me know that I loathe the PS2) the PS2 is the most widespread console at the moment, especially in Japan, where the Xbox now barely has broken the 200k mark, selling about 4K units a week compared to PS2 with 70K units. Japan IS the core market for VF so that's where Sega will hope to make their money.
    Of course, VF being such a prestigious franchise, and Yu Suzuki and AM2 being as proud as they are, they might want to really make VF the best playing and most dazzling fighting game there is, they might want to use the new Xbox arcade board for it. I doubt they would use Tri-Force, the Cube can't push as much geometry as the Box and while allowing more textures per polygon (8 as opposed to Xbox' 4), it is more hindered by the lower amount of RAM to really take advantage of this. Of course the arcade board propably won't have the same RAM limitations, but would most likely still be hindered by the lower polygon count of the Cube hardware.
    But then again, to really take advantage of a new hardware would require complete rebuilding of everyting in the game, which I doubt would have been possible given the tight schedule. But then again, AM2 could have been working on VFE ever since the release of Version A...

2. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

Well remember this

Question - Are there currently any plans on dropping the price of the PS2 at E3 or beyond?

Sony - There are no plans to drop the price of the PS2.

And a week later, it was dropped.

Remember Sega is still under exclusivity for VF on PS2, that however is up soon, they I'm sure are not allowed to speak of other conversions or other consoles until after that.

3. HighKing

HighKing Well-Known Member

Re: Well remember this

The X-box can display better and more textures than the NAOMI 2 because the X-Box has texture compression- 6:1. So 6mb would equal 1mb. The background textures in Virtua Fighter 4 aren't that great, I've seen better on the X-box and even the PS2 (tekken 4's backgrounds)

4. Torneko

Torneko Well-Known Member

Naomi2 has VQ Texture compression upto 8:1.

XBOX and GC is limited upto 6:1 by S3TC standard.

PS2 is can do JPEG like texture compression upto 20:1.

Furthermore, VF4, doesn't use Texture compression much, if you play around with texture compression before, just try it using DirectX SDK, pretty easy to do, than you know what to expect when you are compressing at very high ratio like 6:1
    Evenworse PS2 game that use such high texture compression, texture will look blurry. So high texture compression on detail texture maps is not a good idea.

What you see, in XBOX, GC, and PS2, is not the amount of texture, but the ability of those boxes to do texture map operation on it, so it looks nice. That's something Naomi2 is lacking, or very expensive on the hardware performance to do suchthing.

5. Torneko

That's call taking the opponent by suprise. If there is rumour of price drop it would hurt the sales of the consoles.

But I agree with you, no plan for the future, doesn't mean there is not going to be any plan for the future. It just mean they don't have any plan at the moment, but things change, that's why I said you can always hope.

But as far as I see it, VF4 in some form for XBOX would be quite a wait, possibly end of year or even next year. And who knows what kind of stunt AM2 will pull to get you to go to the Arcade, like this VF4 evolution for example.

6. HighKing

How do you know all this crap?

7. HunterRose

HunterRose Active Member

I am hearing from Sega that Taka will be coming back and I think the main Character from ShenMue Ryu....

but its just a rumor right

8. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

a little birdie told me that am2 and capcom are going to do a vs game.....

9. Torneko

Read the whitepapers. Read on VQ, and S3TC papers, then you will know. And you can experiment yourself as well.

Like I said, download DirectX 8.1 SDK and experiment yourself, though you have to at least have a DirectX 8 compatible card. Experiment with S3TC texture compression, which MS has bought the right, as well as all the shader that you can do, its pretty easy to do.

10. HighKing

Did you develop any videogames before? Seems like your from a videogame development company.

11. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Another bird (an ostrich) said it was Namco vs. Sega... Lord I hope not. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Ryu would be kewl, but is too much like Akira.

12. blackshadow

blackshadow Well-Known Member

capcom vs. sega would be kool and for the record ryu would beat the shit out of akira that motherfucka is the best f,d,df dragon punch awwww yeh and it wouldnt work ne wayz capcom cartoon graphics n sega's perfectionist graphics wouldnt mix

13. HighKing

No shit, of course Ryu would win because Akira doesn't have 100mph Fireballs!!

14. Torneko

100 mph Fireball LOL. I am not in videogames business, but Computer Graphics is one of my hobby long before videogames, and videogames is just a by product of it.

On another note, Akira would kill Ryu, since Ryu is a paper thin 2D character, all Akira has to do is side step and blow his nose and watched Ryu flies away.