1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Hart .vs. Homestay Akira Death Match Challenge

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Tsuujin, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Tsuujin

Tsuujin Well-Known Member

Hello all, this is Ryan Hart; I am just going to tell you all what went down in NY last weekend.

I travelled to NY cos I heard Homestay was going to be there and I thought it would be a good chance to play him as Japan is so far away and you can never get many games against one person when it's in the arcade, plus it costs money too.

So anyway, I went and I arrived on Friday night/Saturday Morning.

I met all the guys, Vith Dos was really cool as ever, same for Adam Yuki and Shou, Kyasao, Kazu and EVERYONE, Everyone was really nice (all except the lady in the Chinese takeaway when I tried to order Shrimp Foo Old instead of Young :p )

When I arrived I thought that Homestay would be tired as it was like 1 or 2 in the morning and when I arrived at the venue, sure enough, after being there for a few minutes, he was out like a light! /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif As for me, I was ready and raring to go, but I knew that sleeping first and waking up the next day and then playing would be the better option.

I spent nearly the whole having a strictly non-VF chat with Kung FuSmurf and Ghetto Shun which led to the most intriguing breakfast banquet that you've ever seen in your life. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif I had great fun with those guys, one of the best parts of our strictly non-VF chat was like the part when someone said "Why is it that when you get close to a girl, start to like her, then finally tell her, she comes out with like "Oh (name), I'm really sorry, but I don't see you in that way, you are like a brother to me"! Don't you just hate that guys? I just wish Kage's air-toss could actually be done in reality in times like this :) Anyway, these are the kinds of things we wasted the night away talking about instead of sleeping and I don't regret a minute of it. Hey Nelson, the dog dying in that movie was too much :p LOL.

Anyway back to VF:

Here are the results with me vs. everyone and characters too.

Ryan vs Kazu:

Ryan (Kage) 5 - Kazu (Lau) 2

Ryan (Kage) 5 - Nelson/Ghetto Shun (Vanessa) 1

Ryan (Jacky) 5 - Konjou Akira (Akira) 1 or 2?

Me.vs.Shou, I don't know if I should really put these results up cos me and Shou were SOOOOOOOO tired that some matches we were like just standing there letting the other beat down the other but I'll put them up anyway, here they are:

Ryan (Jacky) 22 - Shou (Sarah) 11

Ryan Hart vs Adam Yuki

This was a long battle, it took ages!!

Ok,

Ryan (Akira) 10 - Adam (Jeffry) 7

Ryan (Jacky) 10 - Adam (Jeffry) 8

Ryan (Kage) 10 - Adam (Jeffry) 4

2nd Jeff/Kage set

Ryan (Kage) 5 - Adam (Jeffry) 1

I think Adam may have been tired during this set, or maybe I played well, or maybe both, who knows.

Ryan Hart vs Kyasao

Ryan (Wolf) 7 - Kyasao (Jeffry) 7

Ryan (Kage) 5 - Kyasao (Kage) 1

He got the first game, and then I got 5 in a row. I was really happy about this, I mean come on guys, this guy is proper famous!!!

Random 5 on 5 tournament

I can't remember the teams exactly but the team captains were:

Homestay/Ghetto Shun
    Kyasao/Adam Yuki
    Ryan/Shou
    AZ yet/Konjou Akira

Kyasao's team had to play Homestay’s team

Kyasao beat Homestay in the final team match

Ryan's team had to play AZ yet's team

Ryan beat AZ yet in the final team match

AZ yet's team vs Homestay's team

Homestay's team get third when Ghetto Shun wipes everyone out until AZ yet comes on and beats him, then Srider comes and they battle Lau vs Lau. Srider really took it to AZ yet defeating him 3-0 or 3-1 quite convincingly too!

Homestay's team get third!!!

Ryan's team vs Kyasao's team: FINALS

Kyasao beats Ryan in the final match to take 1st place.

Congratulations to Kyasao for beating Ryan in the final in a very convincing win too!!

Outside the tourney again:

Adam Yuki vs Kyasao Official challenge: Race to 20 wins (not best of 20 wins!!!)

Final Result:

Kyasao 20 - Adam 17

It was really close with Adam leading for much of the time but then near the end Kyasao started to pull it back then he hit 20 to snatch the win.

Very close battle indeed with many matches being 3-2 going down to the very last hit.

Ryan Hart vs Homestay Akira

Ryan Hart (Kage)

Homestay Akira (Akira)

This challenge was best of 20 matches (to see who can get the most wins in 20 matches).

The challenge was on Shrine stage.

Ryan wins the first game...

Homestay 2nd...

Ryan 3rd...

Homestay 4th...

Ryan 5th...

Homestay 6th...

Homestay 7th...

Ryan 8th...

Ryan 9th...

Homestay 10th...

Current score 5-5

Homestay suddenly stops playing, then turns to Ryan and says (in Japanese of course): "Is it okay if we change the stage? Ryan being the gentleman (cough, #~#, pause button, cough) that he is says "Ok then", without thinking, I reckon there was a voice deep inside me saying 'Excuse me Mr.Ryan but, Akira vs Kage on the Arena stage with no ring outs and bare walls to get crushed against, does NOT A GOOD IDEA mean anything to you? Hellooooo, is anybody in there?!' But my mind was blank to common sense at that time and I just said, "Yes ok", with an almost gay smile on my face.

The battle restarted at 5-5 on the arena stage where he proceeded to crush my poor little Kage from pillar to post, or should I say from fence to fence.

The final score in Arena stage was 9-1 to Homestay Akira

I was completely beaten.

I just wish I had said no now and played to complete challenges, one on ring out stage and one on closed stage, not changing halfway through.

When we played in open ground I had so many more tactics, not only ring out strategy but also distance strategy, fake ring out strategy and other things too. Having a wall behind you doesn't exactly make back dashing or keeping space an attractive option if you know what I mean.

He told me that he wanted to change the stage so that he wouldn't have to think about being thrown out the ring.

This made me sooo happy, as even the World's top tier fears the strength of Ryan's ring out capabilities /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So anyway the final score was:

Open stage:

Ryan (Kage) 5 - Homestay (Akira) 5

Closed stage:

Ryan (Kage) 1 - Homestay (Akira) 9

Final Result:

Ryan (Kage) 6 - Homestay (Akira) 14

Anyway as far as I'm concerned him and Inotchi Akira (Soul Akira) are the best players in the world so I am quite happy, I will practice really hard from now on and try to reach that great pinnacle of VF cos I know I'm well on my way. I spoke to Homestay outside the tournament and he said I lost because my ARE was too weak, this was something cos I had tried not to use it as I didn't my skills brought down to some bug in the game, I don't think ARE is real skill and I don't think that you are really using your brain to guess when you use it so I didn't mind when he said that was the only reason. Also, we had some friendly matches later on too and I used it on him and I couldn’t believe how much easier the matches were, I could win much easier, but it was too late, I had already lost the Official Challenge, it's ok anyway, I learned a few things, I hope there will be another time I can meet him in battle, I guess it will be on final tuned now though /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

My personal opinion about Akira vs Kage is:

On Wall stage (i.e. Arena,etc)
    I think its about a 7-3 ratio to Akira

On Ring Out stage (i.e.Garden,etc)
    I think its about a 5-5 ratio

On Low Wall stage like (i.e.Colloseum,etc)

I thinks its about a 6-4 ratio to Akira

Please, everyone, feel free to add your opinions if you feel differently.

Also, I was really interested in talking to Homestay about the Japan VF scene and stuff and I just wondered who gives him trouble on the game so I asked Homestay who can beat him in Japan and he blatantly, without smiling said that NO ONE beats him.

When I asked him, this is what he said, "Well, actually I don't really lose to anyone", in the most casual voice you have ever heard. Then he added, "The only possibility I've got of losing is to Chibita or Inotchi and that’s it". I think he means in regular serious challenges. He was such a cool guy too, especially for the best player in the world. I hope all top-level guys are that cool in Japan too. So far most of the ones I've spoken too have been real swell. Playing Homestay made me realise one thing:

1.No matter how good you are, you must always do what's best for you, (i.e. Homestay requesting for the stage change) I was surprised when Homestay asked me to change stage, as I know he is so strong. But even Homestay had to have his turf, the Arena. I respect that, and I will remember this whenever I have matches in the future and I have the choice to select the stage. I’m not saying he couldn’t have beat me without the arena stage but I can say that from the way the matches were going on the ring out stage it certainly didn’t look like he was going to, and even if he did, it certainly would not have been the score it turned out to be. In the past I have often just picked anywhere or picked where I thought would be good for both players. Hehe, never again, VF is not for sportsman, VF is about number 1, and nothing else and I learned that from the man Homestay himself /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. RandomHajile

RandomHajile Well-Known Member

koolness, sounded really good,

what was the best combo you saw though???

and regarding changing stages, sounded like daigo changing from ryu to boxer to me!

and the liking girls remark was funny, you just have to lay it on the line, rags! if you ask me:)

didnt you play anything else??? no vf3TB??? no super T? and no tag???

3. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

Ryan OWNED!!! And quit that whining. Now go back to your room and cry me a river.

4. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the report Ryan! Sounds like you had bare fun, so Homestay really is that dam good! /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    just wondered who gives him trouble on the game so I asked Homestay who can beat him in Japan and he blatantly, without smiling said that NO ONE beats him.

[/ QUOTE ]
    ahahaha thats how he goes on! blatant! /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Now go back to your room and cry me a river.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm stealing that.. /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

btw, good report, it seems like america is really strong, i mean REALLY!!, i'm impressed with these results. i hope i can play you guys sometime and get my ass whooped.

6. Steptoe_Akira

Steptoe_Akira Well-Known Member

Oh shit, ryan travels the world like its the SF super turbo map..USA!!

Anyway, impressive stuff!!!

7. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

old garden/old shrine/old beach 4 life

8. AJQ

AJQ New Member

Whats "ARE'' ???

9. SlimTYME

SlimTYME Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    IronMike said:

Oh shit, ryan travels the world like its the SF super turbo map..USA!!

Anyway, impressive stuff!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

Also, concerning the women issue at the beginning, I know what you mean, the same thing happened to me last month. (I think the term is 'Prickteasing') Where are the women that dig VF? , now THAT's heaven.

It great to see Kage represented at a high level, he's always been my favourite character since Kyasao was on Gamesmaster on VF3 back in 1996, probably why I'm sill playing VF now.

Are any matches gonna be posted?

10. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

oh yeah, ryan. is ARE really that helpful?? i though it was just a more helpful ECD (of sort), how much disadvantage can it be activiated in etc, how does it really work? (in a nutshell)

11. 3of19

3of19 Well-Known Member

What's "ARE"? I'd use the search, but well, looking for "are" won't be very useful /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. RandomHajile

RandomHajile Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    BK__ said:

[ QUOTE ]
    Now go back to your room and cry me a river.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm stealing that.. /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

aRhhhh, dont copy him!!!
    iron mikes coment was better:)

ARE means soming like All Range Evade, soming to do with inputting kages modified[3][3][3]+[P], with an evade after a blocked throw counterable move (elbow) so you have advantage, prince and ryan teached me this months ago, kinda joke it was, i never heard of it, aparently the japs do it with kage all the time!

dont really see anyone doing it though, but i guess i wouldnt really know!, im sure teefing vanessa has it built in!!!

reagrding the results, its looks like ryan bruck them mans when he was in the usa:)
    but then again he is ill at the game!!!

13. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
  14. Tsuujin

Tsuujin Well-Known Member

Thank you Plague

Yes, matches will be posted.

My Akira did better than my Kage, I should have had a challenge with two Akira's then stage wouldn't have mattered. /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Oh well, never mind.

15. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    You're welcome.

I had trouble searching for that myself a few months back. I got that link from <font color="00AA00">Myke</font> after asking him about ARE and ATE. I was inspired to find out about it after reading the Hiro Akira documents.

16. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

yeah, i remember that thread now, thanks.

what is really really appealing is that it works at atleast -4! i cant believe it, this the answer to all of characters like goh, akira (etc) problems. especially somebody like goh with his crazy shlrm proporties and his exact -4 moves like df+p /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. (even deals with the nasty -4 on manz's low Ps)

thanks for the thread revival. thet fact that you use a CD to activate a low P is sheer genius, it's almost like the failed evade is cancelled directly with an FC attack. it's quite jarring that all of this can be buffered at the same time actually.

i'm also gonna run some tests on godeater's post.

17. Bibulus

Bibulus Well-Known Member

I want match vids SOOO bad now... must learn hardcore RO tactics

18. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    BK__ said:

yeah, i remember that thread now, thanks.

what is really really appealing is that it works at atleast -4! i cant believe it, this the answer to all of characters like goh, akira (etc) problems. especially somebody like goh with his crazy shlrm proporties and his exact -4 moves like df+p /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. (even deals with the nasty -4 on manz's low Ps)

thanks for the thread revival. thet fact that you use a CD to activate a low P is sheer genius, it's almost like the failed evade is cancelled directly with an FC attack. it's quite jarring that all of this can be buffered at the same time actually.

i'm also gonna run some tests on godeater's post.

[/ QUOTE ]

It must be really difficult to pull this off in a match situation though. I could do it in practice mode when I knew before luanching the move I was gonna do it (even then I had to be super fast), but in a match you have to wait and see whether your move gets blocked or hits/CH since on hit you could probabley force a nikatu situation yourself and don't wanna waste that. A players reactions would have to be dam good to make effective use of it.

You wouldn't need ARE on a blocked [2][P], fuzzy guard is a much easier alternative for that.

Do top JP players really use ARE alot (it's hard to pick out while watching a match when it looks like their just ducking and punching)? Id be suprised if they could keep using this in the big tourney matches, at last years KS final for instance both Heruru and Minami made simple mistakes they weren't making earlier and Homestay himself also seem to miss quite a few combos in his matches.

Another thing Id like to know, will ARE remain in FT and the rest of the series?

19. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

not all players ARE all the time (often)

but there are some exceptions

for example, one particular kage u'all been seeing in the recent acho vids (off the top of my head, cannot rememebr his name)...is particularly noted for his ARE skills...

ppl nicknamed him ' ARE king'

me n adam n danny didn't know he was ARE king until kyasao told us. The flip side of those few particular battles were...since I was struggling so much with the shibuya sticks, ARE kinda failed to work on me becos I was SOOO SLOW hahaha.

Oh, but ARE king had another weapon which made him unique...

I've never seen someone repeatedly nail a raising attacking with kage's knee! It was wonderful to see it happening so often with ARE king.

Actually, the scariest sorta players one can run into are those that constantly attack attack n attack

even if they are at -500000000000 , they go 'it's ok, I still have the advantage!

a.k.a Nuki, Dera Akira etc etc

20. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

In that thread posted they were saying that ARE could be beaten by circular and delayed moves. When I tested this in practice though ARE could get under high ciculars, the [2][P] part of it was activated instead of the evade (which only activates for linear attacks) and delayed attacks aren't guaranteed either since if your a little too late the [2][P] will hit you and if your even slightly early the evade will leave you wide open (the correct time frame is quite small). Throws obviously don't work at all. ARE seems a bit like the 2G technique in SC2 which apparently JP players refuse to use believing it to be detrimental to the game.

Despite being very difficult to do in matches it still seems like an overpowered technique with very few flaws. I wonder if it will remain in future VF's.