1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

sabaki & inashi

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by plUmber, Mar 27, 2002.

1. plUmber

plUmber Member

not sure if i should have posted this in the q&a forum...
    when i look at the movelists there are some moves listed under the term sabaki.the moves themselves are called inashi.i just dont understand the differenc?!i read the sabaki document but that did not help me much.
    a sabaki move is "normal" attack with a auto-reversal implemented, correct?so, does akira has a sabaki move?his 2 moves that are listed under sabaki are called inashi...i just dont understand.
    any help is welcome !! :))

2. Sausage Man

Sausage Man Active Member

Akira's d/f+P+K+G is a sabaki attack.

3. plUmber

plUmber Member

thx
    i still dont understand the differenc between sabaki & inashi

4. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Sabaki is a strike thats defeat oncoming attack and cause damage from the if the strike connects. You'll notice a scratching sound and a stagger-like animation from the opponent.

Inashi is a strike that parrys the oncoming attack without causing any damage.

Sabaki:
    Lions: QCB+P
    Lei Fei: QCF+P+K or [TG]P or [TG]K or [EV]P or [EV]P+K
    Sarah: P+K
    Akira: b+P+K+G

Inashi:
    Jacky/Van : Neutral
    Aoi's : Yin Yan stance

Reversal
    Lei's : [IN]stance for auto Punch reversal
    Akira/Aoi: b or db or d +PK

NOTE:
    A Sabaki that parries an oncoming attack does not guarantee damage. The strike has to hit.

5. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Try to think of inashi as more of a type of reversal, whereas sabaki is more of an attack (with preset priorities over certain attacks).

6. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Yeah, what Ice said.

Sabaki are attacks that have priority over certain other types of attacks and will deflect and hit thru those types of attacks. You'll hear the record scratch sound when that happens. Sabaki is a property of the attack. The attacks themselves are used like any other striking attacks.

Inashi is like a reversal except that inashi generally cause minimal damage and instead stagger your opponent to set them up for an additional combo. But be warned that most inashi staggers have no guaranteed follow ups.

Reversals do direct damage to your opponent and knock them to the ground.

7. Deniz

Deniz Well-Known Member

So shouldn't Sarah's P+K while in a Flamingo Stance be considered an inashi, not a sabaki, since it causes no damage? It's listed as a low punch sabaki on the move list... I'm confused.

8. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Yeah, Sarah's [FL]P+K vs. low punch is a weird one. It's used like an inashi (reversal) but it produces the sabaki record scratch when you do it at the right time. It's the exception to the rule I guess.

9. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

Akira's b+P+K+G is an inashi, regardless of sound scratching.

10. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

I agree, it is.

You get the same exact pushed on your butt animation when Sarah or Akira inashi a low punch. Oh well... I'm not going to be too firm about the name of this one.

As a side note, I've been having fun seeing how sabaki attacks affect turn away attacks... weirdness abounds.

11. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

hehe, gotta love how the character is suddenly turned towards their opponent with their attack going the opposite direction/versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

I've been seeing this a lot lately... hehe

-Chanchai

12. vf4akira

vf4akira Well-Known Member

Akira's b+p+k+g is a sabaki move. Same with Sarah's p+k while in Flamingo.

As far as I can tell, only Aoi has inashi moves. The other unusual inashi looking moves (Jacky/Vanessa neutral) are variations of reversal types (just like inashi is).

13. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

Akira takes off no damage. Its an attack deflection and which is why its called "inashi". I'm not going to go into a loop discussion over this as it is rather obvious.