1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

sabaki vs. low punch?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Yupa, Oct 24, 2001.

1. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

I've been mulling over the power of VF4 low punch... trying to think of other ways to fight so called low punch abusers.

What about sabaki attacks? The following are listed in virtuaproject.com's movelists as working against low punches:

Akira's df+P+K+G

Kage's f,b+K

Vanessa's [defensive system]db+P and [muy tai]d+P

AM2's golden boys always get the good stuff! :p

Has anyone experimented with the above enough to determine if sabaki will work against an opponent that tries to stop your rush by low punching you out of your next attack?

Unfortunately Pai's sabaki f,b+P isn't listed as capable of hitting thru low punches. It's only good vs. high punch/kick and mid punches/elbows. So it still doesn't help with Alucard's original problem of his Pai rush's f+P being stopped by a low punch... hmm...

--
    "VF is the resonance AND the wonder." GodEater

2. MADrox

MADrox Well-Known Member

just got done playing 4 hours with sta783, and theres a man that makes you aware of lowp.
    but one of the things i do notice is that low-p is good for getting people away from you. this is where it is powerfull. you go to low-stow or something and it tags you. best thing i figured if you're traped is to low punch back and it helps create a little subtle distance. this is where you do mid attack (i like jeffrey's knee, pai's cresent kick or just elbo).
    the distance i figure is key. you're close it gets you, you're arms length away, mid attack.
    also those trick attacks, like shun's d+k+g or f,f+k where they think low p will canel in coming attack, but some mid attack are missed by low attacks.
    Thats it so far,
    my pain right now also is wolf's f,f+p.
    that thing dodges so much crap.

eat-stino

__-___---____

3. alucard

alucard Well-Known Member

"...low punch back...", arrgh, noooooo! VF2 low punch wars
    are back.
    You're right, keeping a distance is important, go too close
    and you'll pay the price. But its easier said than done.
    *sigh*

4. jackybrothas

jackybrothas Well-Known Member

ok here's a repost....

ok here again is my response to low punches:::::

crouch punching/poking is a really good interrupting move when you are really close to your opponent.

but there are always ways out of it since it is now blocked high....(these ideas are from the test version)

1)dodge and do a midlevel attack or dodge attack<--- (tap u or down then all buttons)

2)dash back(from the looks of it dashing is much faster in vf4 than vf3 especially crouchdashing back/forward)

3)block high then counter with a stationary attack (e.g. blocking high on a crouch punch will push you back a little bit then do a midlevel attack that won't cause you to move forward (jerky's back plus kick, shun's kick plus guard, etc.) sorry the plus signs won't show up in the post.

4)do a hop attack.

5)crouch throw

6)if there's anymore you would like to add then please add cuz this is all i know ; )

i consider #1 and #4 a little risky.in #1 they can just poke you to set you up to do a dodge attack or dodge mid attack so they can block it and then counter with an attack or throw(depending on how far you are).#4 the same with #1 but it is still a guess if the hop attack is either mid or low.

remember to mix these tactics up so no one can determine how to counter you. it's always a guessing game to me! hehe ... i hope this helps : )

note*please correct me if im wrong, that way i'll learn even more* thank you

"How many people wanna kick some a$$!!?? i Do! i Do!..." Stroke 9

5. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Re: ok here's a repost....

Yeah, that was in the original thread that started this.

Can you comment on the above sabaki attacks? Are they in the test version? They probably have been fiddled with between the test and ver B anyways... I'm just curious to hear if they are another option as supposedly they'll brush aside the low punch and hit anyway...

As for me, I didn't mind the "low punch wars" in VF2, and I believe VF4 has more options to deal with it.

--
    "VF is the resonance AND the wonder." GodEater

6. jackybrothas

jackybrothas Well-Known Member

Re: ok here's a repost....

yes akira's sabaki is in the test version the one where he brings both arms out diagonally... i dunno if that is the one stated above but yea it is a really good move against high low punches and i also think elbow too....

i haven't had the chance to experiment on kage's sabaki but it seems to me the same thing with high punches but i am not so sure about low or elbow. haven't tested it out yet.

i dunno but it seems to me that most sabaki's deflect mostly punches but i dunno who and what priority it has if it will either deflect just high or to all punches including elbows...

"How many people wanna kick some a$$!!?? i Do! i Do!..." Stroke 9

7. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Kage's f,b+K

This is just too slow to go up against a d+P.

Vanessa's [defensive system]db+P and [muy tai]d+P

I can see these fast elbow attacks working against low punches. BTW, shouldn't that be Muay (not muy) Thai?

Anyhow, I'll test these out tonight and/or tomorrow night and let you know.

8. shoda clinic

shoda clinic Member

Moves you listed above sure does sabaki low punch.
    and in addition,

Akira's d/f+P+K+G sabaki high punch also

Kage's f,b+K sabaki low attacks

9. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Akira's sabaki...not inashi

Jackybrothas, I think you're referring to Akira's inashi type attack, called the Heaven Gun (b+P+K+G). This will inashi high kicks, high punches, low punches. You can follow up the Heaven Gun with a standing palm with b+P+K+G,f+P.

However, Akira also has a sabaki attack, the Standing Shoulder, df+P+K+G. This will sabaki (knock aside) high punches and low punches . It can be, and is often, followed by the Power Elbow: df+P+K+G,P.

The biggest difference between these two moves (besides their completely different animations) is that the Heaven GUn does no damage since it's an inashi...whereas the Standing Shoulder does 15 points of damage (the power elbow does 20).

cheers,

<font color=white>Llanfair</font color=white>
    [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://virtuaproject.com>virtuaproject</A>