1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Screen resolution of VF5 arcade cabinets?

Discussion in 'Arcade' started by Franz, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I see that some coin-op resellers have VF5 on sale and that, in general, we might get some machines in western arcades too.

this mad eme wonder if anybody is aware of the resolution at which the game is running on arcade machines, and what kind of displays they use...

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

2. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

I remember reading that they were HD lcd screens but I don't remember too much.

3. Throwmasta

Throwmasta Well-Known Member

Last I heard the game ran at 720p in Japanese arcades

4. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    No, the lindbergh hardware is basically a PC; if you look at the lindbergh manual, it outputs (among other things) WXGA, not 720p.

I don't know the native physical pixel resolution of the screens in lindbergh cabs, but considering that it is essentially impossible to find a native 720p display these days, I'd assume they're 1366x768 or thereabouts.

5. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

It's not 720p, I believe KoD is correct (1366x768) as I saw the operators booting the game up the other day.

6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking too. Thanks for the info. As KoD said, lindbergh is basically a PC and it makes a lot of sense to calculate things for 768 lines, 768 is a very binary friendy number, 720 is some shit made up by broadcasters in the mid 90s.

On another note, am I the only one thinking that widescreen is quite pointless for a fighting game? Most of the time you have two people standing about 1.5-2 meters far from each other. I think something close to a square works a lot better (like 4:3 or even 5:4), with 16:9 all the "space" behind the back of the fighters seems like a waste to me...

7. Throwmasta

I wasn't sure, but my statement was based on what I've read in an old thread on here somewhere. There was a debate on whether or not people should use the option to play VF5 on PS3 in 1080p, even though it's native resolution was 720p (not my words). I believe this resolution was mentioned for the arcade cabinets in the thread as well. I'll see if I can dig up the link.

8. Throwmasta

9. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

I think widescreen is a much better option for a game like VF5, especially since wall combos play a much bigger part compared to before. It helps you see the ring much better in widescreen.

10. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I think that the chances of the panel resolution of arcade cabinets being 1280x720 (aka 720p) is really low. 720p is a made-up format that came from the TV industry. You might have noticed that numbers like 768 and 1024 are always exponentiations of 2 or their sums. Have a look at them in binary:

768: 1100000000
    1024: 10000000000
    720: 1011010000

to my knowledge, 720 is a number uselessly complex to work with. Same goes for 1080. Note that, in general, the whole 16:9 thing is very binary unfriendly. It is very possible that the panel resolution of VF5 arcade cabinets is actually 1280x768 (16:9.6 ratio so still widescreen, but binaryish raster).

UPDATE:

KoD quotes the Lindbergh manual for specifications and the panel seems to be 1360x768. I don't see a reason why the board should not output the very same resolution thus mapping the panel 1:1.