1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Season 2 - Managing Online Lag and Network Issues

Discussion in 'VF Circuit' started by akai, Jul 20, 2013.

1. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    There will always be issues related to online lag and network issues with the VF Circuit. So instead of just complaining about it (...why pee in the punch bowl...thanks Dipstick for that line :p), how can we manage it to keep the angst/rage related to it down?

This is not a thread about eliminating online lag/network issues (it will always be an issue) but more on how to deal with it during the Circuit.

First, everyone should be considerate of fellow players and try to optimize your connection. Last section in the Rules and Guidelines thread.

Ideas that might be part of the rules for Season 2:
    1. Before Match Connection Test: before playing a match, the two players go through one test round together to get a feel for the connection. You can't fix the lag, but at least you will be aware of it before the actual match begins. After getting a feel, both players jump to their deaths to start the actual match.

2. Setting up a Player Database that Rates their Online Connection - experience a very good connection with the person? Feel lag playing against the person, but the lag is consistent? Lag spikes? This would be more work, but we could make a database so that people get a general idea of connection, well ahead of time.

3. Eliminating the online room mode format (PSN is for sure, thinking about XBL...)

Just some more random musings to get the Circuit running well next season...

Craigbot and EvenPit like this.
  2. EvenPit

EvenPit Well-Known Member Content Manager Eileen

I know people's connections are different I jsut want to suggest that players who know they are going to participate that night to please refresh, reset your routers and modems before hand, this seems to always help with the connection. And something that has worked for me is I use my mac to connect to my xbox which gives it sortof a wireless and wired connection? The Idea is I use the computer as a wifi adapter so it shows up wired connection on the xbox but is actually still wireless since my modem is way to far away from my xbox.

3. Craigbot

Craigbot Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Craigbot
    For me, I always used wired connection which is much better. It helps with the matches and less lag to deal with (although lag is there). I normally test my connection before I sign on to Xbox Live, so I know what I'm working with and how to improve on it.

4. kingo

kingo My bitch G0d3L is a scrub Content Manager Aoi

PSN:
    kingofvf5
    XBL:
    kingofvf4
    Kahn Rahn has some problems with his connection ( he can't play with some people ).
    For example, usually when I see him hosting, I see a crossed grey bar and can't join.
    However, yesterday, in a room we were able to play. The room was hosted by a third person.
    So I think in that particular case, can we play in room, especially if we are only 3 in the room, and it's xbl, not PSN.

5. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    In specific situations where a player can't play against another person through player mode, rank mode, or room mode, then the option of the 3 people in room to have someone host should be fine. Whatever is needed so that people can play their matches.

Craigbot and kingo like this.