1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Sega planning something soon for VF5...

Discussion in 'Arcade' started by Reno, Jul 9, 2009.

1. zakira

zakira Well-Known Member

Guys, it's obviously won't be anything that got to do with a console release since the announcement is from the arcade division. So as truesonic said better keep your expectations low so that you won't be dissapointed.

I think it's better for everyone here to occupy themselves with other fighting games. See what other fighting game you like next to VF and bury your self in it till bloody SEGA truly announce something in our advantage. Surely there are other good fighting games. Not as good as VF but the next thing to it at least.

To me it's BlazBlue right now. And I'm also waiting for T6 to be released (have few friends who play it but then again I'm a fighting otaku XD).

@quash; waiting & anticipating VF5R console announcement will burn you and make you hate the game more and more. So just chill out and take my advice.

2. quash

quash Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SuperVernier
    XBL:
    GUILTY GAIJIN
    i've already given vf up for blazblue. hell, i did that months ago.

still doesn't make the situation any less shitty.

3. SuperPanda

SuperPanda Well-Known Member

I actually thought about your questions, wondering how I could put my finger on what I was trying to explain. The best possible parallel I could imagine was VF == chess. UFC == game with dice.

Think of it this way: In chess, you have a set number of everything. Spaces, pieces, etc. Your opponent has a set number of everything as well.

In chess, when you make 1 move, your strategy is at least 3 steps ahead. By 3 steps I mean chains of A > B > C, B > B > C, C > A > B. How many "chains" you can think of is up to you.

So say, when you throw a move in VF, you're aware of the + and - frames, and you're aware of what options your opponent has, based on his character, because of your + or - frames.

So if you throw a move that is -9 block, and you know your opponent doesn't have anything that will touch you, you're safe and your next move is based on the number of frames and/or opponent's position, etc.

Because of this, you get to plan ahead, and plan thoroughly. Ex: if I'm up against Jeffry, I know he options A,B,C, etc. but he doesn't have much of an answer if I setup my B with A or C... etc.

With the UFC, because of the random factors brought by fully generated characters, you can't plan that far ahead. You have an overall gameplan, a strat based on your chars' strengths and weaknesses, but you can never rely on having frame-specific plans, because your opp's frames are not always specific (like a dice roll) - so the game leans more towards reactionary tactics, rather than planning detailed strats in advance.

As I said: there's nothing wrong with that, because it mimics the sport of MMA closer, but it limits your planning at the same time, because you can't create a decent detailed plan when there are too many random factors involved.

---

I probably explained that terribly, but I did ponder on your question, wondering what it was that I felt was different about the UFC game.

4. Griever

Griever Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Griever_PL
    Nah, wasn't described as bad as You think.

As far as I understood it, your general idea is that in VF all is relatively consistent when it comes to one's options during a match, while in UFC it's a lot more random, so it doesn't allow specific planning or thinking, only the general game/match plan.

Also, I don't want to be a dick, a troll, or anything, but... why are we even discussing it, when it clearly doesn't have anything to do with Sega planning something soon for VF5...?

Sooo... back to the topic? Hmmm? [​IMG]

5. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    Sorry Greiver, just a lil more [​IMG]

A good UFC player has yomi, and an unpredictable offense. Trends can be exploited. As far as randomness goes, I think it's for the better, because it isn't THAT random. A guy might have Sarah-type jabs, but he also is dishing sarah-type damage, or he might fatigue. Maybe that guy can't stand getting kicked in the legs, so his movement will bog down. The fun is figuring out these things, breaking opponents exposing opponents' tendencies and using them to your advantage.

It is a different game.

VF is more predictable, because it's a solid fighter. They are different games, with similarities. If you guys haven't heard, the developers of UFC have taken much influence from VF, even including VF terms in their tutorials.

Oh yeah... Quash do you think I'm qualified to talk about this topic, now that I've shown you the vegetable in VF? I might have to put some videos up of that for lulz

Not to nitpick, but don't attack out of -9... ever. I don't care who or what you're using [​IMG]

6. quash

quash Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SuperVernier
    XBL:
    GUILTY GAIJIN
    all i'm going to say is that while you are definitely good, there's better out there and i doubt many of them would consider themselves "masters" of vf as you have proclaimed to be.

and to keep the record straight, i said from the beginning i wasn't discounting that you were good or trying to imply that i would beat you at vf.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to nitpick, but don't attack out of -9... ever. I don't care who or what you're using [​IMG]
    </div></div>

(which we still need to play btw)

7. Cozby

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    I don't recall myself being a master, but, bottom line - you are unqualified to question my authority

8. SuperPanda

I agree. I was just trying to explain my statement. [​IMG]
    ---

Anyhow... it's do or die tomorrow (in Japan). Even if the game is coming out for 2010 or early 2011, it would be fine, as long as it is coming. *crosses fingers*

9. Jargen88

Jargen88 Well-Known Member

i dont know if anyone has thought of this but why doesn't someone from this site make a group on Facebook or something like "Fans of Virtua Fighter want VF5R port." We could join in and maybe show SEGA not only the Japanese love the game.

I dont know much about Facebook so i dont know how to start a group.. but some here probably knows how [​IMG]

10. CobiyukiOS

CobiyukiOS Well-Known Member

11. SuperPanda

It's 9am, Japan time, August 3rd. No announcement still.

12. Makatiel

Makatiel Well-Known Member

I attack with sabakis out of -9 all the time. In fact, I might even conjecture that the developers want me to attack out of -9 with Goh.

Back on topic, how awesome would it be if they announced VF6? Hahahah. That would be so great.

13. CobiyukiOS

CobiyukiOS Well-Known Member

Then there are still 15 hours to go. Maximum!

14. Cozby

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    What do you do when you get CH by a move you couldn't sabaki? I would hope you stop doing that, no need to eat massive damage for no reason

15. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

Sometimes attacking when you're -9 is the best option. If you have a high reward move that beats clash you will definitely make your opponent a bit more weary of throwing at +9 if he eats a launcher for it...

16. Terra

Terra Well-Known Member

Wait, they're going to announce something Monday? Who said that?

17. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

LOL!!!!

It was just bingo after all, oh and something about new friend benefits and new Opa-Opa items from VF4...

[​IMG]

18. Reno

Reno Well-Known Member

yeah... here's the rundown:

- Bingo Fest
    - Four God's War Campaign
    - Friend invites (you get Large orbs for introducing friends to VF.net)
    - New VF.net entries (you get bonuses for registering on VF.net for the first time)
    - Long-time user campaign (you get bonuses for using VF.net for an extended period of time... I got 200 medium orbs + 50,000gold for subscribing for so long...)

That's it... [​IMG]

19. Ash_Kaiser

Ash_Kaiser Marly you no good jabroni I make you humble... Bronze Supporter

Yay! Bing... no wait, not yay.

20. quash

quash Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SuperVernier
    XBL:
    GUILTY GAIJIN
    aoi lookin sexy in that picture.

but yeah, it's a sad day when we all make ironic joke predictions about what sega's going to announce and we all end up being right.

think i'm gonna go play some blazblue right now to help wane off my feelings of disappointment.