4Gamer, Tekken producer Katsuhiro Harada, and VF5US producer Seiji Aoki talks about a variety of topics related to past, present, and the future of Virtua Fighter. And yes there is a lengthy discussion related to netcode.
Here is a link to the 4Gamer article in Japanese. Depending on your browser, the article can be translated into a different language. Just note some aspects of the article may be misinterpreted in the translations. In addition, an excellent translation by gosokkyu through twitter. Main points of interest that I got from the article:
- According to Aoki Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown development began February 2020. Some conflicting information with the My Navi News interview, since Hiroyuki Miyazaki mentions September 2020 date as the start of the project.
- Harada mentions creating an international esports competition requires a strong connection within the community and sponsors. Aoki responded that within Japan and Asia it can be accomplished quickly. With Europe and United States, he mentions gradually working with the existing VF community in those regions "これから" (in quotations "from now on").
- Aoki considered AM2 and players feedback such that changes in the remake of Final Showdown graphics are not too dramatic. Ultimate Showdown hit effects were toned down based on an older VF player's opinion. Mentions issues between AM2 department "who knows Virtua more than anyone else" and the high technology department "that lacks a deep familiarity with Virtua." Amusingly, there was a lot of "it does not look like Akira..." comments.
- A longer discussion about netcode. This includes Sega of America asking Aoki's team to include rollback repeatedly. Differences between 2D and 3D games use of rollback netcode and why Aoki believed they chose the best option for Ultimate Showdown. He is aware of people without a good stable connection and is considering different options Sega can try to improve those players online experience.
- Harada reminisce that during the Sega Dreamcast era there was a possibility of Virtua Fighter x Tekken collaboration. He believed the idea likely failed since Tekken was associated with Sony while Sega had their own game console system.
- A hindrance for Virtua Fighter 6 to be made is the requirement of new "innovation" by some within Sega. VF2 had texture mapping, VF3 introduced uneven stages and lateral movement, VF4 had VF.net, and VF5 had VF.TV. If VF6 was approved to be made, there will be some new innovation and it will take at least 3 to 5 years.
Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!Dismiss Notice