1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Seiji Aoki Interview with Katsuhiro Harada on 4Gamer

Discussion in 'News' started by akai, Jul 7, 2021.

By akai on Jul 7, 2021 at 2:26 AM
  1. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    4Gamer, Tekken producer Katsuhiro Harada, and VF5US producer Seiji Aoki talks about a variety of topics related to past, present, and the future of Virtua Fighter. And yes there is a lengthy discussion related to netcode.

Here is a link to the 4Gamer article in Japanese. Depending on your browser, the article can be translated into a different language. Just note some aspects of the article may be misinterpreted in the translations. In addition, an excellent translation by gosokkyu through twitter. Main points of interest that I got from the article:

July701.jpg
    - According to Aoki Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown development began February 2020. Some conflicting information with the My Navi News interview, since Hiroyuki Miyazaki mentions September 2020 date as the start of the project.

- Harada mentions creating an international esports competition requires a strong connection within the community and sponsors. Aoki responded that within Japan and Asia it can be accomplished quickly. With Europe and United States, he mentions gradually working with the existing VF community in those regions "これから" (in quotations "from now on").

- Aoki considered AM2 and players feedback such that changes in the remake of Final Showdown graphics are not too dramatic. Ultimate Showdown hit effects were toned down based on an older VF player's opinion. Mentions issues between AM2 department "who knows Virtua more than anyone else" and the high technology department "that lacks a deep familiarity with Virtua." Amusingly, there was a lot of "it does not look like Akira..." comments.

- A longer discussion about netcode. This includes Sega of America asking Aoki's team to include rollback repeatedly. Differences between 2D and 3D games use of rollback netcode and why Aoki believed they chose the best option for Ultimate Showdown. He is aware of people without a good stable connection and is considering different options Sega can try to improve those players online experience.

- Harada reminisce that during the Sega Dreamcast era there was a possibility of Virtua Fighter x Tekken collaboration. He believed the idea likely failed since Tekken was associated with Sony while Sega had their own game console system.

- A hindrance for Virtua Fighter 6 to be made is the requirement of new "innovation" by some within Sega. VF2 had texture mapping, VF3 introduced uneven stages and lateral movement, VF4 had VF.net, and VF5 had VF.TV. If VF6 was approved to be made, there will be some new innovation and it will take at least 3 to 5 years.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    Chanchai, Shinobi, nou and 1 other person like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by akai, Jul 7, 2021.

1. OniwabanCL
      OniwabanCL
      I think the offline mode request will be solve. I don't remember if the "work in progress" section in the main menu will be use to update the game with a new offline mode.
      New stages or revamp old ones will be a cool idea and the customization items are being implemented with the new engine, right? I hope so

offline modes
      Customization
      Network patches
      New Animations

Those are the principal goals to maintain the game alive

Graphics updates/fix
      New Stages

It would be cool

New moves
      New characters

A dream ahahaha
      faster 10 lightning likes this.
    2. SSfox
      SSfox
      I hope they're already working on vf6. And while anything new to vf5us would be nice and welcome, but I think they should start shifting their focus on vf6, while for vf5us they will make some fix and bring some FS costumes, I mean some cool stuffs additions but that also don't tie hands of a whole project team if you see what I mean, I want VF6, it's time for vf6 I think.
      Sonic The Fighters likes this.