1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Seimitsu LS-32 or Sanwa JLF - Which is generally more preferred?

Discussion in 'Joysticks and Other Controllers' started by Junsuina Chikara, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Junsuina Chikara

Junsuina Chikara Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Jun_Chikara
    XBL:
    LeprekaunTM
    Hi all. I've been thinking a lot lately about switching back to the Sanwa JLF in my fight stick. I purchased the Seimitsu LS-32 since it was the stick used in the VF4 days and I've been using it now for a few months. In FS, I generally don't have any issues using the LS-32 but I'm not sure about pre-FS. I know that many will say "Just keep practicing with whatever joystick you're using, the fault is not in the joystick" etc. but I'm one who likes to use the best equipment in anything I do. So if VF is more suited to use with a JLF then I would use a JLF, if the LS-32 is more suited, than I would use the LS-32.

I'm paying particular attention to performing Akira's True DLC from the 2P side. After spending a long time in the dojo with the Input display on, I can tell that I'm registering 7 momentarily in between 1+K+G and 4+P. That 7 input is causing the second part (4+P) to mess up the DLC so I end up just getting 1+K+G. This got me thinking that because the LS-32 has shorter throw, the potential to make wrong inputs is larger than would be perhaps with the JLF since it has longer throw and inputs register slightly later.

So generally, what do people use? Sanwa JLF or Seimitsu LS-32? Or do you use an entirely different joystick altogether?

2. Pai~Chun

Pai~Chun Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    Currently using the Hori RAP VX SA, JLF, fairly long throw I guess, but OK for most moves I do with most chars. 33 on side 2 (ie 11) feels a bit odd for Aoi launcher, but I'm gettin' there. I actually thought most of the SEGA cabs over there went with Sanwa, and it was only really the 2D scrolling shooter stuff that had the tighter Seimitsu parts?

3. Guyjin

Guyjin Member

For SBO, the staff used to mention on the website which stick would be used for each game. Usually Capcom games used LS-32 and everything used JLF. Based on my understanding of the technical differences (basically the same as what you already said), LS-32 is good for games with circular motions and JLF is better for games where you need to be able to hit individual directions, particularly diagonals, without hitting adjacent directions by accident. Most 3D fighters fall into the latter category. Personally, I've never heard anyone say they prefer LS-32 for 3D fighters so far. Korean sticks enjoy a nice reputation with Tekken players though.

Chanchai, Kurt and capt_catalina like this.
  4. Seminasuke

Seminasuke Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Seminasuke
    As said many times, it's personal preference. JLF is most-commonly used for modern fighting games, but Seimitsu sticks also work just fine in my opinion. However, playing shooters with a JLF is suicide.

5. Guyjin

Guyjin Member

Anybody tried a Hori Hayabusa for VF? The engage is somewhere between LS-40 and LS-32, and the throw is about equal to LS-40. Like the JLF, the stock switches don't have levers. It's getting high marks for 2D games from stick enthusiasts, and the manufacturing/materials are allegedly superior to Seimitsu.

Chanchai likes this.
  6. oneida

oneida Long Arm of the Lau Silver Supporter

PSN:
    oneida_vf
    XBL:
    oneida1
    Installed mine last week.
    [​IMG]

Ask me how much I like it after SCR ;)

Chanchai likes this.
  7. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    I played VF tourney on it last year just before I switched for hitbox (my own stick got issues back then) and it was the best stick I ever used - by far. You just need to make some small adjustments, but then it is awesome (at least for me).
    If I will play on stick, I will have this one

8. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
  9. Guyjin

Guyjin Member

Cool. Any preliminary impressions compared to what you were using before? Unless you meant that you're not going to use it until after SCR.

Unicorn: Yeah, a lot of people are talking about it on SRK. I'm not really a fan of that review though. He doesn't go into the same depth as the threads in the tech section (and I hate the author's writing).

The reason I'm asking is because I've used a JLF for 10 years straight and I'd rather try something else now, but I don't want to get an LS-40 then realize that when I try to do something like 114 or 336 for Lau's instant WS K, a whole bunch of accidental quarter circle motions will be registered because that stick tends to be better for 2D games. Some people on SRK are saying that it's somewhat difficult to hit diagonals during circular motions on the Hayabusa. I figure that wouldn't be an issue with VF, and maybe even make it more suited for it. I'm not sure.

10. Pai~Chun

Pai~Chun Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    Yeah, I've been using the JLF for a long time now, not easy for 2D, but pretty sweet for VF. My understanding is this was the stock stick they used on the original VF5 cabs in Japan, and obviously what came inside the awesome VSHG, some years back.
    That new Hori hybrid does look nice though, I would like to try one of those, especially now I play a lot more of the cast in VF, some of whom rely more on 236 or 214 motions, like Shun Di or Eileen. It's not a cheap piece kit of in Europe though... time to start saving ;)

11. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

I find the bolded part to be the complete opposite. LS-32 has tighter inputs, while Sanwa JLF tend to have a lot of slop in the inputs, so you'll get cleaner directions with the Seimitsu. I prefer the LS-32 (once you've broken it in, which in my experience can actually take a while) a lot more but I've used both extensively.

I tested most Seimitsu and Sanwa models but find the models outside of LS-32 and JLF to not really cut it.

12. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

I've got Qanba Q4 which comes with JLF and for the last couple of weeks it's started randomly not registering one of the directions ([1]). The stick is barely one year old. Doesn't seem to be the most durable thing out there.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  13. oneida

oneida Long Arm of the Lau Silver Supporter

PSN:
    oneida_vf
    XBL:
    oneida1
    late follow up:
    back to JLF
    lol

14. capt_catalina

capt_catalina Well-Known Member

PSN:
    capt_catalina
    I enjoy the JLF for being very smooth in the pivot & being clean with the inputs. The throw and responsiveness were a little lacking for me, but after swapping the stock actuator with a KOWAL short throw model (purchased via focusattack.com), I'm pleased with how it works.

15. valenzuela000

valenzuela000 Well-Known Member

Yes, the Hori Hayabusa is amazing! Fast response, it returns to neutral real quick, throw is shorter than a JLF. The JLF feels sloppy compared to this joystick!

16. PurpGuy

PurpGuy Well-Known Member

XBL:
    PurpGuy
    I use a JLF with an octo gate. It's pretty decent for general purposes. If I were to start playing serious VF again I'd probably put the square gate back in.