1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

SF: SVGL Wednesday 2nd Jan

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by gribbly, Dec 29, 2001.

1. gribbly

gribbly Well-Known Member

Heya,

Slight change of plans -- I've found out where SVGL is, and it's a lot closer to San Jose than SF, right? We'll be arriving in San Jose Tuesday afternoon, so will be going in Tuesday afternoon/evening. This might synch up pretty well with you spotlite?

Hope to see meet up with some VFDCers then!

grib.

2. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    You'll be at SVGL wednesday? I had kind of thought I wouldn't go after you said you'd be back on wednesday...

I'm wondering who, aside from you and Yamcha will be around. I know Howard's away, and I think Feixa Q is, too. Who's down to play? It's a five hour drivr each way, so if it's gonna be just one day with a couple people, I'd rather come at another time.

Let me know who's there, then I can decide what's up ;).

Spotlite

3. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

I'll be back in SF on Dec 31 (Monday morning). Would definitely like to meet up with you guys! Give me a call on my mobile (check your PM for my mobile #) when you get in /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

4. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

Yeah I'll attend, although at the moment I don't know how long I'll be there. Yeah, I don't know, you might want to wait for a bigger crowd at another time, but whatever you wanna do is cool.

5. segaduck

segaduck Well-Known Member

I envy you guys!!!

I will go back to San Jose on Jan 23th, and wish that you guys will come again.

BTW, on the first day I went to the arcade center in Taiwan, in the first 3 games, I couldn't even win a single round!!! I was so surprised!!! No matter I used Lei-Fei or Jacky. I won only one time in 20 games, too bad.

I will go to the arcade center on Jan 1st, and record some movies if possible.

6. gribbly

Well, no matter what happens I'll be there Wednesday afternoon and probably evening. I think Yamcha was going to be around, and I'll call Feixaq on tuesday to confirm if he'll be around too. Would be great if you could come, otherwise we'll battle again at UCLA =]

Have a great new years everybody!

grib.

7. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

Wait a minute, you, Howard, couldn't win a single round? Damn, that's crazy. I'm heading to Taiwan at the end of January, looks like I won't have a chance in hell.

8. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Ouch, I can only imagine how good the Taiwanese players are... =P

9. segaduck

I will practice more to defeat them, damn.

I went to another arcade center and had a 12 wins. I believe that the strongest players in north Taiwan are all in the arcade center I went on first day, and I will go there more often to learn from them. BTW, you can check some high resolution pics of PS2 version VF4 here:

http://www.zdnet.co.jp/gamespot/ps2/vf4/index.html

See you guys.

10. akiralove

XBL:
    JTGC
    Finally, shots no one can argue with. I'm happy to see the card-style player icons at the bottom of the screen.

Well, since Howard has confirmed for all of us that we in the US are weak and behind, I figure I need all the practice I can get. I guess I'll try to come up for a day or two. I have to try and call my SF friends to see if I can stay somewhere...

If I come tommorow, are people down to play Tues, Wed, and/or Thursday?

Spotlite

11. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

I can play Tuesday for sure. Wednesday or Thursday evening is a definite possibility (but not both nights). Let me see if I can get Jason Cha, Akira and/or Don to meet up as well.

12. jackybrothas

jackybrothas Well-Known Member

i'll probably be there im not so sure though....... but most likely yea....

feixaq:::::::: hey!!!!! i hoped ya learned a thing or two from singapore!

segaduck:::::: .... damn......... just ... damn... i hope you can teach me some tricks from taiwan... hehe

13. akiralove

XBL:
    JTGC
    Well, looks like I might come tommorow. Can someone post directions to SVGL from major highways nearby?

I'll probably try to stay in some kind of hotel, my friends are out of town.

Most likely be there tommorow evening after 6-7 for first session.

I'll call you guys on your phones tommorow.

Spotlite

14. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

SVGL is at 855 East El Camino Real in Sunnyvale, California. I've posted driving directions below using both Expedia and maps.yahoo.com (assuming starting point = corner of Wilshire and Fairfax in West Hollywood).

The nearest motel is Best Western, quite literally just opposite SVGL so it's incredibly convenient (you can park your car at the motel and walk across the road to the arcade). Here's the motel info:

Best Western
    820 E. El Camino Real, Sunnyvale, California, United States, 94087
    408-245-2520 Fax: 408-736-9851

Give me a call midway through your journey up, and I'll make my way down to SVGL (takes me around 50mins to get there). Looking forward to meeting up with you and Cameron...

--- Chris

Expedia driving directions
    Start: Depart 6100 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA, 90048 on Wilshire Blvd (East) 1.3 0:03
    1: Bear LEFT (North) onto (S) Highland Ave 3.4 0:08
    2: Continue (North) on Ramp 0.1 0:01
    3: Continue (North) on US-101 [Hollywood Fwy] 3.4 0:05
    4: Continue (North) on SR-170 [Hollywood Fwy] 6.7 0:09
    5: Continue (North) on I-5 [Golden State Fwy] 250 3:52
    6: At I-5 SR-33 Exit, bear LEFT (West) onto SR-33 [SR-152] 2.6 0:04
    7: Continue (West) on SR-152 38.0 0:46
    8: Turn off onto Ramp 0.3 0:01
    9: Continue (West) on US-101 [SR-152] 35.9 0:39
    10: Continue (West) on Ramp 0.5 0:01
    11: Bear RIGHT (South) onto CR-G4 [San Tomas Expy] 2.1 0:03
    12: Turn RIGHT (West) onto SR-82 [El Camino Real] 2.6 0:04
    End: Arrive 855 E El Camino Real, Sunnyvale, CA, 94087 < 0.1 < 1min

Yahoo! driving directions
    1. Start out going West on BLACKBURN AVE towards S LA CIENEGA BLVD by turning right. 0.1
    2. Turn RIGHT onto S LA CIENEGA BLVD. 0.1
    3. Turn LEFT onto W 3RD ST. 0.4
    4. Turn LEFT onto S ROBERTSON BLVD. 0.1
    5. Turn RIGHT onto BURTON WAY. 0.9
    6. Stay straight to go onto S SANTA MONICA BLVD. 0.7
    7. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto WILSHIRE BLVD. 2.6
    8. Take the I-405 NORTH ramp towards SACRAMENTO. 0.3
    9. Merge onto I-405 N. 17.3
    10. I-405 N becomes I-5 N. 244.3
    11. Take the CA-152 WEST exit towards GILROY/HOLLISTER/SAN JOSE. 0.2
    12. Merge onto CA-152 W. 40.8
    13. Take the US-101 NORTH/CA-152 WEST ramp towards SAN JOSE. 0.3
    14. Merge onto CA-152 W. 1.0
    15. Stay straight to go onto US-101 N. 19.1
    16. Take CA-85 N towards CUPERTINO/MTN VIEW. 0.1
    17. Merge onto CA-85 N. 5.0
    18. Take CA-87 NORTH RAMP towards DOWNTOWN SAN JOSE. 0.9
    19. Merge onto CA-87 N. 4.3
    20. Take the I-280 exit. 0.2
    21. Merge onto I-280 NORTH RAMP. 0.7
    22. Merge onto I-280 N. 6.7
    23. Take the WOLFE ROAD exit. 0.2
    24. Keep RIGHT at the fork in the ramp. 0.1
    25. Merge onto N WOLFE RD. 1.4
    26. Turn LEFT onto E EL CAMINO REAL/CA-82 N. 0.3
    27. Turn LEFT onto MARIA LN. 0.0
    28. Turn LEFT onto E EL CAMINO REAL/CA-82 S. 0.1

15. akiralove

XBL:
    JTGC
    Had our first session last night with me, Yamcha and Feixa.

Lots of fun, nice to get to fight a strong Lei Fei, and Yamcha's Aoi and Jacky are tough. I didn't realize Vanessa's SE had so much range. Gonna spend a lot of time practicing today before people start showing up in afternoon/evening.

I hope Jackybrothers, Jason, Akira, and Don as well as other players can make it today or tommorow...

Spotlite

16. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Cameron, Brian,

Good to meet up with you guys! Had a great time playing last night. Hopefully I'll make it out to LA some time later this month to pay you guys a visit at UCLA. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

-- Chris

17. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

Agreed, good times were had by all. Hopefully we can do it more often.

18. segaduck

Taiwanese VF players are very strong, especially Jeffery.

Right now I can start to win "sometimes", and my winning ratio is about 15~20%. I found some very interesting new moves of Lei-Fei, and I will show you when I go back to San Jose.

Mmmm... I need more experience of playing against Taiwanese players.

19. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

I had a friend calling me from Taiwan..telling me how practically the whole gaming community of Taiwan is playing exclusively VF4 n almost nothing else..DEATH TO KOF HAHA!

Seems like the whole of Asia is drowned in VF madness..which is great, except I ain't back there yet.

Ahem...anyway...he's raving on abt Lei's combos..how effective Akira is etc etc etc etc etc...

As a test to see if he learned how to play the game or simply " learned the combos", I asked him if he knew what elbow->stagger-> throw was..
    He answered " WTF?"

I'm glad he's gonna bring back with him lotsa fancy moves..allowing me to leech whatever good stuff I can see ...

On the other hand, I'm also glad he still is the narrow minded combo fetish freak that he is...

I'm gonna roll out the red carpet n give him the royal treatment
    ELBOW STAGGER->THROW!!!
    Hop->splash mountain!!!!
    /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

20. gribbly

likewise, although I spent a lot of time getting badly smacked about by you guys :( Still, it was fun and it's nice to play a variety of people and characters. Can only make me better. I've barely played against Vanessa, so I'm a total sucker for the tricks of her trade!

I'm sure I'll be back up to play some more, and hope you can make it LA.

cam.