1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

SF3 second impact

Discussion in 'General' started by uk_kid, May 3, 2001.

1. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

just bought this great game and have taken to elena very much :)
    does anyone else know how i can develop my elena into an advanced elena? any tips regarding general SF3 stuff would be good too. does anyone even play SF3 here? which characters are the best in your opinions? :) VF3 matchups were mentioned a while ago (kage is good against wolf, blah, blah) - which SF3 matchups benefit which characters? the CPU's sean seems to be a pain in the ass for my elena...
    cheers...

2. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

I haven't played much second strike but have played alot of third strike. I also play alot of Elena but not very well. The only advice I can give you is use her spinning beat super usually after a c.short. Every once in a while double up on the c.short then super. My favorite thing to do with Elena is to dash in and taunt if you're close enough her taunt will pop them up for 1 hit point of damage if your opponents in the corner it will hit twice. Also abuse her f.forward and jumping round house pokes:) One more thing stay away from Hugo and don't under estimate Q.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

3. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

yeh, hugo can be a pain in the ass - i've discovered that already! THREE zangief-esque spinning piledrivers is ridiculous! :)
    one of my fave combos at the moment is u/f+HK, straight into f,d,d/f+HK+MK (elena). elena feels awesome because she uses capoeira but, unlike tekken's eddy, ISN'T too scrub friendly. i wish am2 would have included capoeira into VF4...
    anyways....thanks. any more SF fans out there?

4. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Chun Li is by far the strongest in the game...the creamy guy by far the worst.

5. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

hehe, too bad you don't have Chun Li in Second Impact/versus/images/icons/tongue.gif but that can be viewed as a good thing/versus/images/icons/smile.gif

There are a lot of differences between Third Strike and Second Impact. Ibuki and Sean are much stronger in Second Impact while Dudley is much better in Third Strike (I might be wrong about Dudley, but he's pretty damn good in 3s). Goes way beyond that.

Universal overheads in 2i are dd+P. In 3s it's MP+MK. Throws are done in the classic way in 2i while you press LP+LK (+f/b/n) in 3s to throw and to tech throws. Taunting in 3s is done by HP+HK while they also give you bonuses for doing them (attribute modifiers).

Graphically, 2i and New Generation (original SF3) sort of actually look "better" in some ways, but eventually I do prefer 3s' graphics. 3s has smaller characters too.

In the air, you can no longer modify your recovery from an air-parry in 3s, which you could do in New Generation and 2i. You can only parry by pressing forward in the air in 3s (2i was forward or down to modify your recovery).

2i is faster than 3s, but somehow the pace feels perfect to me in 3s (I'm very 3s biased). Controls are also a bit different to those that are sensitive to how controls are handled. In 2i, it feels closer to the alpha series for me, which as far as I can tell means that inputs are stricter. In 3s, inputs are a bit more lenient. I don't know how they compare, but at least in 3s, you want to time your combos perfectly in their execution because messing up in timing affords your opponent to break out of the combo with a super or some other moves (even parry in some cases). I don't know if this applies in 2i.

Some moves are drastically different (most obvious is Dudley's, he doesn't jump in the air and drill downward anymore, but now has a fake and counterattack move instead).

Chun Li and my main character, Makoto are in 3s among others.

I've heard that you can have some crazy combos in 2i. I know there are a lot of people who prefer 2i and a lot of people who prefer 3s. I've spent most of my time on 3s and I can at least say that I consider it to be an extremely solid game. I've also seen some amazing combos in 3s, but maybe I am just considering them amazing in the context of 3s (in that I know what is difficult to do with the engine--or have a feel for it).

Oh yeah, one BIG difference.... in New Generation and 2i, you can select which rounds you will use which super art. And the meter does not stay between rounds, it always goes back to zero. In 3s, you only get to choose one super art per match and your meter at the start of a round past the first is equal to what it was at the very end of the preceding round.

Some background info on the differences between the games, among many!

-Chanchai

6. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness!!!! Sorry, too brain damaged from my exam and too worried about my last one tomorrow...

7. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

ah.... and I thought I was brain damaged from my exam on Monday, two on Tuesday, and my big speech last night!!!! That and the 6 hours of sleep total between Sunday and Wednesday (4 + 2 hours) and more school pressure that keeps on coming.

Don't worry, I'm just being silly (though all those did happen). But what do you have to be sorry about and what are you too brain damaged for? Were you just surprised by the list of differences?

Good luck on tomorrow's exam/versus/images/icons/wink.gif

-Chanchai

8. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

yeah, im one of the few who prefers 2nd imapact, why? i just do. :p

bored sal,

<font color=red>PICCOLO</font color=red>

"When you're not training somebody else is training to kick your ass."

9. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

thanks chan. yeh, my mate used to be really annoying with chun li so i'm glad she's not in second impact :)
    (Well, not really, but still...)

i've been playing SI quite a bit since i got it (about 3 days ago). all these new and interesting characters and yet the (few) people i have played against still pick ryu and ken - tsk! i'm sticking with the lovely elena ;)
    in zero 3 i used to like ryu and gouki but ryu is too straight forward (read: good) and i don't think gouki is in second impact. i could be wrong.....(?)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by uk_kid on 05/04/01 08:05 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

10. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

he is in 2nd impact
    so too is gill
    finish the game once n u will get to use either one of them

Btw...subtle differences between 2nd impact n 3s(yet hardly mentioned)

Combos that are assured in 2nd impact *does not* always work in 3s...in some instances...they DO not work.

The parry system in 3s is hmmm..I find it a easier system than 2nd impact. (prolly the biggest diff)

In 2nd impact....Ibuki is almost assured a victory against shotos(that's my experience anyway), that's why they removed the rushing super she had in 2nd impact.

If u're a gouki fan...2nd impact is good for gouki.
    In 3s...he's pretty bah~

I must say...it's a good effort that u're using elena...
    takes heaps of skillz n brainwork to work around her.

JUST try n not to poke too much with her.
    As nice as her legs are, they're pretty much kinda easy to parry.

<font color=red>~~~SummErs' 'enemy SPODED, enemy DOWN~~~'

11. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

The biggest advice for Elena - take her healing super...it has to be one of the best supers for anyone. Her qcb+k is one, at least in my experince, better attacks. Her foward+medium kick is a good poke..people seem to not want to block it for some reason..
    Good combo...easy..but hey - jump in fierce kick into her flairs (reverse dragon punch with kick)

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu

12. Guest

Guest Guest

re:Elana

Elena is a VERY good char. I used her a great deal in SF3, and a bit in SF3:3S. Her qcb+k is very good, it can set up tons of stuff and is an overhead attack.

Great stuff to do is qcb+k, brave dance super or her other one, both connect great. It also connects to f,d,df+k.
    Her hcf+k has/had great initiative, it could go through hurricane kicks and the like easily and hcf+p(i think) is good for some close-up block dam in a pinch.

Because she has such range and variety in low kicks, you can easily intimadate people into crouching, making them easy targets for qcb+k and its many follow-ups. d+roundhouse is an extra-special sweep, it has huge range. Oh, and I think hcf+k hits crouching opponents, but I'm not sure.

13. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Re: re:Elana

LOVE HER WINNING POSE~~~~/versus/images/icons/wink.gif

<font color=red>~~~SummErs' 'enemy SPODED, enemy DOWN~~~'

14. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

Re: re:Elana

nice, Page - thanks.