1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

SG VF4 Tournament System: Review

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Genie47, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Genie47

Genie47 Well-Known Member

After reviewing through everything. How the seeding and elimination system went. It left much to be desired. Especially on the Final 8. We saw the elimination of 2 very good players. I would say the system used in the seeding round is rather good. One player (kiat) showed considerable efficiency (was it failure to adapt by his opponents /versus/images/icons/smile.gif ). He is a favorite.

After pouring through scenarios and stuff, I found out that if I had implemented a triple poule system for the final eight. The outcome will be very different. Hypothetically, it should look like this:

<pre>Poule 1

_(01)kiat____
    _____kiat_| |_SG-Lion__
    | |_(08)SG-Lion_| |
    __kiat?_| |_(1)alantan__
    | | _(05)skykeigo |
    | |_skykeigo_| |_alantan__|
    | |_(04)alantan_|
    | _SG-Lion__
    | |_(2)kiat?____
    |___________________________________kiat_____|

Poule 2

_(03)Wilson__
    __Wilson__| |_shundi_05
    | |(06)shundi_05| |
    danny13?| |_(3)shundi_05
    | | _(07)Wilde___ |
    | |_danny13__| |_Wilde____|
    | |_(02)danny13_|
    | _Wilde___
    | |_(4)danny13?_
    |____________________________________danny13?|

Poule 3

_(1)alantan__
    _alantan_| |_danny13?__
    | |_(4)danny13?_| |
    alantan?| |___1st
    | | _(2)kiat?____ |
    | |shundi_05| |_kiat?_____|
    | |_(3)shund_05_|
    | _3rd_______
    | |___2nd
    |__________________________________alantan?__|</pre>

All this is hypothetical. So for future tournaments, there will be a Seeding round followed by DE /w Repechage, then followed by 2 rounds of Poule to determine the final 4 and a Final Poule that will determine 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

So kiat's question of whether he gets a second chance. Yes, but in the next tournament /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

I welcome any comments on this proposed system.

2. Tetra

Tetra Well-Known Member

erm i got a question.... i think alan said abt this too. he fought skyeigo 3 times? and i had to fight the stupid old man twice. And i don't get to even fight a couple of pple /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

imo, playing with each and everyone would be much more fun than fighting the same person over and over......... skyeigo vs alan = rematch x3?

3. Genie47

Actually. In the seeding round, you get to fight with everyone once. In the repechage round, you cannot fight with the same person from the previous round (1st DE round). Somehow I have to work on swapping players, I think I forgot about this. Referee kayu on this one /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

No more swaps are allowed in the final 8 or rather in the new system, final 2 x 4. Ditto for the final 4.

In the next tournament, if you have realised that you are going to fight the same person in the repechage round. Tell me, if records prove you to be right, a swap will be made. Let's work to get the system right.

4. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

does this mean that there will be a tournament coming soon??? hurray!! how about in 2 weeks time /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

5. Tetra

Tetra Well-Known Member

ermmmmmm. i played with everyone in my pool but not the other pool..... is tat supposed to be correct?

cos i never get to play with littlewild, alan, my bro, kiat and some others( they are in pool1).

6. skykeigo

skykeigo Member

indeed i fought wif alan 3 time but it seems that i don't have a choice, well i dun mind actually, it would be a chance for me to beat him

i won him in the 1st pool, but it seems like i wasn't performing in the second round when he have the machine gun on his back haha, tat giv me pressure /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif
    but the 3rd match is realli......a waste, if i was rite, he won me 3-2
    his vanessa is indeed gd, but it seems like there should be a way! i am figuring out

7. Rulakir

Rulakir Well-Known Member

What I didn't get was why we didn't use the Seeding system in the repechage rounds ? You explained it to me that day, but I forgot... /versus/images/icons/blush.gif

It would seem like a better gauge of overall ability rather than luck wouldn't it ? But of course, the pressure is not as intensive in comparison....

8. Genie47

The seeding is designed in such a way to determine who is the weakest link /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

The 1st round DE if you see clearly is to eliminate players who score weakly in the Seeding. If we had 16 players, 1st seed kiat would have met 16th seed "nobody" and killed him right off. Since we have 12, kiat's match for the 1st round DE is a walkover. Same with danny13 and Wilson.

As for the repechage, it gives the underdogs a little chance and also the better players to unleash their full fury to get rid of the pesky lucky ones /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Under new system, the Poule (pronounced as POOL-Leh) is designed to be a repechage of some kind and also to determine 1st, 2nd, 3rd for the the final poule.

9. Genie47

I would have just returned from Perth. Too soon.

10. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Genie, just a quick suggestion regarding seed results. With the 2 pools, it would be better IMO if you alternated the seeding based on which pool each player came from.

Your original seed results (P1 and P2 are the 2 pools)
    P2 1. kiat
    P1 2. shundi_05
    P1 3. Wilson
    P1 4. danny13
    P2 5. Wilde
    P1 6. Rulakir
    P2 7. alantan
    P2 8. Littlewild
    P2 9. Myke
    P2 10. skykeigo
    P1 11. Taiwei
    P1 12. SG-Lion

If I was running the tournament, I would have ended up with:
    P2 1. kiat
    P1 2. shundi_05
    P2 3. Wilde
    P1 4. Wilson
    P2 5. alantan
    P1 6. danny13
    P2 7. Littlewild
    P1 8. Rulakir
    P2 9. Myke
    P1 10. Taiwei
    P2 11. skykeigo
    P1 12. SG-Lion

This way players are guaranteed to have their first match in the elimination phase vs. someone they haven't seen before during the round robin part. This will help a little with the variety of competition problem that some of your guests were complaining about.

Re: Kiat upset by SG-Lion
    It's a fact of life that upsets happen in tournaments such as these. Ask a Sweedish hockey fan... This is why we've promoted the use of a double elimination style tournament. You have to lose twice before you're eliminated from the prize.