1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Shadowblade Stick: tested and here's the results

Discussion in 'Console' started by YuniYoshi, Mar 21, 2002.

1. YuniYoshi

YuniYoshi Well-Known Member

I know this thing sucks but I just got it in the mail and thought I'd do a little combo video to show you guys what it is capable of. Keep in mind it took me almost an hour to get used to this horrid joystick.

Link to combo video:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tbi.net/~jody/sbladecombo.mpg>Capcom vs SNK 2 combo using Shadowblade</a>

I will make a virtua fighter 4 video tomorrow using this thing if
    anyone is interested. (getting the game tomorrow)

Picture of the joystick:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tbi.net/~jody/shadowblade.jpg>Shadowblade Joystick</a>

2. YuniYoshi

All in all I would give this joystick a 6/10

The quality itself is there but the square joystick notch inside
    (INSTEAD OF ROUND!?) and the difficulty of use drags down
    the score considerably.

Its not impossible to use, and I think one could become quite good with it, but it just makes things way harder than they need to be.

3. Shazam76

Shazam76 New Member

I bought one at Electronics Boutique for $29.99. It really sucked. It didn't feel like an authentic arcade stick at all. I'm going to be building my own. Once I get it/them done I'll write in with my results. By the way, this is my first post to this board so, Hello, all.

4. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    This may sound mean, but that scrubby a-groove combo is hardly a benchmark for Joystick testing and is about as ugly as the stick itself.

If this doesn't convince everyone to stay away from the stick, then I don't know what will.

And please don't start another thread on the Shadowblade joystick again.

5. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I should give you an immediate warning right now that the area of movement in Japanese style sticks are almost always square. This is for your information ahead of time so it doesn't become a shock, but honestly, I really do like the square area of movement, regardless of what game I play that originally implemented arcade controls.

However, that aside, Shadowblade is a stick I would definitely not recommend.

-Chanchai

6. Enkindu

Enkindu Well-Known Member

You did that combo after an hour of using that joystick? Look's like 2 different combos to me. What was f+mp suposed to do? You scare me sir.

7. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

Despite the controversy combo vid and his first few posts, I still am genuinely interested in hearing what people have to say about the shadowblade sticks. Please do another round of review when TK4 stick is out in the next week.

It just saddens me though that shadowblade is perhaps the only readily available joystick in the US market. I, for one, had no access to the joystick until Kageh came to my rescue recently.

Well...since Lau is my primary character, I really shouldn't be complaining about the command input though.

8. YuniYoshi

Rest assured, this joystick does suck. And yes, that scrubby combo is the result of hours spent with this joystick. I hate this thing but I will definitely do some combo videos when the Tekken 4 stick arrives to my home. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

9. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

The square base is standard to japanese style sticks. DB, you're T4 stick will be the same. The best way to use them IMO is to not move the stick to its extreme points of motion. Only move it about half way. I find the japanese style stick much more precise than the circular style north american sticks, especially when using the above technique.