1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Shaking that Goh feeling.

Discussion in 'Goh' started by Stl_Tim, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Stl_Tim

Stl_Tim Well-Known Member

Recently, I've tried to understand goh's guard breaks/staggers and how to recover properly, but seems impossible online. I've matched it to CPU fastest recovery and they can pull it off, but its still a no go here for me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember you should only shake stagger in the red part of the animation which is the second part of its animation. By this time, it's way to late to shake, so I try to buffer. Does this penalize you for early buffer? If not, what's the point of when to shake and when you shouldn't? I would just assume shake the entire time if there is no penalty.
    Having said that, I am eating 65-80pt combos from this problem and wondering if its latency or just a super tiny window to shake? Also, what's up with the shake animation for 3kp? Is natural combos unshakable? If so, what's the point of the animation?
    I guess my question is, "what are your experiences with shaking staggers?"
    Thanks

2. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    Yes, only the part where the wiggling joystick turns red is the window where you need to struggle (I call "shake stagger" struggling) the stagger off, but you shouldn't try to time your struggling strictly to that part but to start immediately when you notice you've been staggered. The game doesn't penalize you for starting to struggle early or anything, on the contrary, if you have fast reflexes and react to the stagger quickly, it means you have a better chance to struggle the stagger and not eat followups.

About Goh's stagger moves, you can't struggle 3KP if it hits you crouching or CH, there's not enough time to avoid the P. Struggling 46P after charged 4P+K is also pretty fucking hard, so don't feel bad if you eat followups from these two staggering moves. Shoulder ram, however, is pretty easy to struggle so that you won't eat even fast followups like PK, but you still gots to train it. Another thing to remember about staggers is that even if you would be the world's best struggler, almost all staggers guarantee at least a throw attempt for the attacker afterwards.

3. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
  4. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    Just to add that the stagger causes the [P] to bound for a bigger combo. Normal hit [3][K][P] does not bound.

5. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

There's no buffering for stagger's. The green stick is there just to give you a heads up that you're in for a struggle. All of the actual struggling happens during the red phase.

Getting out of 4P+K charge into 46P took 5 inputs if memory serves from the drill thread. There's no way in hell you're getting out if you're just trying to spin the stick or wiggle it left and right. Time it right and do something like piano K~P~G (hold G) while punching in a couple of directions. Or some such combination. Quite easily one of the hardest escapable staggers in the game.

As for 3K,P the stagger is there, like Shag said, because that's what allows the follow-up to float.

6. Stl_Tim

Stl_Tim Well-Known Member

Thanks for the fast replys everyone. It seems it was the circular 720 first was the key after all. I was taught from past vf's to shake differently, but maybe it has always been this way? I find it strange you can't do everything at once i.e. hold guard>spin 360 motion>tapping rhythmic p,k. Also, big shout out chief for the great find.

7. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

We made Flash try it after realising the 2f window was so tight to struggle, I still can't do it :(

8. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Tapping just P and K won't be enough. Gotta get that G in there too. I can still do it. :cool: