1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Shaolin Soccer!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Bu_Jessoom, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Bu_Jessoom

Bu_Jessoom Well-Known Member

It's already far into the World Cup, and soccer fans couldn't be happier (Or sadder?) with the surprises the cup has brought so far. How about some spices to our beloved soccer game?

Today I decided to pop in a video tape of a hong kong movie called "Shaolin Soccer" in our VCR and see what is it about. I got a clip in one of the e-mails I got a couple of weeks ago showing a girl doing a double palm on her car to park in a tight spot! Asking around introduced me to this movie the clip was taken from: Shaolin Soccer... I borrowed it but didn't feel like seeing it until today, and I must say I am delighted that I finally saw it.

Think Live action Tsubasa! People in America might not know much about the Tsubasa Soccer anime, but I believe it's well known in Asia and pretty much all places where soccer is popular. The anime presented rivalry, sportmanship, and a couple of special signature moves for players to add to the fun. And here is where Shaolin Soccer kicks in...

It's basically about people who apply Shaolin in their soccer matches, and you can just imagine what they can come up with in form of shoots, saves, and the like... Even Tsubasa and company couldn't come close, seriously.....

Also, the movie, with all the special effects and all, is just HILLARIOUS... Yet you get used to it and suddenly it's not so weird when the team reaches the final match. I am not gonna mention any details about it, but give it a shot if you want a good laugh, if you liked and watched Tsubasa, or even if you are a soccer fan in general. I just loved the movie.

For people who saw it, can you reccomend similar hong kong movies with the same twists and all?? /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

2. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

>Today I decided to pop in a video tape of a hong kong movie called "Shaolin Soccer" in our VCR and see what is it about.......It's basically about people who apply Shaolin in their soccer matches.

You couldn't guess that from the title? /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

3. Bu_Jessoom

Hehe, I hope you're kidding; of course I knew what it was about... By '' To see what it's about " I meant "to check it out" or so... I would say that it was a literal translation from my local language to English... /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

The following statement (After the comma) was to explain how Shaolin Soccer would resemble Tsubasa with special moves and effects when Shaolin is used... /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

4. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

I meant no offence /versus/images/icons/cool.gif

5. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

i kinda wanted to see this stuff too; i just heard about it from my friends, they were saying stuff about how one guy was breakdance kicking much like eddy gordo of TTT and the ball was being rotated between his feet with the motions as he was doing it.

now if THAT happened during during the World Cup... oh man! /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

6. Bu_Jessoom

Yeah you get to see many similar interesting things in the movie, check it out if you can. Even tackles and dribbles are insane (4 men tackle, lotsa-spinning kicks, etc..). /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

Uk-kid : I know that you meant no offense /versus/images/icons/grin.gif , and I wasn't serious too .

In the beginning of the movie there is a scene where a walking girl steps on a banana peel and slips. Then the 'hero' explains how a Shaolin Master would deal with such an incident.... Funny stuff /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

7. Kali

Kali Well-Known Member

It's really outstanding movie! For those, who didn't see it yet - think of mix-up of Tsubasa, Matrix and.. Final Fantasy summons (the Demon Shot:).

8. cooks94

cooks94 Well-Known Member

Shaolin soccer is one of the best movies ever!! so funny. and it has soccer!! specially 6th "little" brother and his eggs....... ahhhh good times. i could beat evil team anyday!

9. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

To quickly add to the benefit of our non-Asian readers, Shaolin Soccer was a HUGE hit in Asia. Huge...like one of the best selling movies of all time in Hong Kong or something.

10. Bu_Jessoom

I think I heard (and am Glad) it was a success; the effects are well done and fun to watch, and overall it's a wonderfull experience.

I heard that it was criticized at CNN though at the time of it's release for making fun of soccer or something, not sure if it's true though. I personally see no problems with it whatsoever /versus/images/icons/smile.gif