1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Shenmue III General Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by MadeManG74, Oct 2, 2019.

1. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

It's finally happening! Hard to believe after all this time that Yu Suzuki's passion project is finally getting a sequel.
    Anyone else get to play the demo? Looking forward to the release?

As for the demo, some quick notes while I've been playing it;
    Just started playing the Shenmue III Demo. The music at the title screen already sent waves of nostalgia down my spine! The music in game is even better!

Amazing to see items like the myterious White Leaf still in the inventory! Along with the pictures from the previous games. Wish they found a way to integrate the HD edition saves, but it's nice to have some throwbacks at least.

Love the wood chopping mini game, the music changes when you get a 'chain' is great!

Voice acting feels like Shenmue 1 English release.

Combat feels bad, but apparently demo is set to 'Auto' mode? If they can make it play like S1 & 2 I'll be satisfied.
    Not sure how I feel about the food aspect for refilling health.

I think there's potential for it to be something really great, and it definitely has retained a lot of the 'feel' of Shenmue with things like the character interaction, unique characters and atmospheric things like day/night changes.

@Myke i know you were keen on this game, have you got the demo by any chance?

ICHIBANin10000 likes this.
  2. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

The actual game is coming out soon.
    I can't wait too see it. Hopefully, it's is a worthy sequel.

Sonic The Fighters likes this.
  3. Sonic The Fighters

Sonic The Fighters Well-Known Member

I've just pre-ordered the game :love:

4. ICHIBANin10000

ICHIBANin10000 Well-Known Member

First of all salute to Mademan for being a fellow $100 backer of the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter. As for the combat, I can understand the changes but not condone them. As fun as the direction/button command moves were in Shenmue 1 and 2, even the the hardcore gamer purists in me is given pause at the choice to make the directional comand inputs flip on their axis from horizontal to verticle whenever Ryo is facing north or south.

Even back in 1999 on import Shenmue, as much as I adapted to the left right command inputs become up-down, I found that design choice questionable. Over the years I would always play the 70 man battle bonus mode consistently to improve my finish time. Around 2013 I started using a dreamcast arcade stick in that mode to make the "axis flip" less obstructive to the flow of combat. I'll be damned, it was much easier and that infamous "Shadow Step" move was actually possible to execute while fighting a mob. That Shadow step was damn near impossible on the clunky Dreamcast pad.
    I could actually throw escape the final boss in that mode while using a stick, another thing I could never pull off with a pad.

My point is , as epic and awesome as the fighting engine was in Shenmue 1 & 2, its damning that half the moves are near impossible(or inconveniently difficult) without an arcade stick . Since the game is supposed to be a 3rd person action game, it's not a good look.
    The demo combat is ok, but unfinished. There are no throws in the backer trial, and since Ryo is a Juijitsu expert, that means you are obstensibly fighting through the trial with one arm tied behind your back. If you get counterhit, you get clobbered for 25% or your lifebar. There is no more regenerating combat in S3, so you have to play cagey and keep your distance. The cool new counterhit animations on opponents are a nice touch. After the counter hit you can flank and keep okizeme pressure on your opponent. Thats basically all the backer trial combat boils down to, since the throws are not implemented yet , I cant pass judgement on it. In the demo you are forced to play chicken with the enemy to fish for counterhits.

In the final game, there have to be directional commands included in the throws, at least, because Ryo always had more throws than a Virtua Fighter character . While I prefer the old Shenmue mode of combat, the button focused version of Shenmue 3 suits a third person action game better, and n00bs can just button mash and accidentally pull off a cool move (cough) "Tekken"(cough).

5. Sonic The Fighters

Shenmue 3 combat system gots nerfed because the 2020 new kids are free.

Yu Suzuki sama saids now he will save the true Kung Fu gameplay for the real men and VF6.

6. beanboy

I hope he really does that.
    If he doesn't, then that would suck.

7. Sonic The Fighters

I've seen a bit videos of Shenmue 3, i'm a little disapointed...

It seems the game still lacks of budget and polish (a lot).

Well, i'll see more about that with Shenmue 3 on my screen and the controller in my hand.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  8. beanboy

Yep. It is always better, to play the game and see for yourself, if the game is any good.

Okay. So I watched some footage of the game on GameXplain. The graphics look really pretty. I saw a scene with Ryo, talking to some friendly strong fat dude, who teaches tai chi to kids in the village. Now I want to see more.:D

9. MadeManG74

It's interesting you used a stick, I've never done that! I bet it feels good, considering the heritage of Shenmue is Virtua Fighter. I personally never had much problem with the directional inputs, but it did take a mind-shift to think instead of '66P' it's got to be 'towards towards P'.

Unfortunately though, Shenmue 3 will not have throws at all :(
    That wasn't just a backer demo thing, I'm pretty sure they are not going to be in the game at all.

It got nerfed because the budget for the game is minuscule. Simple as that.

Again to my point earlier, this game has a super low budget for what it is. It's quite impressive what they managed to pull off in fact.

Yeah! That guy is cool, I saw him in the demo teaching the kids. I love that the characters in this game seem to have retained the personality and unique look that everyone had in Shenmue 1 & 2 despite the engine and graphics jump.

10. Sonic The Fighters

I know it's the budget for the combat system lol.

I'm sad for Shenmue, i fear for a Shenmue 4 sequel, and i think that the future of Virtua Fighter is even darker now.

beanboy likes this.
  11. MadeManG74

Virtua Fighter and Shenmue aren't linked in terms of success and failure. Don't forget that Virtua Fighter was a screaming success and helped cover Shenmue's budget.

I think Shenmue 4 would be a lot easier than 3 at this point, considering they now have the engine and assets, and Epic Games Store probably paid most of the budget with their exclusivity deal.

12. Sonic The Fighters

I am a massive fan of Shenmue (of course i prefer a bit VF).

But i'm honest, Shenmue 3 is a complete failure and a very bad game. I mean it's litteraly the Sonic 2006 of Shenmue.

If they could, i think that SEGA would have shuted down this game before it releases.

Shenmue 3 is nowhere, not even 1% as good and deep as Shenmue 1-2.

Great decision again from SEGA ! This game has just ruined the aura or the prestige of one of the most legendary IP of all time (of video game history).

I don't even want to think about 4 with a Shenmue 3 in this state.

They have to fix that big piece of yonk wich represents that game named "Shenmue" 3 before anything.

Holy shit thats fucked up, you can ruin any games but not Shenmue and Virtua Fighter.

Seeing Shenmue like that, i just can't take it.

13. Sonic The Fighters

MadeMan, look at this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wr-k67UYRk&feature=youtu.be (not my video, i'm not German lol.)

Yes maybe the first time it's funny...

But It's unacceptable. It's Shenmue !

And i don't care of "the budget". You just don't release a (Shenmue or SEGA) game in this state.

Awful management !

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  14. MadeManG74

Can you please be more specific about what you don't like?
    That video seems fine to me, that lady is meant to be senile and hard of hearing from what I gather.

ALSO: I've renamed the thread to be a general Shenmue 3 discussion :)

15. Sonic The Fighters

Dude you trolling, the game feels like an amateur game that you can download for free on the internet.

It feels dead and bland, this game is no way like Shenmue 1-2.

It's a very low version of a Shenmue game.

faces and animations are even better in the 18-20 years old games...

Man the faces in Shenmue 3 look like they have been made by young trainees.

Feels cheap af and like a homeless Shenmue game, whatever what people will say but 3 has not truly the soul of 1-2.

16. MadeManG74

It was made on a dirt poor budget, I don't know what you were expecting.

The environments and music are absolutely beautiful by the way, I don't think you'd disagree with me on that front, and that's amongst the most important thing.
    The faces look a bit strange, but I prefer having strange faces with lots of character like the old games rather than 'generic' or 'off the shelf' looking faces that look more life-like.

17. Sonic The Fighters

What ? In Shenmue 3 absolutely all the no cake characters are 100% generic !

In old Shenmues, every characters that you meet feel more unique and realistic, more credible.

If i want to act like a fanboy, at least they have to fix all the faces and some animations. Then i would just say "it's an ok game", it's just less good than Shenmue 1-2, but budget blabla...

Shenmue 3 in this state is unacceptable.

Yu Suzuki, 4 years of development for that really ?

A lot of ID developers would make better faces and animations in 4 years.

Example, The Witcher 2 or Hellblade have the same budget of Shenmue 3.

This game is just a shame for Shenmue, imagine if that shit happened to VF ?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  18. Sonic The Fighters

And yes music is good... And apart from the random characters, the art style is quite good too.

But man these faces are horrendous !

Also the staging is less good, i mean everything is much worse in Shenmue 3 lol.

They have to patch and fix a lot of stuff !

19. Sonic The Fighters

Dude that guy just did all the job to me lol :

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/168657-shenmue-iii/78182928

For me, this is real Shenmue :

This feeling is absolutely everywhere in Shenmue 1-2, now try to find this same magic in "Shenmue" 3 and then we talk.

All that hype and media propaganda for that shit, to ruin a legendary SEGA IP ? What ?

rip 1999-2019

20. Sonic The Fighters

Oh man that guy from gamefaqs just gots wrecked and deleted...

Stupid fanboys. I knew i had to copy paste !

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019