1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Shenmue III General Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by MadeManG74, Oct 2, 2019.

1. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Edit your posts instead of multi-posting, please.

Quite impressive that Witcher 2 had a budget of $10m or so! Then again, the have access to Slav techromancers that is CDProjekt, not a rag-tag bunch of dudes like YSNet.

I don't see how Shenmue 1 and 2 characters are any more 'unique' than the cast in Shenmue 3 I've encountered. I like the faces, even if they look janky, especially because they do look unique and full of character. More so than the randomly generated generic NPCs in most games.

Staging? Do you mean the environments.

If you're going to talk about abstract concepts like 'magic' or 'feel' then it's not really an objective thing we can talk about. I've only played a couple hours of the game so far, so I'll report back after this weekend!

2. Sonic The Fighters

Sonic The Fighters Well-Known Member

Dude you really like all these potatoes faces of the random characters that you meet in Shenmue 3 ? XD

Potatoe face is unacceptable in 2019 ! by Yu Suzuki ! in Shenmue !

Even VF2 sometimes has better faces than that, come on man !

They have to fix some animations, and the camera while the dialogs.

3. MadeManG74

Define 'potato face'.
    And I don't particularly like them, but I think for a low budget game I like them better than generic looking faces they could have done. I mean how sometimes you'll see the same person appear several times as an NPC, whereas in Shenmue III at least everyone looks distinctly different and recognisable.

4. ICHIBANin10000

ICHIBANin10000 Well-Known Member

Dude, did you actually play Shenmue 1 and 2 or did you just pirate it and play it on your Iphone. You talk like you have no clue what Shenmue is actually like, and just jumped on the bandwagon recently.

Shenmue 3 is 100 percent in the spirit of Shenmue 1 and 2, with an HD facelift. As for the characters faces, look at the previous games, they are cartoonish caricatures just like this game. Now they have bump mapping and several rendering passes of shading. My only concern is the lack of throws in the combat.

Spoiler alert:

It looks like Ryo might actually learn a throw from one of the Kung Fu masters. Its Like Checkovs gun, it gets used on him and named in the first act, it will most likely show up again in the third act when he learns it. Yunen Nihaidaho!
    *****End Spoiler*********************
    One yes maybe new throws were not in the budget to develop and implement, but it looks like the old throws just got their move inputs cannabalised by the simplified move input system. Maybe they can map throws to the thumbsticks in Shenmue 4, imitating the Twinstick commands of Virtual On for multiple throws. That would be awesome. Im having fun with the game as it is.

The counterhit physics are awesome, the vistas are beautiful, the skybox is more animated and realistic than ever. The tank controls are gone , the movement is fluid. Food management and the lifebar system is great. The music puts big budget games to shame . Looking at you, Horizon Days Gone and Yakuza. Listening to the current crap music of Final Showdown I get depressed thinking whatever happened to great arcade music. Apparently those great game music composers of old work for YS net, because Shenmue III's soundtrack is phenomenal .

Since it was revealed way back in the Kickstarter campaign that you would be able to play as Ren and Shenhua, I don't see how you can come from left field and call it an "amateur game" .

MadeManG74 and Tricky like this.
  5. Sonic The Fighters

I would like to see your reactions if that same shit happened to Virtua Fighter in 2019...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  6. Sonic The Fighters

Shenmue 1-2 are godlike.

Shenmue 3 is meh.

It's still an average game, budget or not.

If that was not the case, it would get the same reviews and the same score as Shenmue 1-2.

7. ICHIBANin10000

Yeah Shenmue 1 and 2 were meh, so you jumped to preorder Shenmue III. these are your words dude. Your logic is blowing my mind. Dude, honestly, you need to check yourself. Game critiques coming from a guy who's avatar and pseudonym is Sonic the freaking Hedgehog. Newsflash , pal, there hasn't been a decent Sonic game in 21 years. That's what you want to name yourself after, a game franchise that is absolute trash. It speaks volumes about your taste in games.

That said, Shenmue is not for everyone. It got an average of 7.5 in metacritic scores initially. It developed a cult following over the years. Nuanced touches like Quick Timer Events, which were lamblasted by everyone in the games press , were co-opted by nearly every gaming franchise over the past 20 years. It was one of the first open World adventure games, two years before GTA 3. People in the press dismissed it as Yu Suzuki's vanity project. In the end, the fans of Shenmue's cult following started to out number the naysayers. In fact , it was one of Shenmue's fans who also was a producer on Metal Gear Solid 4, Ryan Payton who came to Yu Suzuki and urged him to start a Kickstarter for Shenmue 3. After MGS 4 Payton worked for 343 Industries on Halo Guardians and later went indie with the stealth hit, Repulique, which he funded on Kickstarter. In the end , Shenmue's resurgence was initiated by the fans for the fans.

8. Sonic The Fighters

Sonic Bros was just a troll, if i could change i'll do it lol.

If Shenmue 3 is as good as 1-2, why we are only 3 people talking about the game at the moment...

Everyone would be like "oh man the game is godlike i can't stop playing it, Yu Suzuki is back, he gonna make a new VF"

Do you see that kind of hype on VFDC ?

Shenmue 3 is nowhere a great game as Shenmue 1-2.

In the first part of S3 you pass more than 10 hours to see nothing in the same village, and you have bet games everywhere in a lost village from China...

Like wtf maybe in a big city like Hong Kong ok, but come on man not in Bailu village.

Wtf is this shit and these creepy dead faces for Shenmue in 2019 ?

Dude i litteraly want to f***ing kill every NPC in this game even the kids lol it's so bad.

Where are the story, the cutscunes, the intelligent dialogs...

"OH YES IT'S THE SAME SHENMUE, IT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU TALK ABOUT FAKE FAN"

It just looks like a fanmade game but nothing as good as Shenmue 1-2

9. ICHIBANin10000

Mademan, we did it bro!! Hell has frozen over and Shenmue III has been released ! It was worth the 4 year wait. People don't understand, Shenmue has several layers. Even after I beat Shenmue 2 for the first time, I learned about Fangmei's birthday quest, the Duck Races quest, and the secret fight club above the Amberdeen arcades. Yu Suzuki is a freaking genious and a visionary. He will not disappoint . All this media buzz makes Shenmue 4 a near certainty.

Ryo's sneakers say "S3" on them, a self referential Easter egg to Shenmue 3. You can buy Sneakers with tokens that say "S4" . Suzuki-san is pretty confident we will get Shenmue 4.

Everybody knows the onions give the most HP. You can also buy sunflower seeds from Panda market that give 120 HP points. Being that the seeds only cost 4 yuan, thats a pretty good deal.

Fishing is way more effective way to make money. You can use a 10 yuan fishing pole and make 274 yuan by 1pm. Dont listen to the game advice that a better fishing pole catches bigger fish; I caught a 4,000 g white catfish with the 10 yuan rental . By the way the fishing minigame looks awesome, gives Sega bass fishing a run for its money!!! No way is this game low budget in production value.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    MadeManG74 likes this.
  10. MadeManG74

Yep, I'm enjoying it so far. I'm still not in love with the combat, but everything else I really like. I can only imagine what it would be like with a bigger budget!

I also love all the hidden things you can find in Shenmue 2, and the richness of the game world. I do love that they retained each character being unique and the dialogue options etc to give you directions instead of waypoint markets.
    I'm still really early on in the game, I only had a chance to really sit down and put proper time into it today!

Cmoney likes this.
  11. Sonic The Fighters

Maybe i am a bit too hard with Shenmue 3, cause yes it's still cool to get a new game today, to see Shenmue again...

But they have to fix some faces, some eyes or hair. Because some NPC are clearly fucked up.

They have to patch the glitch of the camera while the dialogs.

Fix the skip button for repetitiv dialogs.

Before talking about DLC or 4 !

Then i'll be ok with the game, i'll close my mouth and stop crying, even if some animations ...

I can accept that Shenmue 3 is less good than 1-2. And yes It could be a lot worst.

But man, a woman without hair ? Fix that bullshit.

Cmoney, beanboy and MadeManG74 like this.
  12. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

I haven't played Shenmue 3 yet. So that's why I can't comment much.
    Also, I think I'll have to revisit, the first 2 games too. Especially Shenmue 2, since I never played that one. And I still have to finish the first game.

13. beanboy

Pre-Dural? AHHHHH!:eek:

Sonic The Fighters likes this.
  14. ICHIBANin10000

Mademan , look away, Spoilers. !!!
    This is just fucking awesome.
    Anybody hating on Shenmue III is just playing themselves. You're on the wrong side of history, just like the jerks who criticised and dismissed Shenmue 1.

https://youtu.be/owkQc9Ih824

Can't hold it back. Sorry, it was too cool a moment. Only Yu Suzuki is such a genius as to develop an awesome move just using face buttons. You gain more XP for excecuting moves at fastest possible input. Does anybody know if they do more damage at fastest possible input?

beanboy and Cmoney like this.
  15. Sonic The Fighters

The game is really beautiful on PS4 Pro + 4k TV.

Graphics art style (particularly the backgrounds) and japanese voices are on point.

I'm an idiot, the game is clearly solid ...

and Ren is still so badass :cry:

MadeManG74 likes this.
  16. MadeManG74

That was a fast turnaround, but glad you're enjoying it!
    I've just gotten to the Panda Market and the town is really starting to open up more! Feels more like old Shenmue. I wish they'd had the whole town open from the start!

Sonic The Fighters likes this.
  17. beanboy

I see that some of the professional gaming sites, like Kotaku etc, have given it a low score. Why am I not surprised.:rolleyes::ROTFL:

But other sites, have given it some nice scores.

18. Sonic The Fighters

19. PERFECTCOMBO

PERFECTCOMBO Member

PSN:
    L1VE_STREAM_PC
    XBL:
    PERFECT COMBOX
    "I was expecting it to play like sleeping dogs" THIS GAME IS TRASH ;)

20. Sonic The Fighters

Sleeping Dogs is trash lol.

Edit : and Watch Dogs too :LOL:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019