1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Shenmue

Discussion in 'General' started by MadeManG74, Jan 27, 2019.

1. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Having just completed one of Yu Suzuki's other masterpieces in Shenmue I & II, I wanted to discuss with any other potential fans the first two games and the game(s) to come in the future.

It's amazing that even having finished the game multiple times, upon replaying it this year I still get tingles down the spine at the climax and key moments of both games. It's so great to see features in the game that still aren't replicated in most games today and the matchless atmosphere of Yokosuka, Wan Chai and Kowloon. Each area unique and utterly engrossing.

The soundtrack is still one of the most impressive I've had the pleasure to listen to, some of the greatest graphics and design in any game I've played and a captivating story thanks to the atmosphere and characters within the world.

I'm really excited for Shenmue III, eighteen years after the fact. How about you?

Shenmue 2 Story goes on.JPG

2. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

I'm embarrassed to admit, I have never played Shenmue.:p
    But I plan on doing so.

I have watched people play, Shenmue 1 on the dreamcast.
    Let's hope that Shenmue 3, will be a really good game, and somehow
    captures the atmosphere and spirit, like it's predecessors.
    And hopefully, lets hope that Yu Suzuki, still has his legendary
    game making skills too.:)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    MadeManG74 and jimi Claymore like this.
  3. nou

nou Well-Known Member

I just finished the first one last week. The previous time I did it was back in 2001. I grew to dislike this as a game as time grew, but revisiting it in 2018/2019 has been pretty mind blowing.

I started S2 for the first time ever earlier this week, but forgot to import my data from the first game so I have to start over. It's been a learning experience so far. I'm digging it but thinking I might need to let S1 sink in a little more before jumping into S2.

I've enjoyed reading posts about it S1 online and it's the same praises and complaints from early 2000's. Really excited for Shenmue 3 and regret not backing it, but I'm grabbing it day one.

MadeManG74 likes this.
  4. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

It's definitely worth playing, the games are pretty unique to this day, and do some amazing things. They're just really fun experiences too IMO. Just don't go in expecting Yakuza, it's a wildly different game.

I'm really glad to hear it's re-sparked your interest! I definitely think there's a lot to love about the games.

Playing Shenmue 2 for the first time will be a treat, it's such a great followup, and so distinct yet familiar. The atmosphere and pace changes quite a bit. Even the little things like the colour pallet used for both games makes them stand out so much from each-other and gives you a different feel for each game and location.

5. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Hey dudes. Dsp gaming is playing Shenmue 2 these days.:)
    He said he is planning to play Shenmue 3, when it comes out.
    I can't wait to see him, or Simmons from yovideogames play it.:)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    MadeManG74 and jimi Claymore like this.