1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

ShinZ step: exactly what does it refer to?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by ReCharredSigh, Apr 29, 2002.

1. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

note that it's not that i haven't seen the videos or know how to do it, but what i guess i'm asking is clarification of the term, does ShinZ step refer to either

a)the ability to cancel your crouch dash into another crouch dash

or

b)the ability to cancel your crouch dashes into more crouch dashes or into dashes and the like?

cause i'm sorta confused as to what the term refers to.

i hope you guys get what i'm asking, cause i'm frankly very confused as to exactly what it refers to.

and yes, i have used the search, luke. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

cancelling crouch dashes into other crouch dashes probably wasn't invented by shinz. I don' t think there's any one thing that makes something a 'shinz step'. For practical purposes you can think of it as "moving around like shinz". Watch the wealth of videos featuring him and there's your definition.

3. ReCharredSigh

'k, thanks, cause i was debating to myself if i should create a shinZ step FAQ; now after you told me the definition, if i am going to create such a FAQ, maybe i'd just call it VF4 movement FAQ or something like it.

4. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

yes, please do, VF4 movement still seems quite vague to me... and still quite linear... alot of matches i see, people don't really have the time to show off their step patterns until the round is over, but it just seems to lack a sense of depth seeing no dodglets or evade patterns... (not talking about CD buffer ~ evading either).

5. ReCharredSigh

'k, i'll try, but just to warn you guys, i don't have the dexterity of ShinZ himself, i can only try to put in stuff that i believe i've seen before in videos.

or my insight /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

i guess maybe you can help me by stating if G-cancelling a low-kick switches stances for EVERYONE(everyone can G-cancel their low kick, no?), cause i've seen ShinZ do this in the ShinZ step exhibitions.

6. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    No, not everyone can G-cancel their low kick. Read my post on <a target="_blank" href=http://virtuafighter.com/versuscity/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=versus&Number=37264&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0>Crouch Dash cancelling</a>, which everyone is insisting on calling the ShinZ step. Hopefully that should answer most of your questions.

7. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this one, Myke. Why on earth this being constantly referred to as "shinz step" is beyond me. It's not a technique, it's an inherent property of the game. Korean step was a technique, CD cancelling in VF4 is just that - CD cancelling. :p

cheers,

8. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

There's a bit more to the step than just CD cancelling. the game allows a sort of buffer a CD, meaning as long as your stick is at d/b (no matter how long you held there what button you press) you'll get a CD by another d/b (assuming you still have movement control at the time). A d/b (or d/f) can be the 2nd d/b of the previous CD and the first d/b or the following CD at the same time.
    When I think of ShinZ step I think of the smooth movement he brings to the character. Stuff like back hop > forward dash > 4 reverse CD cancels > repeating in a quick fashion. That's just eyecandy, and make you pee in your pants on the other end. It's something you just know when you see it. And a testament to how much time you waste on useless things in vf4.