1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Short impressions of VF4 ps2

Discussion in 'Console' started by Shadowdean, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Well, this is from a few hours at Shang's place.
    Good:
    1) The flow - this game definatly has a better flow to it.
    2) Character - now the fighters really feel as if they have come into their own.
    3) Speed - I am definatly digging the faster pace.
    Bad:
    Stage design - we turned off stage select cause it really just does not matter...Shang said it and I agree - it feels like a rush job..the platforms you fight on feel out of place in almost everyone of the stages and they are ALL the same friggen shape...it just gets really, really boring to me...Give me Pai's rooftop, Taka's sumo-circle, Lion's Church...I really feel the stages in VF3 have MUCH more character and are simply more interesting to fight in.
    2) Some character changes. Akira, at intermediate level play is an absolute Pig and Wolf is just rediculously overpowered from what I could tell. My fav. fighter Sarah...what can I say...does someone at AM2 have something against her?? She continues to get worse...
    3) Sidestepping. GIve me my E button. Hell, if you could get as good as a sidestep as you could with the E button with the joystick inputs I would be happy...but thus far, I don't see it.
    4) Leg "catching" - as when you tried to do a sweep, the leg just now goes right through the person if blocked as apposed to getting caught up on the person as it did in 3. I found it really does detract from the game having this removed...again a step backwards.

Overall, the gameplay is GENERALLY better, but has taken some hits..but its still VF and currently the best fighter out and I plan on enjoying it for some time...but I still can't help but wonder what VF might of been had Sega been in better financial shape.

2. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

I think for visuals the PS2 version still pretty far away from the arcade, im looking forward to the X-Box version as it should be alot better.

3. EvilBowlOfCereal

EvilBowlOfCereal Active Member

The things you listed I hate. hehe /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

4. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

Which things??

5. EvilBowlOfCereal

a button for side stepping and the vf3 type levels.

6. Shadowdean

Not to make an attack, but you like levels which all basically play the same and everything else is eyecandy in the back ground not affecting ANYTHING whatsoever????? WHy didn't you like the button? I find it much more percise. Back to levels - I like having things NOT always the same, that makes things more varied thus more interesting.

7. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Josh, not to rain on your parade, but how much of VF4 have you played, honestly, to make a truly well-informed comparison between VF3 and 4? One session at Shang's place doesn't cut it.

My friends and I have played VF4 3~4 times a week for 8 months now, and nobody has an issue with flat stages or the lack of an E button (and remember that Japanese VF3 tournaments were almost always played on Akira's or Taka's stage anyway). You're entitled to your opinion, obviously, but so is everybody else...

8. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    WHy didn't you like the button? I find it much more percise.

Exactly how is the button more precise? In VF3, most dodges were accompanied with a joystick direction anyway, so all VF4 has done is to remove the need for the button. If anything, VF4's dodging is more refined and leaves less room for error.

If anyone else is thinking of giving their impressions on VF4, please spare us! Most people here have now played VF4 enough now to render a 'first impressions' report all but useless.

9. EvilBowlOfCereal

Just that the unleveled stages have a few glitching issues. a good exsample was one time I was playing my friend on the church level and I did f,f+P+G with Jacky and he did the grab move but I was 3 feet away doing a grab. looked odd. Also its annoying when you want to juggle and sometimes the player is just on a uneven platform or whatever.

For strafing I like just double tapping up and down to straf. Like in VF4,T4,SC,DOA,ect. I find it out of the way for me to have to press a button to move in a direction to avoid a hit. But like feixaQ said, "You're entitled to your opinion, obviously, but so is everybody else... "

10. Shadowdean

I've played this series, fighting games, and video games in general to know my preferances.
    Sooo, from there
    For the throwing button, it is my opinion.
    For stages: I think that I am qualified. If I get bored with looking at and playing on the stages in a mere few hours, I shudder to think what my long term reactions may be.
    Just one thing on the "In Japan they don't.." response...do I nesisairly care what the japanese gamer market thinks on this subject? No.

11. Torneko

Torneko Well-Known Member

I think flat Square stages are fine, there are enough new elements in VF4, for you not to have to worry about undulation.

Plus flat square stages are fair for match, as oppose to slanted Pai rooftop of VF3.

12. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

The button was better myke, come off it!

13. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

offtopic:

you don't happen to play first person shooters, do you (cereal)?
    like quake?

14. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Stop trying to add to your legion of first person junkies!!!!

15. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

hey, it works.

You should give it another try. We have a more fair stage now that everyone sucks at: Ziggurat Vertigo. It has ultralow gravity so hitting people when they jump is hard, they float hundreds of feet across the screen.

16. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

I'm on the fence now regarding the E button... I'm not the most dexterous person, so partly it's my own lousy hands, but I sometimes get the 8-way walk when I just want to crouch and that can be very bad... In VF3, you crouch when you want to crouch and move when you want to move. In VF4, I almost always tap up to dodge simply because I don't trust what will happen when I tap down. This is also bad, as it puts me in a quandry when I just know Jeff is going to try for a MC knee instead of throw countering and I want to dodge to his back to make sure the knee whiffs, but that is out of the screen (tap down) and I hesitate and then... I'm floated anyway because of that slight hesitation... I know... just block and counter the knee... but I want to do more than that sometimes...

17. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

how is that on the fence?
    You want the frigging E button like I do!
    /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

18. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

I like the easier crouch dashing in VF4...
    <shrug>
    It's not the most important part of the game to me... I never learned to K-step.
    Dodges work great the way AM2 wanted them as a form of attack reversal... I don't think they really care about 3D movement out in the open.. The japanese style is in your face aggression.

19. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Yupa -- just double tap down when you want to dodge down. (Single tap up is OK.) Works all the time for me.

20. EvilBowlOfCereal

Yes CreeD I do play Q3A. Mainly Instagib servers. I use the name EvilBowlOfCereal and I also use Kibbles n' Bits. Seen me?