1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Should I get VF4 or wait for Tekken 4

Discussion in 'Console' started by DarkClown, Mar 20, 2002.

1. DarkClown

DarkClown New Member

Which should I get? I don't know if I should get VF4 because 3tb was the worst fighting game that I've ever played in my life.

2. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Honestly, play whichever game is more fun.

For the gamers in our particular group most of us are hardcore Virtua Fighter players. Other games we play include Tekken, Street Fighter and KOF.

Personally the only game I play nowadays is VF4. Most of our traditional non-VF4 players have been converted and are starting to enjoy the game.

To thoroughly enjoy any game the ultimate fun comes from competition and improvement of ones skills.

Lots of people don't understand the VF series in general and are usually put off by the initial learning curve required to play the game. This is not because VF is difficult to learn but rather it deviates from traditional Street Fighter controls.

Fortunately VF4 has a very good, if not the best training mode ever to be featured in a fighting game. It's straight-forward and explains the higher level aspects and skills in the game. If you ever get the oppurtunity to complete one of these particular traing modes you'll understand why you never enjoyed VF3TB.

The main difference between VF and Tekken is that VF4 has a heavy emphasis on vulnerability rather than offensive potential. This makes VF much more enjoyable as good and bad players are differentiated not only about how well they attack but on how well they can defend. Thus you need balanced attack and defense to suceed at higher levels.

You didn't enjoy VF3TB because you simply don't understand the game. Ask the majority of VF players who are competent at Tekken which they would choose and they'd choose VF. The problem is there are much more average/good Tekken players than poor/average VF players. Generally in Western countries.

VF also possesses a unique balance, in which there is an offensive and defensive solution to every situation. Thus there is a long and steady learning curve. Knowledge of combos are important but are no where near as important as tactics to create combo chances and reduction of combo damage.
    -Risk vs Reward
    -Linear and Non-Linear Attacks
    -High/Mid/low
    -Throw and Throw escapes
    -Reversals
    -Sabaki
    -Crumble
    -Initiative
    -Tech Rolling
    The above are basic VF4 concepts and skills.

Many people in the world would simply get a PS2 and 2 sticks solely for VF4. To succeed at VF4 you simply need lots of practice and experience. Its a long road to that success and there are no recipes or quick fixes(though this site provides a wealth of information). Most of us here have played the entire VF series for years and feel we have much to learn still, but isn't that the whole point of gaming.

3. RealAikiVF

RealAikiVF New Member

Being the determinist that I am, the correct answer will be that you will pick the game that most appeals to you. I'm sure that helped a lot!

4. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Gosh, what sort of answer do you think you might get on <a target="_blank" href=http://www.virtuafighter.com>www.virtuafighter.com</a>?

You're probably better off getting tekken, then you can go post on tekken zaibatsu and spare us.

5. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

creed, i don't think he'd get the right answer on tekken zaibatsu either... it's simply too baiased to ask an only VF or only tekken board, try a general fighting game board, or atleased justify why you did'nt like VF3.

otherwise, the only answer is to get nice & basic DoA3... VF button layout and vague characteristics with tekken supreme combos & power hits. (sheesh how blind are those stupid techmo fans?)

6. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

dark clown, many are called but few are chosen. Stay away from VF4 if you hated VF3 so much. VF is like chess, only liquid. It is like Kung Fu in that study rewards the student. VF is the thinking man's fighter. Go to zibatsu.

7. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

well, if you played vf2 before and liked it, you should get vf4; vf4 is more akin to vf2 than vf3tb; only has some subtle things from vf3tb. but honestly, if you aren't willing to practice hard with the game, stay away from vf at all; notice how most people simply won't play vf because they don't want to bother actually learning the game *gasp*

but yeah, to echo creed, why are you asking us? you know what we're going to say; you should be glad that no one's ragging on you for calling vf3tb the worst fighting game ever; i admit it was a bit hard to get used to, but once i got past that, it was pretty fun.

to be honest though, i noticed how more tekken people are moving from TK4 to VF4; a lotta them complain how TK4 was lacking something; that might help you decide what to choose.

8. BakuBaku

BakuBaku Well-Known Member

Why dont ya get both. Nothing really against liking both VF and T4. I dont think there should ever be a which one I should buy when there is a 5th month period in between releases.

9. Murasame

Murasame Well-Known Member

Damn you just beat me to it....yes T4 is a good 5 months away, so get VF4 now

Although VF4 STILL hasn't come out where I am...

10. plan17

plan17 Active Member

to be honest, i don't think he's really looking for a real answer, we're supposed to flame him and then he goes to Tekken board except he says Tekken 3 was the worst game he ever played. Give me a break, no one is this stupid.

11. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

VF4 mechanics are MUCH more like VF3 than VF2. Let's get that straight.

Please guys, it's embarrassing to see such marketing nonsense being tossed around as truth on VFDC.

12. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

ice, you could'nt be more right.. IMO part 3 was the peak of VF, some of the greatest stepping techniques were founded there, and some still stayed there, if VF3 was not liked.... there is no chance for part 4, unless your a graphics hunter.

heck, it's like when SC was so darn popular when soul blade/edge was barley even disscussed.. do not forget where games come from or you will be confused as to how they develop.

13. BakuBaku

BakuBaku Well-Known Member

Yeh im pretty sure when SC2 comes out people are gonna whine about cheap weapon breaking techs that we used in Soul Blade.

14. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

my bad; what do i know? /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

it just seemed more vf2-ish with the loss of the ludicrous korean stepping and the revival of the fast LP; but the evades are still there.

but feel free to enlighten me so i don't get the wrong impression again.

15. DarkClown

DarkClown New Member

Man screw you guys that flamed me. I wanted to hear WHY VF4 is so much better than the other fighting games, when someone comes and disses something you like you defend it, you don't make fun of them. See if I come here again. I'm getting VF4 by the way, ordering it thursday.

16. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

laff, if you wanted to see why it was so much better, why didn't you ask that? dumbass. It's not like there aren't 1000 posts every day that don't make it obvious why it's better.

17. Nemesis02

Nemesis02 Well-Known Member

Well I'd say get VF4... I'm normally not a big fighter game fan, but this game is different. It's a really good game, but personally it I were you, I'd screw Tekken off and just wait until the new Mortal Kombat is released....