1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Should SEGA let Tekken fans get Kazuma Kiryu?

Discussion in 'General' started by Adamay, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Adamay

Adamay Well-Known Member

With the new trailers of Season 2 of Tekken 7 a ton of people got angry that Kazuma Kiryu and Goro Majima from Yakuza weren't featured. Do you think SEGA is reserving them for VF6? Would all those Yakuza fans try VF if they announce any of their characters in VF6? Just take a read at the comment section and see all the people asking for Kazuma Kiryu/Majima:

An this year's articles about fans wanting the SEGA character to be in Tekken:

https://www.gamereactor.eu/news/646243/Bandai+Namco+are+free+to+use+Kazuma+Kiryu+in+Tekken+7/

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/814542-tekken-7/75262724

https://www.reddit.com/r/yakuzagames/comments/8svarf/can_we_get_kiryu_and_majima_in_tekken_7/

2. Sonic The Fighters

Sonic The Fighters Well-Known Member

Don't touch at Kiryu, Majima, Ryo... from SEGA games.

These characters are for VF6.

Adamay, beanboy and emperorshadox like this.
  3. GustavoHeisenberg

GustavoHeisenberg Well-Known Member

sure it doesn't matter anyway, they can pipmp out any character to harada

4. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

It's kinda cool, that they want sega characters, in Tekken.
    And it shows, that sega's characters, are still loved to this day.

But me,........I'd tell sega, to do something way more cooler.

Eg. Take all of those characters, and put them, in a brand new
    Fighters Megamix sequel.:)

And we can call it:
    Fighters Megamix: Battle Colosseum.:)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    jimi Claymore likes this.
  5. Adamay

Adamay Well-Known Member

I think it would be a massive stupidity from SEGA to not capitalize the popularity that Yakuza has to promote other company's game instead of VF6! In this day and age fighting games sell because of the hype value the generate with announcements, like it or not.

jimi Claymore likes this.
  6. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

I don't want guests in VF. Put them in as costumes, but I'd rather not bloat the roster with characters that overlap others and might not be in future games etc.

I have no problem with them being in Tekken or whatever other company wants them in a fighting game.

Having said that, I have no problem if Sega wants to make a Fighters Megamix 2, but I prefer the VF roster not start implementing guests.

7. Adamay

Adamay Well-Known Member

It's not that VF will have problems getting the rights of their very own SEGA characters for future VFs.

Look at DOA with Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden and KOF with Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, Psycho Soldier, Ikari Warriors, Buriki One, Savage Reign, Metal Slug and Samurai Shodown. And SF with Rival Schools and Final Fight. Tekken/Soul Calibur with Yoshimitsu.

Fighters Megamix is cool if you want a battle royale of freak characters like a Daytona car, a balloon bear and dystopian cyberpunk characters like Last Bronx and Fighting Vipers.

Not that VF will put a character with no relation with hand to hand combat or martial arts like Negan from The Walking Dead. Yakuza has such a massive reception in the west that I keep reading that people who aren't fighting game fans are willing to buy Tekken or even Smash Ultimate just to play as Kiryu or Goro and that is huge.

Marvel, Super Smash Bros. and Tekken showed how successful shared universes are. They sell and bring attention beyond their hardcore realms.

I'm pretty sure all of us want VF to be successful worldwide. It's the right time to do it.

8. Stl_Tim

Stl_Tim Well-Known Member

Tekken should be proud to receive new challenger:
    • D-Trump

9. MadeManG74

I understand what you're saying, but I also don't know how much guest characters help sales. Soul Calibur has been on a downward spiral in sales even with their guest characters, and Marvel Infinite was a disappointment for Capcom too.

It's really just a personal thing, but I'd rather VF stay VF, not expand to include other characters.

10. Adamay

Adamay Well-Known Member

It does extend the life of a game considerably with constant announcements in form of trailers or just a simple troll tweet from the developers. People get attracted to that kind of contact with the consumers even if they are not fan of the game itself. It does give you press too. And what they say about press. All kind of press it's helpful.

I think the seasonal updates instead of re-releasing the game with "Super/Turbo/Ultra/R/FinalTuned/FinalShodown" kind of stuff it's a thing of the past. Why buy the same game with some updates when you can patch it without any additional fee? I hope VF6 takes this approach like Killer Instinct and SFV. SFV started horribly but managed to climb to the top with their updates. KI was super interesting with their seasonal announcements even though I never played it. Because I loved the constant trailers they put on.

There's something about teasing the silhouettes of the next season's characters that make people TALK. In the case of VF I hope they have some kind of a fine curation for the selection of characters they want to put more in the line of what KI did where every character for the most part feels unique and not just a mere palette swap or clone character.

I think SEGA has such a rich roster of characters that it can make it possible.

11. Thesch28

Thesch28 Well-Known Member

No but i wound't like to see guest characters in VF even less this season DLC stuff, if SEGA is gonna put random SEGA characters in a game then that game has to be Fighters Megamix 2.

MadeManG74 likes this.
  12. Adamay

Adamay Well-Known Member

13. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Is this why Mark Man was visiting SEGA?

14. Adamay

Adamay Well-Known Member

It seems so yes. He is a hardcore Yakuza fan. Too many coincidences. There's no way he visited SEGA for VF.

15. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    If that's the case, then his tweet about his visit to SEGA doesn't make sense:

The tweet implies that they did not talk about Yakuza, even though he wanted to.

*waves hand* these are not the droids you're looking for.

16. Dragonps

Dragonps Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ENGDragon83
    XBL:
    ENGDragon83
    I think he went to Sega to maybe try and get VF at EVO Japan. I'm sure it was nothing to do with Sega guest characters in Tekken

17. Sonic The Fighters

Sonic The Fighters Well-Known Member

If Kiryu or Ryo come in Tekken instead of Virtua Fighter, that would be very disapointing and maybe that means VF6 is not coming soon.

18. MadeManG74

Good, let Namco be the containment zone for guest characters.

As Mike said, it's unlikely he was actually telling about Yakuza though.
    If he did, why would Sega say no?

19. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    *raises hand* Oh! Pick me! Pick me!

Because if he were asking to have VF there as an official title it probably required some financial support to which they refused. I really doubt he would have asked them if it were OK to have the game there represented unofficially (e.g. side tourney).

20. MadeManG74

I was thinking along the same lines, but still.
    I guess they have no problem with something like Beat Tribe but might not want to pay if that's the case.
    I'd be curious as to why they'd go for VF as a main title if they had the others there throwing money at them though? If they wanted local numbers, a side tournament would pull it too, no?