1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

should vfx be simpler

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Guest, Oct 29, 2000.

1. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Re: A step in the wrong direction

He also went on to become a comedian, making fun of himself, but we don't see him on HBO do we? Not as a comedian anyways... Maybe he'll be on Showtime or Skinemax/images/icons/tongue.gif

2. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Let's get it right out. All the cards on the table. <font color=orange>I *love* VF2!</font color=orange> There, i've said it. I'm really really biased here. ;)

cheers,

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

3. Llanfair

Hmmmm...now that's deep.

Are you on crack?

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

4. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

Re: movement problems?

moving is difficult to learn/input. case in point k-step. can u imagine a newbie figuring out k-step just by looking? and the rewards for moving are too subtle for newbies.

ahh but K-stepping is an advanced technique. Any one who can find
    forward or backward on their sticks is qualified to move
    around in VF3. This is like the argument from Hiro when he
    said that before you started to master the tricks of VF3
    you first had to master the basics. Makes sense. People trying
    to K-step before they understand why are doing things
    backwards anyway.

ps. this is in addition to godeater's point about flash in games. frankly how a game becomes popular has a lot more issues than this, like marketing,advertising,etc. look at mortal kombat, i still have no fucking idea how that game became such a hit..

the blood. the fatalities. the quick pay offs. I input
    b, f+P and get a green ball of fire. I input f,f,f+P and
    take my opponents head off at the end of the round. I
    actually played MK but didn't like certain things about it.
    MK2 came out and the crowds around it in Toronto were
    immense. Everyone oohed and awwed when the announcer's
    words came up and dripped blood. MK was popular for the
    same reasons television can keep sending out re-heated
    sitcoms with factory plots and make a living. People's
    tastes are usually unspectacular, run to the banal. They
    aren't looking for "being John Malkovitch", they stand in
    line for "coyote ugly".

GE

5. Chanchai

Nothing wrong with loving VF2/images/icons/smile.gif

As far as I know, you're not the only one on this forum (so to speak anyways).

However, I LOVE VF3, but I hate bad sticks at most, if not all, arcades that have VF3 left (Grand Central Station Alley in Portland, Gameworks in Seattle). VF2 is awesome though (the SSF2T of VF imo).

6. Finsane

Finsane Member

Sega can make money with simple and attractive titles, but doing this with the VF series would be betraying a loyal group of players. Why try to get everyone to play VF, when you can make all kinds of other games for the big audience.

Virtua Fighter. The name says it. The concept of the game is virtual fighting, and that cannot be achieved with simple gameplay. And of course the series is a classic, and should stay that way.

Not that I'm not worried about Sega's financial situation... There just should be other ways to solve it.

7. Chanchai

Another question one should think about...

Should Sega make VF appeal to the Japanese players or the Western players? Simplifying the game appeals more to the western gamers than it does to the Japanese or Korean players. At least that's how I see it. The game is being designed as an arcade, Japan's arcade scene seems pretty healthy still to me. More players understand VF there. And Sega's concerns are mostly in Japan as far as I can tell, since their performance there has more effect on their decisions than the US. No matter how it is made, that first week and the launch of the game are most likely going to be big in Japan. People lined up at the arcades, around the block, big parties, etc...

Also keep in mind that the Western Arcade scene isn't all that big with the exception of very, very few locations. Maybe the European players can speak out on the arcade scene in their area and the appeal of the gamers. However, based on a lot of posts by them, it sounds nearly identical to the US.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm just trying to have some fun and I get raped.
    Egad!
    It always seems to be the same people that pick on me too.

...maybe I am just paranoid.

-Emil the Mistake Maker

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Sheesh!

Lighten up there dude! I'm harmless.

Your acting like someone who had his penis sliced off.

-Emil

10. Guest

Guest Guest

"Let's get it right out. All the cards on the table. I *love* VF2! There, i've said it. I'm really really biased here. ;)"

I guess better not write anything stating why I think VF3 is much superior to VF2. I will probably have to endure a torrent of abuse.

-Emil

11. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Internationalise VF?

Regarding to appealing the western gamers...
    In the project Berkley interview disc I got,
    Yu specifically mentioned VF as a 'local' game in Japan. It seems not much people outside of Japan know much abt the game. Of course, there are exceptions such a Taiwan, Korea...US, Asia.

But if u compare that number with MGS, TTT or DOA2, then our stats are quite pitiful.

Thus, one of the main objectives of Shenmue is to make sure it is a 'INTERNATIONAL GAME'. He envisioned the game to such that anyone from any corner of the blue orb could just pick it up n play without any hassles. Thus the relatively simple yet fun method of fighting in the game.

The important thing he did mentioned in the disc is quite clear.

He likes making games that are true to life. Past creations like hang on, G-LOC, outrun..etc they weren't the most realistic of all games. But hey, that was the best he could do with hardware at the time.

with the Naomi 2...he can do anything he wants.

So, expect the game to be more realistic, in terms of graphics n the fighting engine.

SummErs' 'REALLY HATE LAW N ECONOMICS EXAMS!!!'
    n' misses his gf VERY MUCH/images/icons/frown.gif

12. Chanchai

Re: Internationalise VF?

I'll just try not to expect anything at all and play the game when it comes along. If I like it, I'll play it. If I love it, I'll really be into the game. If I'm disappointed enough to not really play it, that's okay, I'll still play VF3. Maybe even move onto VF2 as well, but I really hate the sticks on the only machine I know of in Portland.

Also note that Llan said he loves VF2. He didn't say VF2 was better than VF3 nor the opposite. I'm dead sure he has extremely good reason to love VF2 more than 3. Heck, if I understand correctly, Hiro loves VF2 more than VF3. I love VF3 more than VF2. Opinions, opinions/images/icons/smile.gif

13. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Re: Internationalise VF?

U know...if the game turns out to be something us two won't enjoy, at least there's always SF3rd strike or the latest incarnation to fall back on/images/icons/smile.gif

SummErs' 'REALLY HATE LAW N ECONOMICS EXAMS!!!'
    n' misses his gf VERY MUCH/images/icons/frown.gif

14. Llanfair

No offense - but I've never seen you even touch a VF2 cabinet, let alone play the game. I'd love to hear your opinions and, of course, your ample amount of play time on both games to justify them.

cheers,

15. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

Re: Sheesh!

>Your acting like someone who had his penis sliced off.

people who part unwillingly with their genitals post sarcastic messages on a VF web boards?

--
    "A chem bla deshembla blurr fuh bli fouzh"

16. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

>It always seems to be the same people that pick on me too.

if curiousity towards, and/or asking directly for, your reasons for thinking one way or your having a certain opinion, as well as responding with a counterpoint, is considered "picking on you"...oh well.

--
    "A chem bla deshembla blurr fuh bli fouzh"

17. Emil

Emil Well-Known Member

"jesus christ man"
    "are you on crack?"

These type of comments seem to head my way whenever a post something somebody merely disagrees with.

Is there any reason for these comments?

-Emil

18. Emil

Emil Well-Known Member

A sad state of affairs

Yesterday I wrote:
    "If mistake-makers are able to capitalize on their second chances are they really mistake-makers?"
    This statement is easy to punch holes in. You could carefully read it and write a clever response that undermines what I said or you could say someting somewhat like...
    "isn't that deep" and%

19. Emil

Emil Well-Known Member

Re: Sheesh!

"people who part unwillingly with their genitals post sarcastic messages on a VF web boards?"

People who part unwillingly with their genitals would probably react in a very harsh manner.

-Emil

20. Emil

Emil Well-Known Member

A sad state of affairs(this one)

Yesterday I wrote:
    "If mistake-makers are able to capitalize on their second chances are they really mistake-makers?"
    This statement is easy to punch holes in. You could carefully read it and write a clever response that undermines what I said or you could say something somewhat like...
    "isn't that deep" and/or "are you on crack".

Right now we could be comparing VF2 to VF3 and talking about what features of both games would be good for VFX.

Instead things like this are being written.

"No offense - but I've never seen you even touch a VF2 cabinet, let alone play the game. I'd love to hear your opinions and, of course, your ample amount of play time on both games to justify them."

I think you would rather ridicule my opinions and mock me than analyze and discuss my opinions. Hopefully I'm wrong about this.

-Emil
    btw I am not on crack