1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Shun: Ask a Question, Get an Answer

Discussion in 'Shun' started by Chill, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Chill

Chill +40 DP Content Manager Shun Gold Supporter

PSN:
    Chill58
    XBL:
    Chill PKG
    This thread is for all questions on playing Shun. If you are a new player, please refer to the Wiki and Combo sections at the top of the site firstly, as well as the Shun Resources Thread:

Wiki - http://virtuafighter.com/wiki/shun/
    Combo list - http://virtuafighter.com/combos/list?ver=5fsa&chara=shun
    Shun Resources Thread - http://virtuafighter.com/threads/shun-resources-thread.19828/

Any questions are welcome, for example:

- I keep getting beat out by X move or character, what do I do?
    - What is the best way to use X move,
    - General strategy questions.
    - General Shun drinking questions.

Ask away!

2. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

I have a question! I've been using a Shun a bit recently and he's a lot of fun. I find my opponents knocking me out of lie down stance with long range lows.

Does P+K crush lows with the right timing from this stance?
    If so, does shun have a re-stand, or is his best option 6+K+G into 43P+K, P?

3. Chill

PSN:
    Chill58
    XBL:
    Chill PKG
    Yes it does crush lows - Buuutttt from memory it's active frames are very late (personally I wouldn't use it). The best special high moves have immediate active frames so you can crush lows without worrying about timing.

There's not much you can do to completely beat out a low attack. [K] or [P] are quick and can counter the attack, or maybe [4][P][+][K][+][G] for spacing.

If they are at quite a long range then use [6][P][+][K][+][G]. But generally when you're in stance Shun isn't very mobile, so you have to decide how to proceed quickly. And that will mean deciding between using his forward roll which is long range, or any of his other attacks which are short range - There aren't any attacks in-between these ranges so spacing is important.

4. Phoxx

Phoxx Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Phoxx__
    XBL:
    Phoxx 3D
    You can only really crush lows when shun's feet are facing the opponent. And even then, since the move is high, it's no guarantee your opponent will be standing in time to take the hit. I agree with Chill that spacing is probably your better option.

5. MadeManG74

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've found myself rolling out of danger instead with shun when I get a knockdown and I know they are going to do a low rising kick to knock my out of Ouishin.

I haven't found many opportunities to use his roll forward attacks from the stance though, might just be that I haven't been looking for them. With Shun he has so many moves I'll find myself suddenly remembering during the match 'Oh right, I can do THIS'.

6. MadeManG74

What is guaranteed after Shun's Ouishin (lying down stance) catch throws? The seem to give huge advantage but the distance is an issue. I usually go for 6,6,P+K and that seems to work, but not sure if there is a better launcher.

7. Kruza

Kruza Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Kruza
    I'm pretty sure it's possible to do the [2][3][6][P]([P]) uppercut to launch for a combo after executing the catch throw from Oushin. The uppercut actually reaches the opponent although it may not look like it on screen.

Kruza

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    MadeManG74 likes this.
  8. Chill

PSN:
    Chill58
    XBL:
    Chill PKG
    Yeah Chouwan is the 'go-to' launcher after catch throw.

You might have already noticed this but there is a different advantage depending whether Shun is in the back-turned Oushin stance or his normal Oushin stance.

So his normal (feet towards) throw is +16, and his BT (head towards) is +20. Both will guarantee a Chouwan and combo, but if you don't have +6 drinks your options will differ:

For BT Oushin throw you have enough advantage to hit with [8][K][+][G] or [6][6][K] for a combo.

For normal Oushin throw there isn't enough advantage for a launcher. But [4][6][P][+][K] -> [P] (from Choukarou) is a guaranteed sequence. At +4 drinks you can do [P][P] from Choukarou for an extra hit.

MadeManG74 likes this.
  9. MadeManG74

Thanks guys, I didn't think Chouwan would reach, but that's super useful as it's such a good combo starter.

Chill: I did notice they had different adv after connecting, I'd probably rather go for 8KG when I get the backturned one so I can get an easy 5 drinks or some damage.

I've been trying to use 46PK more often too, it seems really handy as it's positive on block too I believe.

10. Neonomide

Neonomide Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Neonomide
    Near a wall 46P+K on NH guarantees P+K, K, P nonsense which can hit for 120+ dmg. Not sure if it's strugglable, since the wall.

Oh yes 46P+K has lots of + frames. On NH it's +15 guarantees CHOU P and turns opponent BT. On block it's +6 so P+K series or K (CH launcher) are options that beat even fastest attacks.

11. Neonomide

PSN:
    Neonomide
    Highest damage combos here come from 6K+G, PP4P series, but not all Ps necessarily hit against everyone.

MadeManG74 likes this.
  12. Neonomide

PSN:
    Neonomide
    I agree FT OUS is the best situation for fishing for OUS P+K.
    Doing 9K on block gives +5 OUS and allows for most other OUS craziness too. One can try 9P+K on block for BT OUS but it's much less consistent.
    Waiting just a little while usually does the trick after 9K to OUS. Works against standing P too. KPK is much more consistent though in OUS and in BT OUS from 9P+K doing K the OUS Mule Kick crushes both P and 2P.

I'd like to add evading after a blocked P works against 2P and K+G beats 2P here and is not very counterable.

13. Thesch28

Thesch28 Well-Known Member

@Chill Hello, I'm new to the forums and i wanted to point out that in the VF3tb Shun Di command list the Flipover Mule Kick is on the wrong place, this is Handstand Position move but for some reason it's on the throws section.
    I was wondering if you could fix this.
    Thanks for taking the time to read this message.

Tricky likes this.
  14. Chill

PSN:
    Chill58
    XBL:
    Chill PKG
  15. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    @Thesch28 thanks for raising this issue, the Flipover Mule Kick is now in it's rightful place.

Thesch28 likes this.
  16. Eg0r

Eg0r New Member

Всем привет!

Как в перерывах между раундами выпить 3 напитка с Шуном вместо одного?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  17. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Either beat the opponent with [P]/[3][K]/A wall slump/etc. and before the time ends do [6][P][+][K], or do [3][P][4] and then mash [P][+][K][+][G] (doing the latter should get you 4).

Eg0r likes this.