1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

shun help please

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by uk_kid, Nov 21, 2000.

1. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

just wondering exactly how to do shun's TB intro combo?
    and what is a good follow-up to his b,d/f+pg throw?
    where can i go for shun combos? any good sites?
    after d/f+p+g i do chouwan-backfist, b,d/f+p, d,U+p. are there better (damage-wise) combos with which to follow up this throw/SE?
    and, a sake query: obviously shun needs to drink to be able to increase his number of available moves, but which moves increase in damage after sake?(i.e. moves he can already do, but which aren't as damaging 'pre-drinking')
    cheers to anyone with any help

2. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Hey there,

Well, first of all, I recommend checking the faqs at Gamefaqs. IMO, they are both pretty good and have their good points. I'll give you a quick link to them for the sake of it.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/coinop/arcade/file/virtua_fighter_3_shun.txt
    This is Lars Sorenson's translation of Ki Nam Kwon's Shun faq. By reputation, Ki Nam is an excellent Shun player, I believe he's Danish (as Lars notes). Of English Shun material, I recommend this one. Lots of good stuff.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/dreamcast/file/virtua_fighter_3_shun_di_a.txt
    Alex Wallis' Shun faq. This one is more recent and is pretty much towards VF3tb, so that's a definite bonus. I recommend you check out both faqs.

Also, don't forget about Kris Amico's site. http://www.krisamico.com/vf3
    This is VF3 Miscellany, there's some random tactics on the page as well as some pretty good stuff. He has a translation of Shun's character video which should give you a good start. Has a nice basic flowchart that's pretty easy to understand (actually, flowcharts are pretty easy to understand once you take the bit of time to get used to them).

Well, I'm not really in the caring mood for the TB intro combos at all, but there's a list out there for it. Could be here at VFDC, could be on gamefaqs... I've seen it around.

Well, I don't use b, df P G throw much... Probably because in my mind, you may as well do df P G (unless you need variety, which is often called for anyways). I basically have two followups for df P G:
    When I want to drink-- Evade to get directly behind them and immediately do the backthrow. Took me about 10 minutes of practicing to get the hang of dodging to the appropriate side, but I still mess up every now and then, but at least I get a side throw. Overall, good damage and drink points, this one is good.

The other option is as you know, chouwan. Since it's guaranteed and all. For me, I'm no expert at Shun combos, in fact, I haven't even worked on them much yet... probably the weakness of my Shun... he's more of a dance around flowchart or piss off the other guy with low kicks shun. However, you can do another chouwan after the first. If you really want to know, checkout the movie clips with Nelson. Typically whenever I see his matches, I see a consistancy in his chouwan combos. I think the practice sessions with Andy would be the best bet to find out some good combos.

Well, I'm not one for damage stats... But there are so many advantages to being drunk that the damage doesn't matter as much to me (well, knowing the damage I mean)... Shun has a lot of guarantee followups at that point, well, if you can manage to get certain things to hit anyways.

I wish you well with playing with Shun, I know I've had a blast working on him the last month. Read those faqs, they are good. For a quick read, try the character tape translation, it gets to the point of basics.

I can tell you two things that are consistant in my Shun (he has a lot of tools by my standards and all, but you'll almost always see these two things). Low kicks and PP sequences.

-Chanchai

3. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

i could be so wrong...but i THINK all shun's
    moves gain a 5% increase in damage every time he
    drinks. this is most likely bullshit, so correct
    me if i'm wrong.

<font color=red>PICCOLO</font color=red>

4. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

5% was the gained advantage in VF2 but I
    remember hearing the same thing was true
    in VF3.

Here's a small bit of knowledge that few
    people knew about. In VF2 Shun had a
    small quirk (intentional or not I have no
    idea) where if any move he hit the opponent
    with major countered then every
    move that shun was able to tag on after
    that initial hit in a combo registered
    major counter damage! Shun's floats were
    small but they all did huge amounts of damage.

example. Shun MC's with his OMH (D,f+P) he
    tags a chouwan (d,df,f+P) and then half dashes
    forward into drunken sweeps (d+P+K,k,k). The
    chouwan and sweeps both get major counter
    modifiers even though they are not really
    major countering at all.

Why tell all of you this? Well, sometimes
    I am convinced the same trait has carried
    over into VF3. I have a few staple combos
    on tape that seem to do damage over top of
    what the math says it should. a heck of a
    lot more.

GE

5. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

1% per 1 drink point.

P+G throw, for example, gives Shun 5 points = 5% increase in damage.

6. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

geez.... no wonder...

7. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

all this talk about MC float damage just happens to remind me of a really sick bug in the US version of saturn vf2. and i mean, it's really disgusting. set it to 2.1, and do a float. any float. say, knee, kickflip with jacky. 135 points! jeff's knee P P knee pounce will KO instantly. cute, soa. let's have ALL the floats, ANY float count count as MC. rah!

--
    "The world ends tomorrow AND YOU MIGHT DIE!!!"

8. Sudden_Death

hmmm, you mean the japanese saturn version
    doesn't have this!? interesting....

9. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

nope. see, soa released it early for the holidays in 1995. the japanese version was released later, more bug free and with more stuff. the japanese version actually has jacky's bird in it.

--
    "The world ends tomorrow AND YOU MIGHT DIE!!!"

10. Sudden_Death

I remenmber getting the japanese version first
    even if the american version was coming the next
    day (for that store), i never knew the us version
    was actually out first! and oh boy was i glad i
    had the japanese version, one of the things they
    took out was shun's redness when he has a lot of
    drinks , now I wonder if it was censorship or
    just coulnt get it in the game in time of
    release. But until now i never knew they also
    took out the bird!!! that's a shame, i figure it
    would be in the us version, but its not!
    incredible!

11. GodEater

shun does not get red on the American version,
    it is true. But if you get enough drinks into
    him he will turn ghostly white. Not kidding.
    It looks as though he is glowing.

GE

12. Sudden_Death

are you talking about the shun on sarah stage
    bug?
    he gets white cause of the lightning strike
    effect (no real light source effect I hear) gets
    stuck on him..

13. GodEater